BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

03-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
KanseiDorifto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB/FR E90 M3

Bluetooth audio only occasionally stops working with OEM combox

I've been coming across a weird issue with my new-to-me 2011 E90 M3. My phone has had no problem connecting up to my car's Combox with Bluetooth in the last couple weeks I've had it. But every other day or so, the music playing on my phone stops playing out of the car. A typical day where the issue might occur goes like this:

- Leave home with it working perfectly, make a stop and turn the car off
- Get back in the car and after my phone is connected again, music won't play through my speakers though it says it's playing on my phone
- Arrive at next stop, turn the car off, and it works when I start the car again

It always works again when I completely unpair and pair my phone back up. Calls also always work and I've noticed that when this happens, the CD/Multimedia screen says "Waiting..."

I've tried a few searches for this but most people seem to have issues with all Bluetooth functionality, not just only music playing and only occasionally. For what it's worth, I've tried using all my different music/podcast apps when it stops working and none of them will work, so it's not an app-specific problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:09 PM   #2
Davey27
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Subscribed. I'd love to get a straight answer to this as well. Happens to me so frequently that I've given up and resorted to using the USB connection for daily use (bright side is that it's a better audio quality than Bluetooth).

Similar story as you: it works the first handful of times after I pair my phone, then stops. I'll need to forget the device then re-pair it again for it to start working, at which point the cycle continues.

I've tried to research this topic many times in the past and there doesn't seem to be great answers. Popular responses I've seen are either people saying i) to download and update to the latest CIC software from the BMW website or ii) it was/is a flaw in the CIC/bluetooth system from the day it came from the factory - deal with it. Answer i) has not fixed the issue no matter how many times I've tried, which has led me to concede answer ii) may be a reality and I've given up hope...at least momentarily.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
KanseiDorifto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey27 View Post
Popular responses I've seen are either people saying i) to download and update to the latest CIC software from the BMW website or ii) it was/is a flaw in the CIC/bluetooth system from the day it came from the factory - deal with it. Answer i) has not fixed the issue no matter how many times I've tried, which has led me to concede answer ii) may be a reality and I've given up hope...at least momentarily.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info! I ended up updating the Combox with UPD01008 late last week and spent the weekend driving and testing the post-update connectivity.

Hopefully it's not a fluke from just a 2-day test, but the update seems to have actually fixed this. I haven't gotten any of the issues with connectivity since and it actually seems to be pairing and recognizing my phone a tad faster. (Knock on wood)

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked for you. Was your update the latest UPD01008 BIN file from BMW's software update site?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanseiDorifto View Post
Thanks for the info! I ended up updating the Combox with UPD01008 late last week and spent the weekend driving and testing the post-update connectivity.

Hopefully it's not a fluke from just a 2-day test, but the update seems to have actually fixed this. I haven't gotten any of the issues with connectivity since and it actually seems to be pairing and recognizing my phone a tad faster. (Knock on wood)

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked for you. Was your update the latest UPD01008 BIN file from BMW's software update site?
can you confirm that this has fixed the issue?
      05-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
KanseiDorifto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
Spoke too soon unfortunately. The issue was fixed for a couple weeks but it's back in full force again now. Davey27 mentioned that the update didn't work for him which is the case for me again now.

I'm starting to think that it's an inherent problem with the older Combox and modern Bluetooth, especially BL 5.0 and higher that most phones after 2016 typically have. I might just go the USB route or even a Bluetooth adapter to plug into my center console instead at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
Davey27
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanseiDorifto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
Spoke too soon unfortunately. The issue was fixed for a couple weeks but it's back in full force again now. Davey27 mentioned that the update didn't work for him which is the case for me again now.

I'm starting to think that it's an inherent problem with the older Combox and modern Bluetooth, especially BL 5.0 and higher that most phones after 2016 typically have. I might just go the USB route or even a Bluetooth adapter to plug into my center console instead at this point.
Yep...I've resorted to the USB cable. Sorry to hear it didn't fix it! Good news is it's a better audio quality than Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:02 AM   #7
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

KanseiDorifto Davey27

Try changing the "Bluetooth AVRCP version" under developer options in Android. I went down to AVRCP 1.4 and this fixed my bluetooth issues with the CIC.
Appreciate 1
Davey2767.50
      05-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
Davey27
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
KanseiDorifto Davey27

Try changing the "Bluetooth AVRCP version" under developer options in Android. I went down to AVRCP 1.4 and this fixed my bluetooth issues with the CIC.
Long shot...any idea how to do that with an iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Pretty sure this doesn't exist. Walled Garden life.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
Davey2767.50
      05-11-2021, 06:23 AM   #10
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Yeh doesn't work in iPhone. Probably not your issue there, it's only Android that keep messing with stuff like that every update.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #11
KanseiDorifto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
KanseiDorifto Davey27

Thanks for the tip! Weirdly it doesn't seem to work for me. Luckily I do have Android but mine was already set to AVRCP 1.4 as default. I tried going down to AVRCP 1.3 this weekend and it seems to work more often, but there's still at least once a trip where it doesn't
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:54 AM   #12
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Delete the phone sync from the car and re sync the phone. I have an iPhone 11 and there are no problems. The only reason I stated the last part is to express new hardware (phone wise) is not the issue. Persistent issue would be on the side of the cars hardware.