BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

06-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #155
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Seems like timstar will be the first to try this!

Please keep us in the loop
Will do!
The second this thing arrives I'll be installing it... I'm keen as to get ACP.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #156
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Quote:
roflmaooo

$419 vs $599

They've been doing this for a long time with other cars too and it seems like no one ever called it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #157
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Looks like there's another wireless CIC carplay option available right now for $319 shipped:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2019...009517630.html

They claim this works with CIC.. it must be fairly new as the purchase history and the two reviews are all from within the last few weeks.. there are two reviews on the CIC specific unit via the link above as well.

Interesting...

I also just contacted Unichip who said theirs will be released in the next few weeks as well.. Seems like there will soon be a few options to choose from for CIC wireless carplay.

Last edited by brettcp; 06-05-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      06-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #158
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneedlessnoise View Post
They've been doing this for a long time with other cars too and it seems like no one ever called it out.
It appears even the JoyeAuto setup is re-branded. Some chinese backend company called Limcet.

timstar when you connect to your Applecarplay, please note what the name of the device is in your iOS screen as it seems that the current wired solution says Limcet.

Pic courtesy of dkmcclelland
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #159
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
I would love Carplay in my MY12, though I assume that if I want to listen to SiriusXM or another audio source other than AUX, I can't use Carplay at the same time, right? Or is it just that the audio wouldn't work? What happens with a phone call if I'm listening to SiriusXM? Does it switch over to ACP, or handle it through the OEM telephone capability? The interface and source switching is what I worry about...seems like it might be clunky.

The newer NBT models with ACP (like my wife's new '19 X3) handle it fairly elegantly and use ACP for phone calls, but they also are using the factory mic, etc.
      06-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #160
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
I would love Carplay in my MY12, though I assume that if I want to listen to SiriusXM or another audio source other than AUX, I can't use Carplay at the same time, right? Or is it just that the audio wouldn't work? What happens with a phone call if I'm listening to SiriusXM? Does it switch over to ACP, or handle it through the OEM telephone capability? The interface and source switching is what I worry about...seems like it might be clunky.

The newer NBT models with ACP (like my wife's new '19 X3) handle it fairly elegantly and use ACP for phone calls, but they also are using the factory mic, etc.
Anything to do with Carplay and it's audio can only be output through AUX. So if you're listening to XM radio and a call comes in, you won't have audio on the call unless you switch over to AUX source.

Another situation is if you have turn by turn voice instructions on your Apple Carplay maps. You can't have those instructions played through audio at the same time as playing your XM radio.

The system in your X3 works the way you describe because it was built to support this from the ground up. This box is simply just a bypass, we're splitting the display connection and using the AUX for sound.
      06-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #161
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Anything to do with Carplay and it's audio can only be output through AUX. So if you're listening to XM radio and a call comes in, you won't have audio on the call unless you switch over to AUX source.

Another situation is if you have turn by turn voice instructions on your Apple Carplay maps. You can't have those instructions played through audio at the same time as playing your XM radio.

The system in your X3 works the way you describe because it was built to support this from the ground up. This box is simply just a bypass, we're splitting the display connection and using the AUX for sound.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Obviously I know the newer cars were built to support ACP, but I thought that the box might be a bit more sophisticated. So I guess I either have to listen to Satellite on my iPhone, give up SiriusXM altogether, or skip the Carplay box.
      06-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #162
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Obviously I know the newer cars were built to support ACP, but I thought that the box might be a bit more sophisticated. So I guess I either have to listen to Satellite on my iPhone, give up SiriusXM altogether, or skip the Carplay box.
I'm in the same boat.. but lately I find myself annoyed with how repetitive SiriusXM is (and they just sent me a renewal notice for something like $140/year) so now using Spotify 90% of the time anyways and having Carplay would definitely provide a more elegant interface for Spotify.. My main concern is that the audio quality isn't degraded. I know when using wireless/bluetooth its not going to be perfect, but I want it to be as good as possible.

I'm curious if there is any difference in functionality/audio quality between the few CIC Carplay options that are now on the horizon? So far there is JoyeAuto, Unichip, and the AliExpress one I posted above (I chatted with Unichip who claimed that Aliexpress was not theirs as they haven't released theirs yet).
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      06-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #163
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
The quality of the SiriusXM app on the iPhone is actually better in quality too. The only downfall is it takes data from your phone. It even breaks the issue of tunnels/underpasses skipping cause it doesn't depend on line of sight with the sky above.

I have unlimited data on my iPhone so I would opt for using XM on the iPhone as the app itself also supports Carplay.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #164
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The quality of the SiriusXM app on the iPhone is actually better in quality too. The only downfall is it takes data from your phone. It even breaks the issue of tunnels/underpasses skipping cause it doesn't depend on line of sight with the sky above.

I have unlimited data on my iPhone so I would opt for using XM on the iPhone as the app itself also supports Carplay.
Yeah, I've read that the sound quality is better via the app, and I do have unlimited data, but it's so easy to change stations by hitting my preset buttons or by using Idrive, which I'm not sure is as easy using the app. Maybe I'll try the SXM app in my wife's X3 for a bit and see how it is.

I do agree that SXM gets a little repetitive, at least on hits 1, etc., but I do like the classic rock stations, and also espn, nfl, and news. I also sometimes drop in on Howard for a good interview, lol.

Last edited by PACarGuy; 06-06-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #165
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I've read that the sound quality is better via the app, and I do have unlimited data, but it's so easy to change stations by hitting my preset buttons or by using Idrive, which I'm not sure is as easy using the app. Maybe I'll try the SXM app in my wife's X3 for a bit and see how it is.

I do agree that SXM gets a little repetitive, at least on hits 1, etc., but I do like the classic rock stations, and also espn, nfl, and news. I also sometimes drop in on Howard for a good interview, lol.
The app itself has the ability to have favorites and recent on the screen, so its similar. I personally have Spotify Premium and Apple Music, but sometimes its nice to hear radio people from time to time..
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      06-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #166
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

I am happy to report that I received the new hardware from JoyeAuto (it's actually a Limcet box, as that's what shows up under settings) and it performs flawlessly! An incredible hassle to get the first unit replaced, but all worth it now.

I haven't had the first problem with it and I'm a few days in, whereas before, the old box wouldn't work out the gate as it was filled with bugs.

Curious how well the wireless boxes will perform.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #167
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
subscribed
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #168
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
I am happy to report that I received the new hardware from JoyeAuto (it's actually a Limcet box, as that's what shows up under settings) and it performs flawlessly! An incredible hassle to get the first unit replaced, but all worth it now.

I haven't had the first problem with it and I'm a few days in, whereas before, the old box wouldn't work out the gate as it was filled with bugs.

Your setup is just like mine then? Same harness that I have and everything?

Do you notice that the box is on before you even start the car? I noticed that when I enter my car, I can plug my phone into the box and get power to the phone without even turning the car on.

I wonder if the box just wakes up when you unlock the doors or it's constantly drawing power. Hope it's not the latter.

I know our cars have a slow power draw for the comfort access stuff, The carplay box takes it's power from the idrive controller, really hope it's not taking power while it's not on. The idrive controller shouldn't be on after the car is shut off for a while. Haven't came out to a dead car after having this for 2 months so I think I'm good.
      06-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #169
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post

Do you notice that the box is on before you even start the car? I noticed that when I enter my car, I can plug my phone into the box and get power to the phone without even turning the car on.

I wonder if the box just wakes up when you unlock the doors or it's constantly drawing power. Hope it's not the latter.

I know our cars have a slow power draw for the comfort access stuff, The carplay box takes it's power from the idrive controller, really hope it's not taking power while it's not on. The idrive controller shouldn't be on after the car is shut off for a while. Haven't came out to a dead car after having this for 2 months so I think I'm good.
Yeah, same exact thing you have.

When I plug my phone in with the car off it does the same thing.

I don't think it's on when the car is just sitting, though... not 100% sure...

I'm just happy to have ACP again and that it works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #170
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:

BMW modules usually "wake" up when the car is unlocked. You can test this with a multimeter measuring amperage on the battery.

Open the trunk, lock the latch, lock the car and watch amperage readings, it should drop after 15-16minutes to a lower number.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #171
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Anyone have experience with these using Android Auto? Is that available wirelessly too?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #172
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Anyone have experience with these using Android Auto? Is that available wirelessly too?
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #173
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Yeah unfortunately the compatibility for android auto sucks. Haven't heard anyone getting it to work. Tested my box with my wife's Galaxy S9. It didn't even recognize the phone was plugged in.
      06-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #174
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Looks like there's another wireless CIC carplay option available right now for $319 shipped:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2019...009517630.html

They claim this works with CIC.. it must be fairly new as the purchase history and the two reviews are all from within the last few weeks.. there are two reviews on the CIC specific unit via the link above as well.

Interesting...

I also just contacted Unichip who said theirs will be released in the next few weeks as well.. Seems like there will soon be a few options to choose from for CIC wireless carplay.
Ended up buying this last week and received it yesterday -- installed it to do some initial testing and so far it looks good.

Seller was responsive with troubleshooting some initial issues I had on my end.

Wireless works out of the box without any updates. Audio quality from the AUX is good too, at least from what I can tell when I compare it with my combox bluetooth audio.

Only issue I've had is fitting an aftermarket reverse camera. It only displays 2/3s of the camera where the remaining 1/3 on the right hand side is just blank (might be for a PDC image?). Was told that it could be the camera that I was using, so I bought another one and will test to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #175
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyuyuyu View Post
Ended up buying this last week and received it yesterday -- installed it to do some initial testing and so far it looks good.

Seller was responsive with troubleshooting some initial issues I had on my end.

Wireless works out of the box without any updates. Audio quality from the AUX is good too, at least from what I can tell when I compare it with my combox bluetooth audio.

Only issue I've had is fitting an aftermarket reverse camera. It only displays 2/3s of the camera where the remaining 1/3 on the right hand side is just blank (might be for a PDC image?). Was told that it could be the camera that I was using, so I bought another one and will test to confirm.
Great to hear!

I have a backup camera on my '12 CIC as well - I spliced into the factory harness and use an emulator and it works great (its this setup here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301 ). Does this Apple Carplay setup change how the backup camera works? Does the camera now need to be plugged into the Carplay unit ?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #176
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Great to hear!

I have a backup camera on my '12 CIC as well - I spliced into the factory harness and use an emulator and it works great (its this setup here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301 ). Does this Apple Carplay setup change how the backup camera works? Does the camera now need to be plugged into the Carplay unit ?

Thanks!
I believe you can keep your existing camera setup.

There's a setting in the carplay interface that allows you to toggle between the original car's backup camera (in your case the emulator + camera) or an aftermarket camera that you can wire directly to the carplay unit.
Appreciate 0