BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

04-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
Pappas Fritas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, Melbourne Red, 6sp

Garage List
DIY: E93 Roof Drain Cleaning (Convertible, Origami Top)

Greetings fellow e93 owners!
This is an important PSA for E93 owners. These roof drains are often overlooked until it's too late. Front drains can leak into the cabin, and rear drains can flood your trunk (and damage all of the electronics stored in the lowest areas ). This is a starting point, and I will add photos/videos next time I do it.

Front Convertible Roof Drains:
When the top is down, you will see them at each corner at the “top” of the windshield. This Youtube video shows them early on in the video:
I use a 1/4” trombone cleaner to clean them, while some use a hose or compressed air. Note that it drains from the bottom of the A pillar and will splatter nasty crud when the door is open. I usually put a bucket or piece of plastic to cover the door/door jam.

Rear Convertible Roof Drains:
The drain plug is located behind a small trim panel directly in front of each rear wheel. Remove the plastic trim piece first in order to access the drain plug, which is held on with 2 plastic T30 bolts and 3 tiny push through rivets to get it off. Once that trim is off, use a 14mm socket to free the plug’s pins by loosening a 1/8 turn then pull it down to get it out. Don't force it more than that or you risk breaking the pins. Here is a video of someone else doing it, but please note that he improperly rips the drain plug out and I also would be nervous sticking a garden hose up into the drain like he did.

This is a starting point, and I will try to update with photos/videos next time I do it.
Active Autowerke Pulley, Tune, and drop-in Filter. Full Akrapovic Evo Exhaust (dual resonated with secondary high flow cats).

Last edited by Pappas Fritas; 04-19-2021 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 5
CTMike262.00
bake601.50
ToddinTN504.00
victo6.00
      04-19-2021, 09:28 PM   #2
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Thank you for posting this!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Wow. That was a lot of water! Does this apply only to e93s?
      04-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
Pappas Fritas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, Melbourne Red, 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Thank you for posting this!
Happy to share the info, helps all of us to share and collectively comment in one location! I'll update this with photos next time I clean them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
Wow. That was a lot of water! Does this apply only to e93s?
These drains are specific to e93s. There may be other drains specific to e90/e92, ie sunroof drains. Someone else will need to chime in.

Fyi, There are 2 drains in the engine bay that all e9x M3s have, close to the windshield. They have a small baskets in them to stop leaves from falling in.
Active Autowerke Pulley, Tune, and drop-in Filter. Full Akrapovic Evo Exhaust (dual resonated with secondary high flow cats).
Appreciate 1
jdamore432.50
      07-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
E93M3MW
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappas Fritas View Post

Rear Convertible Roof Drains:
The drain plug is located behind a small trim panel directly in front of each rear wheel. Remove the plastic trim piece first in order to access the drain plug, which is held on with 2 plastic T30 bolts and 3 tiny push through rivets to get it off. Once that trim is off, use a 14mm socket to free the plug’s pins by loosening a 1/8 turn then pull it down to get it out. Don't force it more than that or you risk breaking the pins. Here is a video of someone else doing it, but please note that he improperly rips the drain plug out and I also would be nervous sticking a garden hose up into the drain like he did.
Firstly thanks for the very helpful post and informative video!

Unfortunately I couldn't get to free the plastic plug's pins. A 14mm socket doesn't fit as it was too small, and I couldn't find anything suitable to turn it to loosen it. I had to use the method in the video, yanking it off with pliers

The good news however, was that not a single drop of water came out!!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2022, 06:10 AM   #6
Kixars
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Mine were blocked and submerged the hydraulic roof motor. It corroded it away to the point where fluid poured out. Now looking for a new motor.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #7
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 M3

Just checked mine and no water found. Then again, it rarely sees any rain...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 11:05 AM   #8
b4ldguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 V8, Bentley GT, Lexus RX

This is exactly what i needed and have cleaned and checked all my drains on my UK M3.. Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:34 AM   #9
Mak1etee
Rep
Drives: e93 M3 jerez black

Anyone knows the name or the part number for the plastic drain plugs ?
Can't to find it online
Appreciate 0