BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #23
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Sure they could buy an e9x, but could they pay the operating and maintenance? it's like a second mortgage every other month.
Not mine, but I have owned it only 8 of its 10 years and 65k of its 95k miles. And I have done all work myself, from rod bearings to oil changes. My mortgages are $4,100 a month, $4,300 a month, $17,500 per month, and $2,800 per month. The M3 is cheap.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #24
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I've always felt the lack of torque in the s65 just makes you feel like you're having to kinda thrash it to keep up with modern day variable transmission minivans off the line...
In my opinion the e92 M3 was never designed to be a 0 - 60 or 1/4 Mile car ... That's what Mustangs and Camaros were for in the day.

Also why would you even waste your time trying to race against the minivan at a stoplight ???
I know it's not a drag car that's my point.

And I'm not trying to race minivans you missed the context. Op is saying he feels like he's always racing traffic and I'm saying it feels like that bc of reasons listed above. My experience with my car is through 1st and 2nd in stop and go traffic it feels like I'm battling people but in reality it's the lack of bottom end power and having to build RPM's after shifting to go anywhere that makes it feel like that:
      02-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #25
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

I use to get picked on regularly in the M3...then I said Eff this and bought a Chiron...now no one bothers me any more...
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #26
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
I've always felt the lack of torque in the s65 just makes you feel like you're having to kinda thrash it to keep up with modern day variable transmission minivans off the line...
It's meant for Europeans roads, drive it on one of them next to a minivan, you'll see why this car is special...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #27
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Depends on where you live. I'm in Florida and every douche wants to race me.

It's the most bizarre shit I've ever seen.

I've also been complimented at red lights and in parking lots, which is nice.

My car is LeMans Blue with full exhaust and 19" forgestars though, so it kind of stands out.

But people in central Florida are poor and a 94 civic is fancy. If you live in Southern California, you're basically driving a garbage pale, nobody gives a crap, at least that's the feeling I got when I said people complement and try to race me on a thread a few months ago. Even if they did they'd never let you know they like your ride.

Personally, I think I should get more race challenges and compliments. People should stand at attention and salute M3 drivers as they pass...

Because we're on the way to our wallet's funeral.

So, I dunno. :shrug:
That's a nice color!

Yes I thought it's bizarre as well! and they can tell an M car from a non M. I previously drove an E90 328 with modest mods I didn't get the same attention as Im getting now.

So far I've received a random compliment while I was filling up at shell and from a fellow M3 owner at a bmw mod shop lol
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      02-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #28
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
I use to get picked on regularly in the M3...then I said Eff this and bought a Chiron...now no one bothers me any more...
Lol I hear ya, I didn't get this kind of attention with my previous e90 328
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:35 PM   #29
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Yeah !! Tonight - long day at work, driving home in F80 at 7pm in the dark, turn onto the ramp with two lane merge into one ahead and accelerate a little, guy behind me coming on fast out of nowhere, as I slow tucking behind the guy in front of me at the merge a yellow Ferrari blows by us both on the shoulder kicking up rocks. I laughed my ass off - Ferrari guy got worked up seeing those sexy M3 hips and lost his mind.
Haha yea usually what happens to me on the freeway I zoom past traffic next thing I know I'd see on my rear view mirror someone starting to chase me. Sometimes I could already tell by type of car or how modded they are that once they see me regardless if I went past them or not they will race me
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:38 PM   #30
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Fitz who tf let you out?
      02-22-2019, 12:08 AM   #31
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
These are 5-10 year old cars that sell for as little as $15-20k. Most of the people who want you to give them a run could buy an E9xM3. Give them a run instead of acting like you are too special for them, and if you lose, man up. I have lost and won.
Nah I don't feel or act like I'm too special at all. Like I said it depends on my mood/state of mind if I will run or not. Sometimes I just want to enjoy the drive with no intention of racing anyone. I'm new to this kind of attention and I want to see if anyone else here has the same experience
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:17 AM   #32
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by storM3trooper View Post
Hi fellas,

So I've had my 2011 e90 M3 roughly 5 mos now. It's not my daily so I guess I can say I'm fairly a newbie. Though I've only been driving it on weekends I noticed that other performance cars, modded cars, and even loud 335s wants to race me or keep up with me. Not sure if my driving speed is prompting them to do so or just the mere sight of an M3 causes this reaction? I do oblige to the "challenge" when I'm in the mood (or just really in a rush) but rather not when I'm distracted. I definitely do not engage when my fam is with me.

Is this part of the ///M life? I always thought other beemers are suppose to be allies and you don't race challenge them. Are there any unwritten rules in these situations??

I from SoCal by the way
Where abouts in SoCal?

Another socalian here
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 12:29 AM   #33
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Read this comment so many times but never understood it. Never ever had an issue with torque or speed pick up at red lights/down town, must be our local minivans being slow. Coming up in proper speed on the high way different story, could use more grunt.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 02:32 AM   #34
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

My previous three BMWs were all 335 variants, so I've been used to just flooring it and eventually winning. I know the M3 isn't slow, but "it ain't no 335" from a dig! My last encounter with the same generation M5 V10 left me humiliated.

Way back in 2009 I did a roll on in my 335i against a new-then M3 coupe and was shocked by how bad I pulled that $75K DCT M3. Now I know and appreciate how different the power deliveries are.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #35
LostPanda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 M3 , 02' E46 M3

Happens all the time, it part of being a beemer douche / M snob. Just have fun. I've even had highschool kids in minivans try and get at me, just be smart about it.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #36
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
These are 5-10 year old cars that sell for as little as $15-20k. Most of the people who want you to give them a run could buy an E9xM3. Give them a run instead of acting like you are too special for them, and if you lose, man up. I have lost and won.
Yeah, I have to chuckle at the people that always act like an E9x M3 is some kind of exotic that's out of the reach of Joe Sixpack, and I guess I've never noticed the maintenance being more involved or costing much more than anything else I've owned. It's definitely the cheapest BMW I've ever had to keep running, and most people agree that they're pretty bulletproof.

That said, nobody ever wants to race me, or even seems to notice my car. The M3 mostly looks like a dime-a-dozen 3-series to the vast majority of people. I'm OK with that.
      02-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #37
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Im 43 and consider myself too old to engage. Also, those scenarios tend to not unfold too well in Texas, especially on desolate roads. Country boys dont take losing well.
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #38
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I have to chuckle at the people that always act like an E9x M3 is some kind of exotic that's out of the reach of Joe Sixpack, and I guess I've never noticed the maintenance being more involved or costing much more than anything else I've owned. It's definitely the cheapest BMW I've ever had to keep running, and most people agree that they're pretty bulletproof.

That said, nobody ever wants to race me, or even seems to notice my car. The M3 mostly looks like a dime-a-dozen 3-series to the vast majority of people. I'm OK with that.
Interesting take. I've spent about $5,000 in the first six months of ownership, mostly because of the bullshit part prices.

The last five cars I've owned cost... well... nothing to maintain, they were leases.

Most people are buying cars with warranties or leasing cars where maintenance is covered.

Do you people know the average American? I wish I was so insulated that I was unaware of the average person making 55k a year trying to feed his family while barely keeping his lights on.

Seriously- swing by Wal-Mart on your way home and get a dose of how Joe Sixpack is livin'

Edit: yes- these cars are affordable to buy. I do not believe they are affordable to maintain, maybe they are compared to a Porsche or an Italian. It's a shitload more expensive than the 96 Ford Windstar minivan Joe Sixpack is picking his kids up from detention in.

I've questioned my purchase on a number of occasions and I live quite comfortably. I'm a cheap bastard though.
NoHedge67.50
      02-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #39
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
...and I guess I've never noticed the maintenance being more involved or costing much more than anything else I've owned. It's definitely the cheapest BMW I've ever had to keep running, and most people agree that they're pretty bulletproof.
+1
I also think these cars are reasonable to maintain.

Fluids cost the same as just about any other car. The Liquid Moly 10-60 kit is ~$99 on FCP Euro. You can do it yourself or find ANY mechanic to put it on a lift and drain it.

Interior bits aren't much, same as just about any 3 series/comparable car.

Many cars have been totaled and parted out making second hand stuff readily available.

Sure the bigger mechanical parts cost a little more, but I think the majority of buyers know what to expect. The major mechanical things also don't break left and right. The platform is robust. I've had two E9x cars now and aside from basic, routine maintenance and mods, no serious repairs.

Being that you don't see too many neglected E9x M3s it appears that the owners care for them properly. I've seen examples with 125k + miles on the clock looking better than Mustangs and Camaros with 30k on them.
Appreciate 2
tooloud10741.00
NoHedge67.50
      02-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #40
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Seeing as this thread turned to a cost factor of maintenance, I've spent a total of around $40-45K on mods and maintenance. More then half of that has gone to maintenance or preventative maintenance. Sure our cars are sold now for low 20s high teens but it was once a 70-80k car. Maintenance pricing doesn't reflect that of a 20k car lol. Mods are on another level as expected with the ///M tax. I have seen some mods go down in price from different vendors so I assume in maybe 2-3 years most cosmetic mods will shoot down in price.

Back on topic, yes I am approached to race whenever I'm on the highway lol. Some kid once wanted to race me badly in a straight line and as soon as I told him we can race on a track he ran away. I remember him telling his friend "I can't race him on a track, my car is slow around corners."
      02-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #41
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Fitz who tf let you out?
You're the one racing Mini vans lmao
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #42
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
I've spent about $5,000 in the first six months of ownership, mostly because of the bullshit part prices.
What was the $5k for? Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had zero parts failures in three years of owning this car, so it's all just been gas/tires/fluids. I am on the original brakes and know that that will be higher than my other cars, but I just haven't had any other major (or hell, even minor) expenses. I've actually checked multiple times to make sure there isn't some major service that I've missed, but always come up blank--and doing some reading on the forum, it seems that most people agree that these are actually reasonably reliable cars.

And don't get me wrong, I'm very familiar with BMW reliability--my E70 X5 and F25 X3 required more than $50k in repairs in less than 50k miles between them.

Quote:
Do you people know the average American? I wish I was so insulated that I was unaware of the average person making 55k a year trying to feed his family while barely keeping his lights on.

Seriously- swing by Wal-Mart on your way home and get a dose of how Joe Sixpack is livin'

Edit: yes- these cars are affordable to buy. I do not believe they are affordable to maintain, maybe they are compared to a Porsche or an Italian. It's a shitload more expensive than the 96 Ford Windstar minivan Joe Sixpack is picking his kids up from detention in.
I think we're talking about different kinds of people. I'm not saying that a guy that can't afford to keep his lights on and drives a 25-year-old minivan should buy an M3, I'm saying that for someone in the market for a car in this price range, the M3 isn't as scary to own as many people make it out to be...and $25k isn't a monster purchase in a world where the average new car transaction is over $35k already.

As for the expensive maintenance/repairs, I guess I just haven't seen it. I'm sure it pencils out higher than a Honda Civic, but we're not exactly talking about 'old Lambo' levels here.
      02-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #43
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Sure they could buy an e9x, but could they pay the operating and maintenance? it's like a second mortgage every other month.
Not mine, but I have owned it only 8 of its 10 years and 65k of its 95k miles. And I have done all work myself, from rod bearings to oil changes. My mortgages are $4,100 a month, $4,300 a month, $17,500 per month, and $2,800 per month. The M3 is cheap.
Are we supposed to be impressed that you're $5M+ in debt on properties?
      02-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #44
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
I think we're talking about different kinds of people. I'm not saying that a guy that can't afford to keep his lights on and drives a 25-year-old minivan should buy an M3, I'm saying that for someone in the market for a car in this price range, the M3 isn't as scary to own as many people make it out to be...and $25k isn't a monster purchase in a world where the average new car transaction is over $35k already.
Agreed again.

I know people who drive $50,000 pickups and think nothing of the potential depreciation. And these aren't exactly high earning professionals. Just financial misfits who think the $1200 payment after rolling negative equity are ballers.

A loaded, top of the heap Honda Civic starts at $27,300. It'll be worth $17k if you're lucky in three years. Doubtful that anyones M3 will cost 10k over three years.

You can bet on relatively stable pricing at this point. Barring any catastrophic repairs it will more than likely cost significantly less than you would experience in depreciation with any newer car, even after maintenance.

It's been my experience anyway.
Appreciate 4