BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

04-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #45
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
The entire point of a BBK is the larger rotor. As with anything, thermal management is the most important thing. Adding bigger calipers and and larger swept area will only introduce additional heat, that the stock rotor dimensions cannot handle. You need a larger, thicker rotor that can absorb and dissipate the additional heat fast enough to prevent fade or brake failure.(facts) If you don't do this, it's just for show and a GIANT waste of money (subjective opinion).
      05-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #46
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenau View Post
The entire point of a BBK is the larger rotor. As with anything, thermal management is the most important thing. Adding bigger calipers and and larger swept area will only introduce additional heat, that the stock rotor dimensions cannot handle. You need a larger, thicker rotor that can absorb and dissipate the additional heat fast enough to prevent fade or brake failure.(facts) If you don't do this, it's just for show and a GIANT waste of money (subjective opinion).
I thought several of the BBKs went down to lighter 355mm rotors, no?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #47
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
I know right, why would someone want to find a way to save money on a mod that is 99% of the time just for cosmetics.. that's just crazy!!, we should all save up for BBK at $8000 just to impress our friends, when we never really track the cars and our stock brakes are just fine for our power level...
Because brakes are a safety item.
      05-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #48
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
I thought several of the BBKs went down to lighter 355mm rotors, no?
Yes, many of them use 355mm rotors. I'm not sure they're lighter -- remember, more mass = more thermal capacity.
      05-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #49
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

there are 355mm "bbk" options and they are far less weight than oem brakes. some of the weight is from lighter calipers, some is from lighter rotors, and most is from using aluminum rotor hats.
in relative terms of braking tech- more mass in the rotors doesn't necessarily mean more thermal capacity. these rotors are designed to get rid of heat, NOT to hold onto it. so having a high "capacity" isn't important. getting rid of heat is more important than how much they can hold.
this is why i just shake my head and usually keep my fingers off the keyboard when i see these threads- or other threads about retrofits. people shunning the "bling" kits saying they are just for looks when they themselves are trying to move to something more aesthetically pleasing to the eye while burning money on a nominal upgrade when the rotors are by far the weakest link.
the amount of misunderstanding in this thread is mind boggling when there is so much good brake tech on this forum.
FMLYSDN1179.50
6ixSpd5996.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #50
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Ok bro Have fun on your highway runs. I bet the soccer moms are really impressed when you blow past their minivan.
I am definitely not in it for the dicks.. I could care less about impressing a bunch of dudes..
      05-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #51
deseroner
First Lieutenant
Nicaragua
Rep
Drives: Jerez black e92 m3 coupe 2009

Back on topic guys , see if it works.
09 Jerez black coupe . 275/35/19 mss rear,Alex alpine gts dct software with some coding(euro mdm,DVD in ,mirrors fold on lock ) , rogue engineering pulleys ,TTFS TUNE . Eibach springs . New brake front rotors with new hawk pads no rear pads. Rd front sway bar.ACTIVE AUTOWERKE TEST PIPES .csf dct cooler ,BE BEARINGS/BE ARP BOLTS,vibra road e/mounts
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #52
AdamJ39
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

I was planning to run F8x rotors in place of my brembo rotors when they need replacement. I have a 365/345 brembo kit on the car now and the brackets modeled up already, just need to get a pair of F8x rotors complete the rest of the dimensional changes for the conversion, at that point they would be like an OEM GTS kit (assuming the rotors are the same). I could work up similar brackets for use of the F8x calipers on our platform if someone wants to supply a rotor and caliper for the project. Furthermore if enough people are interested in a group buy I would be happy to machine them for everyone as well. Just did a small run on some 135 - e36/46 caliper retrofit brackets last week they are out for hard anodize but here is a pic of one in raw state, along with the 365/345 E9x brembo brackets re-engineered.

-Adam

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #53
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
there are 355mm "bbk" options and they are far less weight than oem brakes. some of the weight is from lighter calipers, some is from lighter rotors, and most is from using aluminum rotor hats.
in relative terms of braking tech- more mass in the rotors doesn't necessarily mean more thermal capacity. these rotors are designed to get rid of heat, NOT to hold onto it. so having a high "capacity" isn't important. getting rid of heat is more important than how much they can hold.
this is why i just shake my head and usually keep my fingers off the keyboard when i see these threads- or other threads about retrofits. people shunning the "bling" kits saying they are just for looks when they themselves are trying to move to something more aesthetically pleasing to the eye while burning money on a nominal upgrade when the rotors are by far the weakest link.
the amount of misunderstanding in this thread is mind boggling when there is so much good brake tech on this forum.

This.

[tommy Lee jones]Now get rid of those nickel plated cross drilled sissy rotors [/tlj]
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #54
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ39 View Post
I was planning to run F8x rotors in place of my brembo rotors when they need replacement. I have a 365/345 brembo kit on the car now and the brackets modeled up already, just need to get a pair of F8x rotors complete the rest of the dimensional changes for the conversion, at that point they would be like an OEM GTS kit (assuming the rotors are the same). I could work up similar brackets for use of the F8x calipers on our platform if someone wants to supply a rotor and caliper for the project. Furthermore if enough people are interested in a group buy I would be happy to machine them for everyone as well. Just did a small run on some 135 - e36/46 caliper retrofit brackets last week they are out for hard anodize but here is a pic of one in raw state, along with the 365/345 E9x brembo brackets re-engineered.

-Adam
I'm I reading this right? Are you planning to replace your two piece Brembo rotors with OE F8x rotors? That makes zero sense to me. You are downgrading. Your Brembos are a lighter, true two-piece floating rotor. I realize that the OE GTS rotors were lighter than the comparable Brembo version but I doubt that is the case with the F8x rotors.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #55
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

I went BBK on my E92M for obvious reasons - but mostly to get away from stock sliding calipers with tiny front pads and slow pad changes.

The F8X still has a small pads but at least they brought fast pad changes.

I don't see this as worth the effort. Unless OEM F8X parts are that much cheaper (they don't appear to be) than many of the BBK's that are available you're not going to see the benefits commensurate of your efforts. I took the stock Brakes off my F80 and also went to a BBK on it. The calipers aren't particularly light, the pads are small, the rotors are drilled and also not particularly light. Oh and the calipers turned green after a track day.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #56
AdamJ39
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I'm I reading this right? Are you planning to replace your two piece Brembo rotors with OE F8x rotors? That makes zero sense to me. You are downgrading. Your Brembos are a lighter, true two-piece floating rotor. I realize that the OE GTS rotors were lighter than the comparable Brembo version but I doubt that is the case with the F8x rotors.
Yes, you read that right. When they are wore out and need replacement i might pop them on as another option. This car has rarely seen a raindrop let alone the track so i couldn't care less about a negligible decrease in performance. As covered over a hundred times these cars do not need brake upgrades for the street, and to admit mine are on the car for purely aesthetic reasons doesn't bother me either, I got the brakes for free..

-Adam
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1179.50
      05-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #57
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ39 View Post
Yes, you read that right. When they are wore out and need replacement i might pop them on as another option. This car has rarely seen a raindrop let alone the track so i couldn't care less about a negligible decrease in performance. As covered over a hundred times these cars do not need brake upgrades for the street, and to admit mine are on the car for purely aesthetic reasons doesn't bother me either, I got the brakes for free..

-Adam
I still don't see how this makes sense. The cost savings are largely offset by the time, energy and cost to make a custom caliper bracket to accommodate the inferior F80 rotors, plus the cost of the F80 rotors. Just buy some new rotor rings for your Brembo and enjoy. It's your car, your money, your time, do as you desire. It seems that this is a bit of a pet project for you and you enjoy the process. I get that. I hope it works out.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #58
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

What about this kit?

Seems cost effective way to upgrade the OEM 1 pot caliber!?

https://www.akmotorsport.net/shop/al...disc-full-kit/
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #59
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3DK View Post
What about this kit?

Seems cost effective way to upgrade the OEM 1 pot caliber!?

https://www.akmotorsport.net/shop/al...disc-full-kit/
That's already being discussed here....

Brembo Caliper on stock rotor http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632273
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #60
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yes -and I see you commented on the thread. did you take this offer?
Any expirience to share?

// Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post

Brembo Caliper on stock rotor http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632273
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #61
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3DK View Post
yes -and I see you commented on the thread. did you take this offer?
Any expirience to share?

// Chris

Quote:

I am waiting to have them delivered. UPS showed up yesterday while I am away. Follow the other thread as I will be providing a DIY for that kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:19 AM   #62
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

super - will do.

hurry up...

// Chris

Quote:
I am waiting to have them delivered. UPS showed up yesterday while I am away. Follow the other thread as I will be providing a DIY for that kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #63
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

I can now verify the following:

Front requires 380mm M3/M4 rotors and a custom caliper bracket.

Rear caliper bolts up, but will require 370mm M3/M4 rotors.

Keep in mind I'm doing this for fun, I didn't pay a penny for the calipers so why not give this a shot. Maintaining front and rear rotor size from the F80 will keep balance in check. I have a contact who can make me a front caliper bracket. I track my car quite often so I'll be able to give some input on how the system works on the E9x. I'm assuming a small upgrade in stopping power and good balance. But we will see.

I'll more than likely end up with a proper BBK setup, but anything that allows me to swap pads easier is a plus. I expect the paint on the OEM calipers is probably junk and will burn/change color.

Here are some pics of a quick test fit on the rear (with e9x rotors):
Attached Images

Last edited by doogee; 06-06-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 4
      06-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #64
Richbot
Major General
Rep

doogee are those stock rotors or the F8x rotors back there? I
      06-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #65
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
doogee are those stock rotors or the F8x rotors back there? I
Those are the factory e9x rotors. The extra 20mm from the F8x rotors should line up perfectly. Will verify in the future.

I'm not in a rush to get these fitted since I don't plan to keep them on the car after learning a few track days will burn the paint and turn them green

Last edited by doogee; 06-06-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #66
Richbot
Major General
Rep

The green means go fast