BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-11-2024, 09:17 AM   #1
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92-M3 Comp

Vanos Covers

How good are the vanos covers from Evolve? Im doing NRW valve covers and plugs and everything related very soon. I might as well do the vanos covers as well. What are y'alls thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 11:41 PM   #2
Johnny E92
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbaja5t View Post
How good are the vanos covers from Evolve? Im doing NRW valve covers and plugs and everything related very soon. I might as well do the vanos covers as well. What are y'alls thoughts?
I知 doing the same thing and I have the NRW valve covers, NRW billet spark plug tubes and the NRW gasket kit.

I知 also doing the throttle actuators (better rebuild ones) at the same time, as well as the vanos covers. However I opted for the Mporium bolt on vanos covers, I知 not saying the Evolve ones are not good, but the bolt on ones from Mporium look to be a better solution in my personal opinion.

The Mporium ones are a bit more labour intensive to fit though, as they require the motor to be re-timed, as they involve removal and replacement of the vanos stretch bolts (if you get the complete kit from Mporium it includes OEM stretch bolts and also the gaskets for the vanos cover housing).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 09:16 AM   #3
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92-M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny E92 View Post
I知 doing the same thing and I have the NRW valve covers, NRW billet spark plug tubes and the NRW gasket kit.

I知 also doing the throttle actuators (better rebuild ones) at the same time, as well as the vanos covers. However I opted for the Mporium bolt on vanos covers, I知 not saying the Evolve ones are not good, but the bolt on ones from Mporium look to be a better solution in my personal opinion.

The Mporium ones are a bit more labour intensive to fit though, as they require the motor to be re-timed, as they involve removal and replacement of the vanos stretch bolts (if you get the complete kit from Mporium it includes OEM stretch bolts and also the gaskets for the vanos cover housing).
Re-timing the engine is something I don't want to do right now. I kind of want to keep cost down, as I am putting back capital for an F80 in the very near future.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 01:30 AM   #4
ThisIsTheWay
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, G87 M2, E39 M5, F90 M5

I have a friend whose Vanos unit spring exploded and put a hole in the valve cover and upper timing cover. After seeing this I don't think the clip-on covers can handle that force. Something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 02:00 AM   #5
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsTheWay View Post
I have a friend whose Vanos unit spring exploded and put a hole in the valve cover and upper timing cover. After seeing this I don't think the clip-on covers can handle that force. Something to think about.
Your friend had bigger problems than his choice of vanos caps if his spring exploded. The plastic caps would never have prevented that either. Nothing short of Carbahn or Mporium caps would have worked but again, what causes the spring to dislodge in the first place?
Appreciate 1
amg6975500.00
      Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #6
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I知 going to get my vanos covers changed and NRW valve covers fitted.

Can this be done without changing the oil - or does the oil need to be drained? I知 asking because my oil is only a couple of thousand miles old, so if it doesn稚 need to be drained I壇 rather leave it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

You don't need to change engine oil.
Appreciate 0