BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #23
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

This failure is due to oil starvation due to pick up blockage correct? Shouldn't the car have thrown a low oil pressure warning prior to failure?
      05-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #24
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
wow, crazy! i would also contact insurance, vandalism
I will. But something tells me insurance policy fine print may not cover this type of vandalism. I will try for sure. A new S65 engine would go for a lot of $$$
if u go insurance route, they may try to source a used engine. i have seen insurance cover some really stupid deliberate things as vandalism in the past....
Appreciate 2
m3jala543.50
      05-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #25
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Seems like an insurance issue. Someone obviously vandalized the car somehow. Its clear it didn't come like that from the factory.

Perhaps there is a bright side to all this which is maybe you will score a brand new engine (?). Keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #26
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
yes, sounds like vandalle-ism going on.
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #27
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyE93M3 View Post
The image posted from the net is the same as the wrapper pulled from your engine. I went with German because I don't speak French, English is debatable also

Why does your location say Toronto? Your brother is in the middle East with the car? Recap is, you own a car, it was mint, your brother drove it, it stalled, you paid only $2K to pull a whole engine from the bay and have it torn down, only to find a European printed wrapper and a key in the engine?
The OP could be doing what Persian Stig is doing:

Which is transporting their car from the Mid-East over to Canada (on air transport) and driving it on Canada while on holiday.......and then shipping it back after they are finished. Crazy, but apparently there is enough disposable income out there in the world for this activity.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #28
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

That is for sure vandalism. No way would a key and wrapper last so long in that engine if it was from Germany... Most likely someone shoved it into your oil cap when the door/hood was unlocked. Would call insurance and have it investigated. Shitty shituation, hope it gets solved. Keep us updated!
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #29
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
This failure is due to oil starvation due to pick up blockage correct? Shouldn't the car have thrown a low oil pressure warning prior to failure?
It didn't
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:58 PM   #30
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckiSevens View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I will. But something tells me insurance policy fine print may not cover this type of vandalism. I will try for sure. A new S65 engine would go for a lot of $$$
Do you think it's vandalism, vandalle? Or could it have just been fished in there by your friend that was driving?
It was my brother driving it for me to keep it well maintained as I couldn't ship it to Canada due to European specs. I didn't create this post to get asked such questions. They're irrelevant. And to insinuate my brother vandalized the car as opposed to someone at the dealership or perhaps someone on my not so nice list is preposterous
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11503.00
      05-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #31
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Was the engine pulled at a dealership?
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #32
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you think it's vandalism, vandalle? Or could it have just been fished in there by your friend that was driving?
It was my brother driving it for me to keep it well maintained as I couldn't ship it to Canada due to European specs. I didn't create this post to get asked such questions. They're irrelevant. And to insinuate my brother vandalized the car as opposed to someone at the dealership or perhaps someone on my not so nice list is preposterous
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all you'd need is a bumper with reflectors.
      05-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #33
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Strange, you are from Toronto, yet the wrapper is in German if you look close, like the picture posted by kimiraikkonen.

I live in Oakville, no chance you can buy Fisherman Friend in German @ any convenience store. The door key thing is just so far out there to consider how it got in there, but the wrapper...
The car is in the Middle East. And the wrapper has English and French. The image the other guy posted is off the internet. Hence why it's German
The image posted from the net is the same as the wrapper pulled from your engine. I went with German because I don't speak French, English is debatable also

Why does your location say Toronto? Your brother is in the middle East with the car? Recap is, you own a car, it was mint, your brother drove it, it stalled, you paid only $2K to pull a whole engine from the bay and have it torn down, only to find a European printed wrapper and a key in the engine?
Yeah I moved to back to Canada a few years ago but couldn't bring this car with me as I bought it from a BMW dealership in the Mid East and it wasn't conforming to North American specs; so Transport Canada wouldn't allow me to import it. As a result my brother offered to maintain it by driving it every couple of weeks. Hope that helps. My post was to solicit advice on possible root causes and how the engine works, not to get into details around my personal situation. This car was great but now I'm left with a lemon sadly
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #34
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Gotcha - is the key chewed up, it doesn't look damaged from the photo, I wonder if it still opens the lock it's from 🤔
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #35
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
if u go insurance route, they may try to source a used engine. i have seen insurance cover some really stupid deliberate things as vandalism in the past....
Good point. But I suspect they'll simply write it off, give me lower than market value, and then sell it to some scavenger who'll cannibalize the parts and sell them for a cumulative sum that is four times the car's market value. Basically I'll get pillaged
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-02-2019, 11:07 PM   #36
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jala View Post
Seems like an insurance issue. Someone obviously vandalized the car somehow. Its clear it didn't come like that from the factory.

Perhaps there is a bright side to all this which is maybe you will score a brand new engine (?). Keep us posted.
Thanks man. My engine had barely been used. Low kms so it's too bad. A new engine on a car that had high mileage makes sense maybe. But this is just a disaster
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:18 PM   #37
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all you'd need is a bumper with reflectors.
It's more than that. Reflectors. And bumper specs to withstand certain speed hits. Plus some emissions stuff. But I offered to do all of that and they still denied. The cars allowed into Canada must be manufactured with destinations being either the USA or Canada from BMW facilities. Else they won't accept them even if modified to specs. VIN has to check out saying it was made for these markets. Sadly. I think it's just protectionism
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1457.50
xander_g994.00
      05-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #38
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Was the engine pulled at a dealership?
Yeah the dealership pulled it. Car was always serviced there. Never outside the dealership
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #39
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
It's more than that. Reflectors. And bumper specs to withstand certain speed hits. Plus some emissions stuff. But I offered to do all of that and they still denied. The cars allowed into Canada must be manufactured with destinations being either the USA or Canada from BMW facilities. Else they won't accept them even if modified to specs. VIN has to check out saying it was made for these markets. Sadly. I think it's just protectionism
Thats really dumb. Oh well, hope you can get this resolved.
      05-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #40
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Quote:
Thats really dumb. Oh well, hope you can get this resolved.
Thank you. I thought the key being intact was mysterious by the way. It seems to be a pro job because putting the key in a nylon wrapper was intentional. Someone probably figured it would prevent the key from shattering and maybe do the job intended : ie starve the engine from oil. But it baffles me that there's no mesh that would trap oil going into the oil filler to begin with. I thought someone here on this forum might know how this works.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #41
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks man. My engine had barely been used. Low kms so it's too bad. A new engine on a car that had high mileage makes sense maybe. But this is just a disaster
No doubt major pain in the ass for sure. Just trying to get some positive ideas rolling. If you are already going through it though I'd think brand new should be the goal. A) cars that sit unused can get their own set of problems. B) remember you'll have a hit on the resale value. So to offset that either give you money or barter to brand new. Some here have had success in getting insurance companies to pay them a premium due to the loss of resale, though I've seen that happen with regular accidents not vandalism but it should be one and the same. Either that or use the extra money for something fun like a supercharger.

Get moving on it, you'll get your baby back before you know it. Screw the morons messing with other people's shit rather than rolling up their own sleeves so they can afford it.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 11:37 PM   #42
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No doubt major pain in the ass for sure. Just trying to get some positive ideas rolling. If you are already going through it though I'd think brand new should be the goal. A) cars that sit unused can get their own set of problems. B) remember you'll have a hit on the resale value. So to offset that either give you money or barter to brand new. Some here have had success in getting insurance companies to pay them a premium due to the loss of resale, though I've seen that happen with regular accidents not vandalism but it should be one and the same. Either that or use the extra money for something fun like a supercharger.

Get moving on it, you'll get your baby back before you know it. Screw the morons messing with other people's shit rather than rolling up their own sleeves so they can afford it.
Appreciate the advice. Yeah let's hope the insurance route covers this. Will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:42 PM   #43
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
To answer your question about the oiling system and routing, they are lodged in the oil return pump pickup which pumps oil from the front of the pan to the back where the main pump pickup is. It is designed to always provide oil to the main pickup even under high speed hard braking.
Thank you for the diagram. This is most useful. So basically the key in the pic shows it is in the return pump? Any ideas on how it found its way in there? It would seem as though it should be stuck in the main pump if the key was dropped from the oil filler up top into the main pan, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:46 PM   #44
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
What a terrible situation! Do you happen to do car shows and leave your hood open?
No. The dealership alone had access to my car. It's really tough to find out who did it I assume. I'm just curious as to how it made it's way in just from the oil filler under the hood. That would seem to be the only easy way of someone sabotaging. I would have hoped a mesh would catch what's poured in at least.
Appreciate 0