BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #23
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Touchless is fine. It's the toothbrushes of destruction you need to worry about.
We're talking about convertible water leaks here, not paint swirls.
      10-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I honestly feel like I need to add something else here. That is, you need to be aware that you may never get a "perfect" M3.
This was my first thought after reading it. It seems like you are really nitpicking and taking the car to the dealer expecting everything to be perfect. I hope you have success getting rid of your M3, and I hope you purchase a new car from another manufacturer, because I'm not sure you will ever be happy with an M3. Could you describe these two things in more detail:

getting my seat replaced due to cracking
Steering wheel started peeling.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
We're talking about convertible water leaks here, not paint swirls.
D'OH!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #26
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Like everyone else said, push for dealer buy back but reserve the lawyers as a last resort. Some dealerships can be understanding
      10-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #27
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

A car even an expensive one is destined to be used, age deteriorate with time and eventually fail. A small leak in a convertible roof is a minor problem. Yes It is reasonable to expect a repair attempt with some improvment. But car noises, seat crackling or driving wheel peel is nothing BMW should ever have to pay you for. You bought a car not an atomic clock or an intellectual property or trade secret. I do not think you quite understand that your world of entitlement is a fantasy you live in like too many other people like you. It does not matter that you paid 70K for it, every car $150K, $200K, $400K will have some pbs. That dealer has been extremely gracious with you even you admit it yourself: "My dealership [...] took care of stuff that I know they are not suppose to". Most of the problem you list if not all fall in that category. What I see reading you is not a problem with your car but a non satisfied customer with a brand's particular convertible product. Just sell that car already so that another owner can really appreciate it. Meanwhile go ahead and design your own hardtop convertible that will not leak. The problem in america is that everyone and their cousin thinks they are entitled to ***t! or else they will effing sue. me,me, ME ! is all that matters. I know one good old fashioned way to cure that wrong turn of character and that is a good kick in **** ******* **** and that mister is the only service your dealer failed you with.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #28
M3twins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT

Umm... Okay?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #29
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
A car even an expensive one is destined to be used, age deteriorate with time and eventually fail. A small leak in a convertible roof is a minor problem. Yes It is reasonable to expect a repair attempt with some improvment. But car noises, seat crackling or driving wheel peel is nothing BMW should ever have to pay you for. You bought a car not an atomic clock or an intellectual property or trade secret. I do not think you quite understand that your world of entitlement is a fantasy you live in like too many other people like you. It does not matter that you paid 70K for it, every car $150K, $200K, $400K will have some pbs. That dealer has been extremely gracious with you even you admit it yourself: "My dealership [...] took care of stuff that I know they are not suppose to". Most of the problem you list if not all fall in that category. What I see reading you is not a problem with your car but a non satisfied customer with a brand's particular convertible product. Just sell that car already so that another owner can really appreciate it. Meanwhile go ahead and design your own hardtop convertible that will not leak. The problem in america is that everyone and their cousin thinks they are entitled to ***t! or else they will effing sue. me,me, ME ! is all that matters. I know one good old fashioned way to cure that wrong turn of character and that is a good kick in **** ******* **** and that mister is the only service your dealer failed you with.

It's not about entitlement. The car didn't age or deteriorate, it was bad from the get go. I don't know about you, but no matter how much money I spend on anything, I want it to work correctly. By your reasoning we shoudl all accept half-assed, poorly built products of any nature simply because they're going to fail eventually.

Good god you're a tool.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #30
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
LEMON THAT BITCH. How many miles you have on the car? I actually read your whole post and wow do I feel bad for you. And I complain about a trunk/passenger door rattle....

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #31
KSMatic
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
This was my first thought after reading it. It seems like you are really nitpicking and taking the car to the dealer expecting everything to be perfect. I hope you have success getting rid of your M3, and I hope you purchase a new car from another manufacturer, because I'm not sure you will ever be happy with an M3. Could you describe these two things in more detail:

getting my seat replaced due to cracking
Steering wheel started peeling.
The car seats had crack since the beginning, I did inform my sales who sold me the car that if the seats gets worse, I can bring it back anytime to get it replaced. After a few thousand miles, I can see the "white" lines in the leather more visible than ever compared to before. It could be coming from me only but both seats have the same issue at the time of pick up and result is the same. I drive mostly myself so I know that these seats were previously swapped. The same dealership also informed me that they are going to swap out my seats with another M3 since its taking too long for delivery from Germany. Meaning, same thing could of happened with me.

Steering Wheel, the area on top of the steering wheel control button is peeling off from both sides. Service advisor did inform me that this is a common problem and they do have a few of these in stock for issues like this.

For those people who think im nickpicking. This is not the issue here, I bought a car, it should be working fine in the first place. I drove it home and found issues with it and wanted to get it resolved. I see water leaks EVERY car wash. I'm in Los Angeles, so it hasn't been raining but imagine if it was raining like somewhere up north... I would be driving around in a BRAND NEW M3 with duct tape over my roof? Kind of stupid if you ask me. I want a functional, not perfect car. This is clearly NOT functional to what it suppose to do. My radio went out, great, they fixed it. Sound went out, great, they fixed it. The front suspension makes noise, great, its one of those Recalls, they fixed it. Roof started rattling after their attempt to fix the leak, great, its still there. Should I live with a roof leak problem since the beginning of November 2008 or should I attempt to have the dealer fix it? Thats what I did, have the dealer attempt to fix it and 7 tries later, 6 loaner cars down the line, 11 months later, I'm making this thread.

If the dealership offers the buy-back, id go with a 2009 BMW M3 coupe and not a convertible anymore. It was a bad experience for me but everyone has different experience for a convertible.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #32
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 MG M2

I had my 135i bought back by the dealer. The car spent about 1 month and a half in the dealership out of 10 months of ownership.. BMW NA saw a similar post of mine that listed all the problems I was having and contacted me through PMs to start the buyback process. I would suggest you go BMWNA route. If you go through attorneys, which I also explored, they take a percentage (15%) of the value they get the car bought back for. If BMWNA agrees to buy it back you can save that fee.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #33
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

um...is this a common issue with the new m3 vert? I really want one, but this scares me. I used to have an accord before with a sunroof and it leaked. I know how you feel as I really hate any leaking issue in a car.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #34
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

No, this is actually the first case I've heard a bunch of noise about. I've seen a few report that high-pressure car washes have caused very minor leaks, which is common to all convertibles.

Mine is completely leak-free, even in the high-pressure car wash.
      10-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #35
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 MG M2

Quote:
No, this is actually the first case I've heard a bunch of noise about. I've seen a few report that high-pressure car washes have caused very minor leaks, which is common to all convertibles.

same with mine *knock on wood*
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #36
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
There was one other guy with a big thread about a leaky rood. I think it was xtremecruiser, who posted above in this thread also. But I agree it is rare. It seems to me that there must be an issue with a broken or poorly fitted rubber seal in these cases. It's hard to imagine that, if the top appears to be aligned properly from an outward appearance and is closing properly as well that it could still have some gaps somewher that would allow water to get in - unless, like I say, a seal is damaged in some way.

Quote:
Mine was leak free even in the washes when it was newer, but now it leaks a little bit. I've probably use the high pressure wash a couple dozen times in the year I've had it. My E46 was the same way - leaked more with age. It doesn't bother me since I have owned many convertibles and expect them to loosen up a bit with time. As long as it doesn't leak in the rain and when I spray it down in my yard, I'm cool. Others may have stiffer requirements though, and those people may wish to weigh the choice of getting a convertible a bit more carefully.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #37
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes, I agree. One thing that helps is to use silicone spray lubricant every so often on all the rubber seals and weather-stripping. It keeps the rubber from becoming dry and more brittle, which can lead to loss of a tight seal. It also keeps that stuff from squeaking when rubbing.
      10-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #38
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMatic View Post
The car seats had crack since the beginning, I did inform my sales who sold me the car that if the seats gets worse
wat? How did the seats have cracks in them since the beginning? Any chance you can take pics of your seats and steering wheel trim?
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #39
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecruiser View Post
Lawyer up, BMWNA will do nothing but waist your time and hope you go away.
It could be worse, yours could leak like mine.
Never take legal advice from a person who uses the word "waist" instead of "waste" incorrectly in a sentence.

Give BMWNA a chance first. It seems like they're starting to do the right thing.
      10-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #40
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sounds like the tweaks the dealership did to the top did more harm than good. Unfortunate. The thing is, in my experience with convertibles (BMW and otherwise) there isn't one out there that will be both 100% noise and leak free in all situations. At 17k miles, my car has some rattles and squeaks. Now, it doesn't leak other than in a high pressure touchless wash (which the manual recommends against). If it leaked either in the rain or when washed with a bucket or sprayed with hose from the spigot on my house, I'd definitely be inclined to take it to a dealership as you did. However I would do so with a large degree of trepidation, because, given the shear complexity of the top, I just don't have faith that the dealership will be able to make it any better, and might make it worse.

Cheers, and again, good luck

Ditto, given the level of expertiese I've found at dealerships over the years, I'd suspect they just made it worse. The top is a very complex mechanism and I'd hate to let anyone start "adjusting" on mine. I hope you get things worked out as I too have an '08 M3 Vert and really enjoy the car. I do get an occaisonal drip down the driver's side window when washing - but no big deal and pretty standard for most verts (at least all the ones I've owned over the years). I also have the occaisonal rear roof rattle when in the up position, but it is only an occaisonal event and I can live with it. Sweet car -sorry you are having such issues with yours.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #41
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLap View Post
I also have the occaisonal rear roof rattle when in the up position, but it is only an occaisonal event and I can live with it.
Does this, by any chance, happen only when it's been sitting stationary in the rain?

The reason I ask is I noticed it was only after that circumstance that I ever heard any noise from the top and spent some time trouble-shooting it. I found when the car is stationary and gets wet, water seeps onto the rubber seal around the rear deck. It doesn't leak inside, but it is the wet rubber seal rubbing against the top which makes this nose. When I dried it, it was instantly gone.

It doesn't occur if the car is getting wet while in motion, because the water is forced backward and away from the seal.
      10-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #42
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:
Does this, by any chance, happen only when it's been sitting stationary in the rain?

The reason I ask is I noticed it was only after that circumstance that I ever heard any noise from the top and spent some time trouble-shooting it. I found when the car is stationary and gets wet, water seeps onto the rubber seal around the rear deck. It doesn't leak inside, but it is the wet rubber seal rubbing against the top which makes this nose. When I dried it, it was instantly gone.

It doesn't occur if the car is getting wet while in motion, because the water is forced backward and away from the seal.
Foosh, we don't get much rain here in SoCal, so I don't think that's it. Mine just rattles a bit from the rear passenger piller area - like a hydraulic line or something is rattling - I've been meaning to investigate but it is so infrequent I really haven't been too bothered with it yet. Another thing that seemed to help quiet the top down was treating all the rubber weatherstriping seals with a rubber conditoner. I'm going to start doing that more often as it seemed to make the top close seal easier and quieted down the top while driving as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #43
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes, I recommended silicone spray above (post #37). It is particularly good for rubber seals.
      10-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #44
neewawins
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Conv.

i have an'09 vert...only issue so far is the DCT lag that everyone seems to talk about...lags in 2nd gear and then jumps. also minor shaking between 1st abnd 2nd when the car is cold and hasn't been driven for a few days. other than that it is ok and a thrill with 3500 miles
Appreciate 0