BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
CalOski
Rep
Drives: '09 AW M3; RIP '03 MB G35

New record for damage on a M (ED too)?

So as I posted yesterday, I had a great time at the Welt and delivery was a blast. What I did not count on was that not all German drivers are good drivers, especially the ones driving freight trucks into the factory accross the street

Basically, after I finished my day, I pull my car out of the lot and drive down the street about 5 blocks. At the light, I pull up next to a truck that had just finished dropping its load off at the factory. I was turning right, in the right lane and he was turning left, in the left lane. However, he either didnt see me or wasnt paying attention, because he starts to turn into my lane (apparently he needed the room to make the left) and within a second I hear a huge "crunch".

At this time, I had about 0.5 miles on the car and the odometer had just flipped to ONE mile! Suffice to say, I was furious, dissapointed and just plain mad, and of course, he doesnt speak english and my german consists of "beer, please and thank you". No more Stelvio pass for me this round.

The police end up coming and taking statements, luckily i had plenty of witnesses, considering it happened right in front of Gate 3 at the BMW factory! The police wrote the truck driver up, we exchanged info (took about 2 hours due to the communication issues) and the car got towed the nearest dealership. Suffice to say, the car isnt safely drivable as the rear left fender and bumper were pretty damaged and there wasnt much clearance between the metal and my tire (about 1/4 of an inch).

This morning, I got a call from the ED office in Germany to work out the logistics of the repair ect. I am a little concerned that I wont be able to inspect the car prior to shipment back to the US, but have been assured that everything will be double and tripple checked to "BMWs exacting specifications".

Of course, for this cluster F, i have pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

So sorry to hear that, of all days for that to happen, right after picking her up. Crazy.

Hope you're reunited soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
M GmbH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 318 Ti Lemons Car

I would check your fenders for marks left buy those straps the tow truck is using.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Mate, so sorry to hear that! Would be quite heart breaking! I'm sure that all is well... if there is any place for your car to be damaged.... it is Munich.. as they willl absolutely make sure the car is back to new as soon as possible!
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Yervais
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

if BMW really cared about their customers they would give you a new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
CalOski
Rep
Drives: '09 AW M3; RIP '03 MB G35

Thats funny, because when i mentioned that it would be best if I just got a new one, mostly in jest, they were kind enough to remind me that I already owned the car. Sometimes Germans dont have a great sense of humor.

If anything happens with the straps, I hope it will get caught at the VPC, otherwise, I wont be able to inspect the car in Europe as I am flying home and will have to raise a stink with my dealrship i guess.

Deffinitely not an ideal situation or a good way to start out with this car.....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Sorry to hear that. Are you coming home early, or are they providing (or are you paying for) a rental?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #8
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Sorry to hear about your accident.
Keep on them to make sure it is perfect and don't settle for anything less. Have them take pictures of it in Germany and send them to you before it gets shipped back to you just to be sure.

Best of Luck

GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:45 AM   #9
Silverstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE

sorry to hear about this man, I had my transmission changed after my first service, and then on the 5th day after my new transmission was installed, a stupid guy driving with a baby on his lap went into a roundabout and scraped the front drivers side near the headlight, i had to get a new paint job...i hope this story makes you feel better....

but best of luck and hopefully you will get to enjoy your M when all this is done.
      09-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Sorry to hear it. Are they not going to give you a surrogate car to continue your trip with? You didn't explicitly state it, but wasn't the truck that hit you a supplier affiliated with BMW? It seems like BMW AG should be willing to work with you. Having to cancel the entire planned driving trip once you are already in Europe is just, well, pretty much getting the shaft. I can't see why BMW would not offer you a company car so that you can enjoy your journey as planned (or almost, since you won't be driving an M3).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #11
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

So sorry to read this mate!!!!!!!

You must (righfully so) be devastated... but let's hope that BMW will work with you on this one! Looks like this could be fixed quite quickly, no??

Welcome to the club anyway and keep us posted on your progress.

Now go to the Oktoberfest and drink up!
      09-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

What a pitty and what a day / place for something like this to happen!!! Anyway, it is what it is now. Fact is that you own a fantastik car which will soon be ready for you to enjoy back home!! Just try to forget this and think of the amasing time you will have owning and driving your M3!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sorry to hear it. Are they not going to give you a surrogate car to continue your trip with? You didn't explicitly state it, but wasn't the truck that hit you a supplier affiliated with BMW? It seems like BMW AG should be willing to work with you. Having to cancel the entire planned driving trip once you are already in Europe is just, well, pretty much getting the shaft. I can't see why BMW would not offer you a company car so that you can enjoy your journey as planned (or almost, since you won't be driving an M3).
This sounds pretty reasonable to me... Why don't you give it a shot?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalOski View Post
Thats funny, because when i mentioned that it would be best if I just got a new one, mostly in jest, they were kind enough to remind me that I already owned the car. Sometimes Germans dont have a great sense of humor.

If anything happens with the straps, I hope it will get caught at the VPC, otherwise, I wont be able to inspect the car in Europe as I am flying home and will have to raise a stink with my dealrship i guess.

Deffinitely not an ideal situation or a good way to start out with this car.....
LOL typical german response. I've lived in that country for a couple decades and when they're in work or serious mode, i've never met a more robotic, dull society.

Sorry to see this happen to you, but if the vehicle that hit your new M3 belonged to BMW, I would have demanded a new car. If not, then I can understand why they wouldnt give you a new one. Not their fault, just wrong place at the wrong time.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
Shake-N-Bake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR e92 M3

I am really sorry to hear it, that is not the way anyone would want to start off their trip. I am sure BMW will fix it like new and once you get into it again you will soon forget. Good luck though I hope it all works out for you.

I know this is a random question but why are you rear lights clear?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
dolby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
I know this is a random question but why are you rear lights clear?
It looks like the red plastic cover was knocked off.

BTW, I have to say this is the worst ED pictures I have ever seen.

dolby
- 2009 E90 M3 - Jet Blk on Blk mDCT
- 1987 E30 325is - track car conversion in progress
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalOski View Post
....my german consists of "beer, please and thank you"..........
I think those phrases would extremely useful because I sure as hell could use a beer after that....! Sorry about your experience.
      09-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
PorscheRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

Man, sorry about the car. You would think BMW would step up with a loaner.

Do they drill the front bumper to put holes for the Euro front plate?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #18
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
wow that sucks dude
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I'm surprised they basically said "tough luck, go home".
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Germans, they don't care about our entitlement mentality. ^^^ To the OP, I know it sucks. When I picked up my Audi last time, I backed into a HUGE flower pot in Davos. It sucked. This isn't even your fault, but you might as well go to the Ring and rent an M3 and rip their car around the track, then go to Octoberfest and enjoy all that Munich has to offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
LOL typical german response. I've lived in that country for a couple decades and when they're in work or serious mode, i've never met a more robotic, dull society.
I had some werid experiences in Frankfurt as well. While coming out of the departure lounge, I politely asked an airport staff to "please direct me to where the washroom was" and he blurted out something in German as if he was pissed off and cursing at me. I could not understand a thing so I decided to just walk and find it myself.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Damn, I feel bad for you. That basically ruins what should be a fun ED experience.

Hopefully everything is resolved to your liking...and thankfully the car only received cosmetic damage...so after repair it will be as good or better than new!
Appreciate 0