BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

02-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

E90 M3 with Nav or without Nav?

I am on the verge of purchasing a E90 M3 as my 'temporary' daily driver for the next year to two years. I am wondering if I should get an E90 M3 (sedan) with the infotainment system or without one? My previous E92 M3 had one and I used its navigation when travelling to 'foreign lands', but at the same time, other than switching the media input, and looking at tire pressure and oil levels, I didn't really use it.

So the question is, should I get a car with the infotainment system in 2020? Also, will having one or not having one affect the resale value if I sell it some time in 2021? Thanks!

P.S. I do not mind the two humps that some people dislike.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
s0ldats
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 stripper

resale wise, single hump will continue to hold an increasing premium year after year
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

It's really up to you.
      02-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Eddybro
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne e90 and SG e92

for me personally i looked for a single hump for the simple reason of visibility based on seating position. if you like the height of the stock seats (i didn't because it felt like i was driving an suv) typically this won't be a concern. however if you prefer a lower seating position afforded by aftermarket race seats with brackets, which are lower and create a different driving dynamic, the infotainment system will impede on the visibility to place your right front section of the car(driving in US). it's also a fantastically shaped view from the lower seating position with a single hump, and i started to notice the fabulous shape that the single hump paints from the lowered seating position.
werdn656.00
      02-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
tacoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1989 E30 M3 and 2010 E90 M3

I have a single hump and love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #6
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

I still have a hard time understanding the hate of the nav.

I'm one of the few who prefers the layout of the dash with nav. I also prefer the layout of radio in the nav screen vs the ordinary non nav with orange back lit lighting. While the tech is reportedly dated, I think it suits the car well. And I agree, if in an unfamiliar area it's nice to have the gps there, even if I have a phone to use as well.

Resale is hit or miss. Unless you truly have a 6MT slick top cloth no nav stripper, the resale of nav or no nav is negligible IMO.

Since you are not dead set either way, I would say maintenance history and price/miles should trump the option of nav or no nav.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
werdn656.00
      02-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
whack6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 AW/FR

single hump, analog for the win... there will come a time when these will be viewed as the last true m cars, and the purer the example the better. my 2 cents
Appreciate 2
werdn656.00
Ab28592.50
      02-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #8
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I still have a hard time understanding the hate of the nav.

I'm one of the few who prefers the layout of the dash with nav. I also prefer the layout of radio in the nav screen vs the ordinary non nav with orange back lit lighting. While the tech is reportedly dated, I think it suits the car well. And I agree, if in an unfamiliar area it's nice to have the gps there, even if I have a phone to use as well.

Resale is hit or miss. Unless you truly have a 6MT slick top cloth no nav stripper, the resale of nav or no nav is negligible IMO.

Since you are not dead set either way, I would say maintenance history and price/miles should trump the option of nav or no nav.
I don’t consider my nav dated, certainly in the context of a 2011 vehicle. I wouldn’t care for the original DVD systems, so it depends on MY E90 imho. The OP is interested in daily duty, and I’d definitely want it in that capacity. My map is switched to satellite imagery vs the cartoon sketches on most systems, and I have nice resolution album art coming from my spotify app with a simple usb connection via lightning cable. The vast majority of apple carplay applications on the market today require a hardwire connection for that functionality too. Personally think this system is aging well...you should spend time in my 2009 R8 to help frame that up.
      02-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by whack6 View Post
single hump, analog for the win... there will come a time when these will be viewed as the last true m cars, and the purer the example the better. my 2 cents
It doesn't really change the driving experience though. You still have the s65 there nav or no nav. however a 6mt or DCT obviously change the driving experience.
Appreciate 2
werdn656.00
      02-29-2020, 11:56 PM   #10
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I never use it. As a matter of fact, I never use my 2020 Lexus Navi as well...Living in NJ/NYC area, Waze is the fastest, best way for any quick navigation use.

With that said, however, I too don't really understand this "hype" over NON-NAV FTMFW crowd. The nav actually does flow better with the whole design, and having a map just in case is not so bad. Also displays other options you can easily access through the screen.

I think this nav vs non-nav should NOT be the issue here. Any E90 in good condition, especially in a 6MT form is very difficult to come through. I'd rather choose one with a better condition/history regardless of it having an idrive or not.
      03-01-2020, 12:38 AM   #11
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
I never use it. As a matter of fact, I never use my 2020 Lexus Navi as well...Living in NJ/NYC area, Waze is the fastest, best way for any quick navigation use.

With that said, however, I too don't really understand this "hype" over NON-NAV FTMFW crowd. The nav actually does flow better with the whole design, and having a map just in case is not so bad. Also displays other options you can easily access through the screen.

I think this nav vs non-nav should NOT be the issue here. Any E90 in good condition, especially in a 6MT form is very difficult to come through. I'd rather choose one with a better condition/history regardless of it having an idrive or not.
Yes, I understand that finding one in good condition is important. The problem is I have 2 in sight, both did RB and TA's, one has navigation, the other (slightly more expensive) doesn't have it. I'm just wondering which I should go with.

I'm at a dilemma because I like the non navigation car's color more, but I actually liked the idrive when I owned my m3 back then
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 01:28 AM   #12
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
Yes, I understand that finding one in good condition is important. The problem is I have 2 in sight, both did RB and TA's, one has navigation, the other (slightly more expensive) doesn't have it. I'm just wondering which I should go with.

I'm at a dilemma because I like the non navigation car's color more, but I actually liked the idrive when I owned my m3 back then
I'd go with Non-Nav model if there isn't much price difference.
Assuming that you use your phone for most of the nav function, the ONLY other things I use through idrive is (in my opinion) vehicle status (service required, check status) and easy access to vehicle settings (warning sounds, climate etc)
and sound equalizer for audio.
I think exterior color of your choice is more important than these noted above, as exterior color is something you'll face every single day lol
      03-01-2020, 01:34 AM   #13
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

iDrive is a lot more than just GPS...
I have it and am glad I do, but I understand the appeal of a stripper build. That said, iDrive alone has no effect (+ or -) on resale.
Get whichever you prefer and if you don’t care, it’ll make finding “the right one” even easier.
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #14
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

I never used the factory BMW nav in my 2012 M3, but after installing a CIC carplay unit, I've found myself using Waze on the screen every day.. it warns you of cops ahead, traffic, etc. If you're not a fan of how dated the factory system looks, keep in mind there are carplay/android auto options now that bring the old infotainment system up to date.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #15
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

OP, start with finding a nice well maintained E90. Whether nav or not seems less important.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post

Go with the one you want, to won't regret the extra money spent later if you really want the no nav car. But not having nav isn't worth getting a car in bad shape or the color you don't like etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #17
Rusty_Schackleford
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1985 Yugo

I've had both and I prefer no iDrive.

I put around 137k on my first E92 M3 with iDrive and the screen dumped the bed around 120k. That's not a big deal since it was fixable, I just prefer the cleaner look of the non-iDrive/single hump. The cleaner the better IMO and it will also never look dated.

Pic from my current car:

Appreciate 3
elvism287.00
werdn656.00
      03-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #18
GoodTime
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3; 1991 BMW 318is

I have an '08 with the CCC iDrive, and it's definitely not useful, but it's so dated it's borderline charming.

It certainly doesn't bother me, and I agree, having the large screen is nice for music / radio controls and looking at some of the vehicle info screens.

Would I prefer single hump? Maybe? Not a big enough deal for me that I was willing to pay any more or less for a car based on nav status.

The nav interiors have still aged better than moooost vehicles their age. There was at least still some attempt to merge the nav's enclosure with the dash as a whole.

Disclaimer: I'm not very cool and retro electronics are a bit of a hobby, so you may just want to take anything I say about car tech and assume the opposite.
      03-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #19
GoodTime
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3; 1991 BMW 318is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattle_headd View Post

I put around 137k on my first E92 M3 with iDrive and the screen dumped the bed around 120k. That's not a big deal since it was fixable, I just prefer the cleaner look of the non-iDrive/single hump. The cleaner the better IMO and it will also never look dated.

Pic from my current car:

[pic]
Beautiful interior!
      03-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #20
s0ldats
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 stripper

Quote:

Pic from my current car:

your interior is so good! what seats?
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #21
Rusty_Schackleford
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1985 Yugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ldats View Post
Quote:

Pic from my current car:

your interior is so good! what seats?
Thanks, they are Recaro Profi XL's
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #22
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I don't care about the Nav, but I care about most the other stuff I look at in that second hump (song display from thumb drive and instant access to various items using those 6 buttons like equalizer, bass, satellite radio rewind, text messages, and more). And since my car has been coded to play videos/movies while the car is moving, I find the 2nd screen very useful for my passengers when I take trips.

So, for me, I wouldn't buy an E9X without the 2nd hump...completely useful for me when I'm just cruising around town or taking trips.
Appreciate 0