BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

OEM Edition grilles & gills: Thanks, IND!

Ordered the OEM Edition black chrome front grilles and side gills from Ilia and Nate at IND earlier his week. They came as promised in just a few days, packed securely with loving care.

It took me only about 45min for the entire project. Thanks to BimmerM for his great DIY guide (easy method) for changing the side gills: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531297
The "packing tape handle" method is brilliant and keeps you from dinging up the car with screwdrivers or other tools. It just takes a little bit of faith that you won't break something as you're pulling, but firm and gentle pressure does the trick. And thanks for the heads-up on not letting the wiring fall back behind the fender!

By the way, I know there has been discussion on whether this DIY applies to the E90 since it has a slightly different side gill design. The center strip with the turn signal indicator is the same whether E92/3 or E90, though, the only difference being that you don't need the leading-edge plastic cup part from the E92. Simply don't use that part if you're installing on a sedan. Since the E90 has the removable plastic honeycomb strips above and below the center turn signal strip that you're replacing, I just put wide painter's tape over the honeycomb sections, extending to the fender so that the honeycomb sections wouldn't pull out when I was removing the center sections. Worked like a charm.

As for the front grilles, also using BimmerM's DIY, I found it easiest to use my fingers to press the tabs in and wriggle the grilles out. It definitely helps to look at the tab arrangement on your replacements first to get an idea of where you need to apply pressure.

The black chrome matches the window trim and side mirror trim perfectly. Now I can't wait for spring to put my black GTS wheels back on!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
mesropb23
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Does it really match the trim and mirrors perfectly? I thought it was more of a black chrome than a gloss
      01-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Mind posting some pics of the side gills installed? I can't decide what to do for my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesropb23 View Post
Does it really match the trim and mirrors perfectly? I thought it was more of a black chrome than a gloss
They are very subtly different when looked at side-by-side but from 5 ft you can't tell the difference. And the Edition grills do look great IMO with the standard gloss trim, much better than the grills that come from the factory...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesropb23 View Post
They are slightly different when you look at them very closely but they look really good with the gloss trim. The Edition parts are not cheap but they are beautiful parts. They feel very "substantial", not like cheesy aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0