BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #23
14_deltaM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36m3 euro —>e92m3

My daily before the e92m3 was a 2017 STI. Surprisingly, as others have mentioned, both cars have a similar approach to driving in terms of feedback and control, with both cars also having a more playful side. The m3 is much more easily provoked though, which makes it more fun at lower speeds. Top end power and engine flexibility is also leagues different between the two, and of course refinement and luxury. M3 is just an ideal combo of attributes for me currently. I do love the STI though, which has an analogue and enjoyable driving experience that the latest cars just can’t replicate.

As an aside both cars hugely practical, too. The latest STI is very spacious, carrying more than a e91 wagon, but for a coupe the e92 has great space.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 06:08 AM   #24
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN624 View Post
I'm an owner of both cars...2006 STI Limited and a 2008 E90 M3. I'll say, I love them both equally. I had a 2005 STI which was stock but then I came across the "oh hey let's grow up" facade, and sold it and bought the E90 M3. But I still missed the STI, so I found a 2006 STI Limited and park them both next to each other. It's fun to have both of them because both are four door performance cars and both are fantastic pieces of engineering that do different things best. For the more comfortable road trip car, going out to an event or nice dinner, I take the M3 because it's got the "image". For everyday driving around and occasional track days and when I don't really give a heck what people think, I'll take the STI. Granted both are black on black and the STI is the limited (which means it has black leather seats, small wing and revised NVH countermeasures in place), so I do stay under the radar with the STI as well. The M3 of course costs more to run and parts are a lot more expensive. I love both equally so that's why I own both of them. You can't go wrong with either way...
How does the ride quality compare between the STI & the M3 in terms of daily driving over 30 minutes?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #25
LKN624
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' E90 M3 and 08' E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
How does the ride quality compare between the STI & the M3 in terms of daily driving over 30 minutes?
The M3 no doubt. The STI is bearable but it is a very bouncy ride, especially with the cobblestone roads we have here in Germany. The M3 is a much more refined and "Autobahn Stormer" than the STI.

One way to improve the the ride quality of the STI is to swap to the Prodrive Springs and thrown on some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. The Prodrive springs are a progressive spring which filters out first and second order road inputs. The Michelin's have a much more forgiving side wall than say Bridgestones or whatever. Keep the rest of the car stock and the STI is pretty decent to drive but still miles behind the M3.
Appreciate 0