BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

05-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

You know, performance wise, it is very special, but there are other cheaper options that give similar performance at a better value.

Looks wise, that's a different subject. But you can get a GT3, Lotus, or even the new F-Type Jaguar for a lot less (new V8 Jag with a factory warranty comes in under $100,000), and it will be a good 80% - 90% of a head turner.

Even a V8 Vantage would be cheaper to maintain and still be amazing looking.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #24
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
In his defense, even the navigation on the 2008 135i that you drive seems like Atari compared to the 2009+ systems and it does make the car look dated. It was one of my biggest gripes about E46 M3s when I was looking at them. His point regarding the lower maintenance costs of a newer BMW vs and older Lambo are also valid. Sometimes you have to look past the giant boner you get from owning a Lambo and see what it would really be like to live with it every day. I'm not sure why you're taking issue with some very real truths.
But who really uses Navi on their cars? Most people i know route to places with their iphone or android smartphones.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
HebbNH
Resident Cacodemon Expert
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
In his defense, even the navigation on the 2008 135i that you drive seems like Atari compared to the 2009+ systems and it does make the car look dated. It was one of my biggest gripes about E46 M3s when I was looking at them. His point regarding the lower maintenance costs of a newer BMW vs and older Lambo are also valid. Sometimes you have to look past the giant boner you get from owning a Lambo and see what it would really be like to live with it every day. I'm not sure why you're taking issue with some very real truths.
I wouldn't know about the navi on my '08 vs '09 and newer because my car doesn't have navi. Don't see the point in paying extra for in-car navigation when my phone can do the same thing for free. Maintenance costs...sure. But if you can afford to drop $90K on a car, then you shouldn't have an issue covering said costs. If it's a problem, then you really had no business getting that car in the first place IMO. The only thing I really take issue with is him saying an older car is basically undriveable because it's outdated. I just find it to be a ridiculous statement that completely misses the point of why anyone would want to own a Lambo in the first place, and I'd imagine any true enthusiast would feel the same way. I also have a '97 Supra turbo, and if it had more cargo space, I would happily daily drive that and sell my 135 without thinking twice about it.
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
But who really uses Navi on their cars? Most people i know route to places with their iphone or android smartphones.
I always say Navi when referring to the iDrive system. I rarely used the nav function on mine but the on board computer was great. The whole interface in pre-2009 cars looks archaic.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HebbNH View Post
I wouldn't know about the navi on my '08 vs '09 and newer because my car doesn't have navi. Don't see the point in paying extra for in-car navigation when my phone can do the same thing for free. Maintenance costs...sure. But if you can afford to drop $90K on a car, then you shouldn't have an issue covering said costs. If it's a problem, then you really had no business getting that car in the first place IMO. The only thing I really take issue with is him saying an older car is basically undriveable because it's outdated. I just find it to be a ridiculous statement that completely misses the point of why anyone would want to own a Lambo in the first place, and I'd imagine any true enthusiast would feel the same way. I also have a '97 Supra turbo, and if it had more cargo space, I would happily daily drive that and sell my 135 without thinking twice about it.
I think what he meant was that it's in that strange void of not being new and reliable (as new cars tend to be), nor being old enough to be collectible. It's at that stage when you'll be the the guy with all of his fingers in the dam of reliability. Your Supra is a different story as those cars are largely bulletproof and easy to maintain - two things that a Gallardo is not. Realistically, the more prudent decision is likely what he originally suggested which was to buy a newer premo BMW with a warranty over the aging exotic.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 05-08-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
///ADMAN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
OP: Either you are a Lambo fan or not. And, a lot of people haven't ever driven one.
If you have, then you understand. I would love to pick up a used Gallardo too. 2005 or 2007.
Then, I'd take it to Underground Racing and have them do their TT magic on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebbNH View Post
Seriously? 8 years old is too old if you want to drive a car? I guess everyone who still drives an E46 M3 or a MKIV Supra or a 993 911 is just crazy then? And who the hell cares if the electonics are a little dated? If I was driving a Lambo, I'm pretty sure the electronics are the last thing I'd notice. Get real, dude.

A E46 M3 or Supra ??? comparing to a hand made exotic costing A LOT more is going to be MUCH different 8 years old. and more harder and more expensive to fix.

Its like people are to stupid to function these days. comparing a fucking M3 to a lambo! WTF
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I think its a cool car, and a good buy if you can take care of it. Just remember that a 2005 for that price... if anything happens you are still paying maintenance on a $300,000 car... not a $90k car.

And remember, performance cars like these aren't meant to last long. People who buy them new usually drive the sh*t out of them, and then sell 3 years later to buy another new one
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #31
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post

A E46 M3 or Supra ??? comparing to a hand made exotic costing A LOT more is going to be MUCH different 8 years old. and more harder and more expensive to fix.

Its like people are to stupid to function these days. comparing a fucking M3 to a lambo! WTF
Dude, it's the internets, and this is a car forum, but your grammar is just killing your argument, if you even have one.

Further, do you really think a Gallardo is hand made?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #32
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

sounds like a lot of debate over this. I do agree to some extent 8 years old exotic car does seem old. But 3 years or less, it is still quite expense. 4-5 gets a bit cheaper but still out of range for most people.

I guess renting one would make more sense but that's about $12-15/mile depending on amount of mileage you buy and the initial rental cost.

Last time I calculated, my bimmer costs me $0.68 cent a mile to own (insurance, gas, car payment, registration) 20k mile driven.

Life is too short. I've got to atleast drive one no matter what. Rent or buy. Would be even great if they had lease offers. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #33
///ADMAN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Oh, Contraire: Most of the Gallardos/Superleggeras I've looked at and driven in Scottsdale are just the opposite. They are practically brand new. Like I said on my Laborghini Aventador LP700-4 video, most people buy them for Cars & Coffee. The good ones usually have less than 5000 miles on them and typically haven't even had their FSA yet.

If you have the money to buy one, then you usually have the $3 per mile to drive one. So, no big deal. And once you have one, it's easy to keep trading up for a new model till you can finally get one brand new. Leasing is always the best option on a car like that anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #34
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero
How's this car look?

Price doesn't seem bad, $99k for 2005 Gallardo. Could probably knock it down to $90k. Even then, this car will be a bigger pussy magnet than a brand new F42 M3 in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm a backyard mechanic. I wonder how easy it would be to work on this kind of car at home with jack stands .

And don't tell me I need to invest in high quality oil. I'm sure if I buy 10 quarts of Mobil 1 at Walmart and change it out every 3K miles, it should be sufficient.

Ever since I was 8 years old, I've TRULY loved Lamborghini's. Not so much Ferrari's. Even if Ferrari were faster or better. I just love the lines on the Lambo. Plus, you don't buy this car to race like a maniac. It's just a straight up attention getter.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...782814866.html

Sorry, my friend but that ad has to be fake. The man is my neighbor. I live in Northern Phoenix. It's definitely not in Los Angeles. If you want, I can take a picture of his house from that exact angle hahaha I'm pretty sure he owns an orange Murcielago as well.

*EDIT*
I read the original AD and it is listed as Glendale, Arizona. It's correct. If you want me to take a look at the car for you, I'd be happy to!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #35
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

In that situation I would go with a used Porsche, spent a little less, enjoy it a little more often.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #36
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith96
In that situation I would go with a used Porsche, spent a little less, enjoy it a little more often.
No need to even go used, he could buy a new base 911 for 100K. You could buy a new GT-R. You could buy a used Maserati. (Please don't. :P) I think modern Aston Martins trickle down into this range as well. You could also buy a new M5. Sorry, I got real off-topic here! I'd say pass on the Lambo though. It'll end up being a maintenance nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #37
BlackLemon
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13-750i, 15-Hurc., 14 X5 50i

I own a Lamborghini......Ive had it since 2010, its been a great car, I have an oil change done every 3000 miles (maybe overkill) I have my tech look it over every spring. Id say the 2000.00 per year in general maintance is pretty accurate.

Iam probably due for a clutch next summer, so 5-6k

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #38
///ADMAN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Finally, an actual Lambo owner chiming in. How many miles you have on it?
My cousin is an Audi Mechanic. He said routine supercar maintenance is the key.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #39
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Yea... Id take that lambo over a 2013 M5 cls63 etc. I saw a Gallardo that was modded with exhaust in my area in NYC. It broke every neck down the avenue. And had people smiling and girls ready to hop in naked... That 90K bring along a lot of image with it. And that might be well worth it.
      05-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #40
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

$90k for an 05 gallardo? Damn that's a nice price. Can barely get a new Z4 28i for that price here. Is that price consistent with all 05's in the states?
      05-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #41
BlackLemon
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13-750i, 15-Hurc., 14 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ADMAN View Post
Finally, an actual Lambo owner chiming in. How many miles you have on it?
My cousin is an Audi Mechanic. He said routine supercar maintenance is the key.

Its an 08 Superleggera, I have 9500 miles on it now, After this summer ill do a complete fluid change might run me about 2700.00

I put on anout 3000 miles a year on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #42
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
Yea... Id take that lambo over a 2013 M5 cls63 etc. I saw a Gallardo that was modded with exhaust in my area in NYC. It broke every neck down the avenue. And had people smiling and girls ready to hop in naked... That 90K bring along a lot of image with it. And that might be well worth it.
yea that's my point. It's a head turner, neck breaker, and pussy magnet. Definitely more so than brand new CLS's, Porsche 911s, M6's, and what not.

Even being 7-8 years old, the design and style just doesn't fatigue.

I don't know. Maybe buy it for a year. Then dump the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #43
Marsden
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: E90

I think Gallardos are stunning and I couldn't care less what it makes other people think.

The only problem is that I can't fit in the door, and I have tried
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #44
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
yea that's my point. It's a head turner, neck breaker, and pussy magnet. Definitely more so than brand new CLS's, Porsche 911s, M6's, and what not.

Even being 7-8 years old, the design and style just doesn't fatigue.

I don't know. Maybe buy it for a year. Then dump the car?
I agree.

I don't think the 2014 Gallardo is going to be groundbreaking in terms of differciating style to the current model so it'll keep the 05's looking fresh for a while yet. The 'new' Gallardo for 2014 gets a more 'Aventador' looking front bumper, smaller headlights plus a few other nice features but not enough to see a 2005 drive down the road and think "man, that's an old one"...I doubt most people will tell.

IMO it's all about that V10 and the noise, screw the new interior features and gadgets, the 2005 comes loaded with enough as it is and like you'd care anyway as the interior in general is a really nice place to be. I challenge anyone to sit in or look at a 2005 and think it's anything other than beautiful.

Like all have said, work out your maintenance and you're good to go. I'd suggest you perhaps book a track day taster in a Gallardo if you can as it'll give you at least three laps of a decent track to push it hard and see if you like it, doing what it was built to do.
Appreciate 0