BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

04-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
F0RG3D
DR1V3R
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

CQuartz vs Gtechniq vs AmmoNYC

Looking to repair many years of poor washing technique on my paint/trim pieces by doing some DIY detailing.

I have watched a few of AmmoNYC's instructional videos (highly recommended to anyone looking to get an idea of how to start detailing your car), and now shopping around for the highest rated products available.

Unfortunately, my car isn't garaged, so the paint/carbon fiber/trim take a serious beating from the sun and elements, and I am looking for products that stand out for their cleaning/protection performance.

After a good amount of research, the three product lines listed above have usually been at the top for the list. I am looking for some input from forum members on which products they have used/recommend - and why.

Cheers
      04-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Cquartz and Modesta coatings are the big names. They've been around a long time, they have a big dealer network, and they have a wide lineup of products for varying use cases and budgets.

Lately, there have been some new entrants coming in, which is good to see. Competition is almost always going to be beneficial to the consumer.

In my discussions with two different detailers (who offer Cquartz, Modesta, Gtechniq, and a few others), I had directly asked about the differences. Many of them actually use two different brands on the same cars, e.g. Cquartz Professional for the paint and Modesta for the wheels. They told me that the differences are marginal but it all comes down to what your priorities are: durability, ease of application, shine, water beading, gloss, price, and so on. There is no single best product, hence they use a couple of different coatings.
      04-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
msjt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

M105/205, then wet the car, spray The Last Coat, and wash off with a pressure washer. Trust me, there is nothing easier for the results.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
F0RG3D
DR1V3R
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Cquartz and Modesta coatings are the big names. They've been around a long time, they have a big dealer network, and they have a wide lineup of products for varying use cases and budgets.

Lately, there have been some new entrants coming in, which is good to see. Competition is almost always going to be beneficial to the consumer.

In my discussions with two different detailers (who offer Cquartz, Modesta, Gtechniq, and a few others), I had directly asked about the differences. Many of them actually use two different brands on the same cars, e.g. Cquartz Professional for the paint and Modesta for the wheels. They told me that the differences are marginal but it all comes down to what your priorities are: durability, ease of application, shine, water beading, gloss, price, and so on. There is no single best product, hence they use a couple of different coatings.
Good word - I appreciate it

And competition is always a good thing for a healthy market - I'm glad that there are newer companies joining the fray. I'll have to take a closer look at Modesta - I think this is the first time I've seen the name
      04-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Optimum brand coatings are well thought of as well. I have used cQuartz with good results. Didn't like the UK version as it flashed too fast, even on a cool day in Virginia. I've also used Optimum gloss coat Optimum Opti Coat and it was really easy.

Your gloss may vary.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
atranho
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' ZCP AW M3 - GONE

M3 was coated with CeramicPro through a shop ( would not recommend ) They overcharge to installers about 250$ a bottle + 5-600 in labor . Recently picked up a new type r and did a 1 stage polish and coated with gtechniq CSL to exo much more slick and is only 90$ if you catch an autogeek sale .
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #7
F0RG3D
DR1V3R
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atranho View Post
M3 was coated with CeramicPro through a shop ( would not recommend ) They overcharge to installers about 250$ a bottle + 5-600 in labor . Recently picked up a new type r and did a 1 stage polish and coated with gtechniq CSL to exo much more slick and is only 90$ if you catch an autogeek sale .
I hear you. I am definitely looking at doing a ceramic coating after doing as much paint restoration as possible - and looking online, it doesn't look to be too difficult to do. And saves those hundreds spent at a shop.

I appreciate the recommendations
      04-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Glad you found AMMO's channel. He's great for detailing knowledge. I would also highly recommend Pan The Organizer on YouTube as well as Obsessed Garage. Both do some very in depth step by step videos on detailing. Pan likes ceramic a lot and Obsessed just did a full restore on an e92 - it's like hours worth of content, but helpful.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you're relatively new to paint correction. Add to that that your car isn't garage kept, and I would advise against doing a DIY ceramic coating on your first go. You may be fully capable to do it so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The fact is ceramic can be screwed up, and if you screw up while applying it, you're screwed and will likely have to take it somewhere to get it professionally fixed. Google ceramic fails.

Don't get me wrong, I have CQuartz on my car and love it, but am seriously considering returning to a sealant/wax combo so I can be more in charge of the process as a DIY at home. I only have moderate DA skills and zero experience applying ceramic. If anything goes wrong with wax/sealant - no problem, you can easily chemically remove it. Not so with ceramic.

If I were to do ceramic again, I'd take it to pro who can do it and warranty the work.

Just my two cents
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Optimum brand coatings are well thought of as well. I have used cQuartz with good results. Didn't like the UK version as it flashed too fast, even on a cool day in Virginia. I've also used Optimum gloss coat Optimum Opti Coat and it was really easy.

Your gloss may vary.
Shit, almost forgot about Optimum. Smaller player, but their no-rinse car wash stuff is awesome.
      04-28-2019, 10:04 PM   #10
F0RG3D
DR1V3R
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
Glad you found AMMO's channel. He's great for detailing knowledge. I would also highly recommend Pan The Organizer on YouTube as well as Obsessed Garage. Both do some very in depth step by step videos on detailing. Pan likes ceramic a lot and Obsessed just did a full restore on an e92 - it's like hours worth of content, but helpful.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you're relatively new to paint correction. Add to that that your car isn't garage kept, and I would advise against doing a DIY ceramic coating on your first go. You may be fully capable to do it so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The fact is ceramic can be screwed up, and if you screw up while applying it, you're screwed and will likely have to take it somewhere to get it professionally fixed. Google ceramic fails.

Don't get me wrong, I have CQuartz on my car and love it, but am seriously considering returning to a sealant/wax combo so I can be more in charge of the process as a DIY at home. I only have moderate DA skills and zero experience applying ceramic. If anything goes wrong with wax/sealant - no problem, you can easily chemically remove it. Not so with ceramic.

If I were to do ceramic again, I'd take it to pro who can do it and warranty the work.

Just my two cents
Yeah man - I appreciate the info and warning. I have seen some of the botched ceramic DIY jobs, and looks like a nightmare to correct.
Before going down that road, I would ensure that I am 100% on the the process...

But you are right on the money about being new to detailing/paint correction - I have so little time to focus on things like that normally, but wanted to give my car some love - without having to pay a shop an exorbitant fee
      05-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0RG3D View Post
Yeah man - I appreciate the info and warning. I have seen some of the botched ceramic DIY jobs, and looks like a nightmare to correct.
Before going down that road, I would ensure that I am 100% on the the process...

But you are right on the money about being new to detailing/paint correction - I have so little time to focus on things like that normally, but wanted to give my car some love - without having to pay a shop an exorbitant fee
For what it's worth, just saw this new product this morning. A CQuartz Lite. Meant to be easy to install with less risk of screwing it up. Won't last as long as regular ceramic but might outlast a traditional wax or sealant? Might fit the bill if you're interested.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 01:33 AM   #12
F0RG3D
DR1V3R
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0RG3D View Post

For what it's worth, just saw this new product this morning. A CQuartz Lite. Meant to be easy to install with less risk of screwing it up. Won't last as long as regular ceramic but might outlast a traditional wax or sealant? Might fit the bill if you're interested.

Badass - I'll check it out 👍