BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Ti brake shims

Hello everyone,
I would like to know if someone of you has tried or knows the titanium brake shims and what opinion they have about them.
Suppliers say they use them as a heat shield and help keep heat from passing as much into the caliper and therefore into brake fluid as well as reducing potential squeals.

An example:

https://hardbrakes.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=6

Regards

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochen_00 View Post
Hello everyone,
I would like to know if someone of you has tried or knows the titanium brake shims and what opinion they have about them.
Suppliers say they use them as a heat shield and help keep heat from passing as much into the caliper and therefore into brake fluid as well as reducing potential squeals.

An example:

https://hardbrakes.com/index.php?mai...ex&cPath=6

Regards
I use them only on the track with pagid rs29 pads on ST60/40. Doesn't do anything for squeal. But given my ST (non trophy) are aluminum pistons figured it was worth the additional heat protection. No issues with boiling Motul 600 fluid.

Granted I only have 10 tracks (all last summer), but they seem to help the caliper paint resist turning brown. Hoping for another 10 days in 2020.
      04-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I've used them in several cars. They work depending on the degree of your overheating problem. They will stop some heat reaching your fluid, but not all of it. So if you're starting to see fade at the end of your sessions, this may let you go an extra lap or two.

As mentioned above they also have the benefit of reducing heat to the caliper paint. When I got my Brembo GT BBK, I had it repainted Dakar Yellow to match my M3, and ran it for a year or so without Ti shims cos I didn't think I'd need them. After 2 trackdays, the caliper paint started to turn dark. I had them repainted and this time I installed Ti shims. They have been fine ever since.

My previous car was a Megane RS250 which saw extensive track time. I ran that with Ti shims from day one and the original caliper paint never turned dark for the 5 yrs I had the car.

Last edited by Redd; 04-20-2020 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you very much for the answers. I have a 6pot front brake brembo kit from a porsche gt3 997 and behind it a 4pot rear brake brembo from 4s 997. The front one has the ceramic pistons and therefore has not affected the paint on my caliper, but on the calipers rear the color as you said has darkened a bit and even come out as bubbles in the paint.

On track day I didn't have any signs of fading or vibration or anything. The truth is that I am very happy with the brake kit but it was to avoid darkening the paint on the caliper.
On the other hand to improve ventilation I will look to remove the rotors protectors and will put paint indicative of temperature on the rotors and stickers indicating temperature on the calipers.

To avoid screeching, I had read that you could put "CRC disc brake quiet" paste between the Ti shims and the pads to avoid the screaming, but I don't know how it might work or if I would have to put that paste somewhere else.

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochen_00 View Post
Hello everyone,

An example:

https://hardbrakes.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=6

Regards

I ran these on my E46 M3, they work fine but make plenty of noise. In theory you'd only use them at the track
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

I've run hardbrakes Ti shims in 4 different cars. Never had squeal. Just put some anti-squeal compound between the shims and the pads during Install.
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you so much all for the comments

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Caliper discoloration won't stop just from titanium shims. It comes along with track usage. Any serious race car will have anodized which don't really color shift.

My bright red ones turned dark red after about a dozen track days. Oh well.
      04-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Caliper discoloration won't stop just from titanium shims. It comes along with track usage. Any serious race car will have anodized which don't really color shift.

My bright red ones turned dark red after about a dozen track days. Oh well.
With Ti shims?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
With Ti shims?

I don't use Ti shims. What I meant to say is that using them will not stop discoloration. They do have performance benefits in some cases though.
      05-04-2020, 11:56 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I use them only on the track with pagid rs29 pads on ST60/40. Doesn't do anything for squeal. But given my ST (non trophy) are aluminum pistons figured it was worth the additional heat protection. No issues with boiling Motul 600 fluid.

Granted I only have 10 tracks (all last summer), but they seem to help the caliper paint resist turning brown. Hoping for another 10 days in 2020.
Where did you get shims for the ST60 caliper?
Laguna Seca always darkens my ST60 pain even when I'm being easy on the brakes.
Thanks!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post

Where did you get shims for the ST60 caliper?
Laguna Seca always darkens my ST60 pain even when I'm being easy on the brakes.
Thanks!
Ebay -

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRe...8;sid=o-kushon
      05-08-2020, 11:32 PM   #13
Grillpt
Private
Rep

I tracked my evo for 9yrs and always ran Ti shims. Makes no difference in the calipers changing color.. the all become brownbos with time. Tire, pad/rotor setup and driver speed are the biggest factors here imo
Appreciate 0