Bimmerpost for Android has just been updated to version 4.3.55 with a host of bug fixes. Try it out!
BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

BPM

07-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Ohio stat study: right-wingers are more likely to not understand political satire

http://hij.sagepub.com/content/14/2/212.abstract

Quote:
This study investigated biased message processing of political satire in The Colbert Report and the influence of political ideology on perceptions of Stephen Colbert. Results indicate that political ideology influences biased processing of ambiguous political messages and source in late-night comedy. Using data from an experiment (N = 332), we found that individual-level political ideology significantly predicted perceptions of Colbert's political ideology. Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism. Finally, a post hoc analysis revealed that perceptions of Colbert's political opinions fully mediated the relationship between political ideology and individual-level opinion.
Which backs this freakout up even more:

http://i.imgur.com/VlYaV.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

It's funny and sad at the same time to read the comments on youtube videos of The Onion's parodies. So many people there believe they are serious and what is mentioned actually happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Interestingly, I recently heard through the grapevine if you will about a study in which liberals were more likely to exhibit absent-minded traits, such as misspelling common elementary words and subsequently not editing them from their thread titles on internet forums.
      07-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Ignignokt
No one can defeat the quad laser.
Rep
Drives: 335

And in a final brilliant twist of irony, it has been confirmed that The Ohio State University has finally completed an academic study or project of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Didn't they have a study a couple of years ago having to do with how many felons a college football team can support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignignokt View Post
And in a final brilliant twist of irony, it has been confirmed that The Ohio State University has finally completed an academic study or project of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Ignignokt
No one can defeat the quad laser.
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
Didn't they have a study a couple of years ago having to do with how many felons a college football team can support?
Yes, but it was later exposed as plagiarism, copied word-for-word from a publication written by the Cornhuskers during the Tom Osborn era.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Damn! I knew it! But really, I think the original work was done at VA Tech. Go Hoos!

Thread hijack concluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignignokt View Post
Yes, but it was later exposed as plagiarism, copied word-for-word from a publication written by the Cornhuskers during the Tom Osborn era.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
Interestingly, I recently heard through the grapevine if you will about a study in which liberals were more likely to exhibit absent-minded traits, such as misspelling common elementary words and subsequently not editing them from their thread titles on internet forums.

You assume that I'm a liberal, or even a part of any political party whatsoever. I'm not, because political parties in their current state are the equivalent of rampant fanboyism. It's like one big Mac vs. PC thing, except with politics. They naturally occur, unfortunately; I've chosen to stay out of it.

Find me my spelling error. FYI: "stat" is the common shorthand for "statistics." I used it because it did not fit in the thread title.

Try again.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post

You assume that I'm a liberal, or even a part of any political party whatsoever. I'm not, because political parties in their current state are the equivalent of rampant fanboyism. It's like one big Mac vs. PC thing, except with politics. They naturally occur, unfortunately; I've chosen to stay out of it.

Find me my spelling error. FYI: "stat" is the common shorthand for "statistics." I used it because it did not fit in the thread title.

Try again.
Actually, I would compare the ridiculous behavior of people "discussing" politics to the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 & E71 X6M

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Actually, I would compare the ridiculous behavior of people "discussing" politics to the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. IMHO.
Red Sox Suck!
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

Appreciate 0