BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

Indication of the new M3

Ok guys,

if this report is true, then the new M3 had better be bloody fast. 298kw V8 might just not be enough to beat the new Audi RS4.

And any ECU upgraded Subaru WRX STi will give the new M3 a hard time!

I trust this information to be true, as South Africa imports to the rest of the world, aside from Germany.

Also, I don't quite like the back of this coupe...maybe it will grow on me

Go here for the news.....

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...919147,00.html
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
ogrady
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by anees
Ok guys,

if this report is true, then the new M3 had better be bloody fast. 298kw V8 might just not be enough to beat the new Audi RS4.

And any ECU upgraded Subaru WRX STi will give the new M3 a hard time!

I trust this information to be true, as South Africa imports to the rest of the world, aside from Germany.

Also, I don't quite like the back of this coupe...maybe it will grow on me

Go here for the news.....

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...919147,00.html
400hp V8 from BMW will be a monssster! This car is going to wreck anything in its way.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
schuyler
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmodl
I do think it will uotperform the Audi due to the fact that 4 wheel drive cars tend to be on the heavier side so if you compare power to weight ratio I think the M will have the advantage. Also if you have 2 cars with the same amount of Hp, one turbo and the other N/A I will take the N/A any day.
From what I keep reading and hearing people say is that the M3 will use weightsaving materials like they used for the M6. Gonna be interesting to see what the power-to-weight ratio of the new M3 is compared to the RS4
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
lobstah
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler
From what I keep reading and hearing people say is that the M3 will use weightsaving materials like they used for the M6. Gonna be interesting to see what the power-to-weight ratio of the new M3 is compared to the RS4
Yes it seems the M3 will push the envelope even further then the M6 on use of lightened materials. It will be interesting to see what is done.

Heres a recap of what BMW has done:

E46M3 : CF bumper hangers, lightened alu hood/trunk.
E46M3CSL : CF Roof, interior trim, First production use of SMC for front/rear bumper pieces. BMW was happy with the customer response to this material (paint looks a little weird on it, just a little). Lightened rear bumper space (cardboard?! like material)
M6: More extensive use of SMC material, and use of hollowed and strengthned suspension arms. Larger size of vehicle negated many of the efforts towards lightweight materials, more extreem M6CSL is planned to really take advantage of lighterweight technology

E92M3: We will see what would be next, but probably some lightweight body panels. This is the direction BMW seems to be going, so the next step would be to move from the bumpers to other parts of the body. I also believe alot of the undercarriage of the car will recieve the lightening treatment, so that this car will appear as a large GT car, but will be fairly light around the track. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
YYimports
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TitanSilver E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstah
Yes it seems the M3 will push the envelope even further then the M6 on use of lightened materials. It will be interesting to see what is done.

Heres a recap of what BMW has done:

E46M3 : CF bumper hangers, lightened alu hood/trunk.
E46M3CSL : CF Roof, interior trim, First production use of SMC for front/rear bumper pieces. BMW was happy with the customer response to this material (paint looks a little weird on it, just a little). Lightened rear bumper space (cardboard?! like material)
M6: More extensive use of SMC material, and use of hollowed and strengthned suspension arms. Larger size of vehicle negated many of the efforts towards lightweight materials, more extreem M6CSL is planned to really take advantage of lighterweight technology

E92M3: We will see what would be next, but probably some lightweight body panels. This is the direction BMW seems to be going, so the next step would be to move from the bumpers to other parts of the body. I also believe alot of the undercarriage of the car will recieve the lightening treatment, so that this car will appear as a large GT car, but will be fairly light around the track. We shall see.
The carbon fiber roof on the M6 is pure eye candy I hope that makes it onto the M3 coupe also.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

I recon the V8 M3 needs to go faster than the M6 (0-60) to have any chance to beat the RS4 (4.7er)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
CF roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost8found
The carbon fiber roof on the M6 is pure eye candy I hope that makes it onto the M3 coupe also.
You can bet it will be on the CSL, which will probably come to the US this time, but not the base M3.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem
I recon the V8 M3 needs to go faster than the M6 (0-60) to have any chance to beat the RS4 (4.7er)
Typically, all M3s have been faster in a 0-100km/h sprint than the M5.
The M5 does the 0-100km/h sprint in 4.7s
The M6 is slightly faster at 4.6s

So, I think the M3 should be around 4.5s. However, the M5 & M6 will definitely catch and beat the V8 powered M3 as they progress through the gears.

Furthermore, how much of a car length difference is 0.1s or 0.2s ? Can anyone give an indication of such a measurement in terms of car length ?

I can understand the difference when it comes to Formula 1 racing..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

u obviously didnt see latest fifth gear (4th episode).
RS4 walked over e46 M3, cuz awd gave it much better traction..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmodl
I do think it will uotperform the Audi due to the fact that 4 wheel drive cars tend to be on the heavier side so if you compare power to weight ratio I think the M will have the advantage. Also if you have 2 cars with the same amount of Hp, one turbo and the other N/A I will take the N/A any day.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Comparo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx
u obviously didnt see latest fifth gear (4th episode).
RS4 walked over e46 M3, cuz awd gave it much better traction..
You're comparing the brand new Audi with the 6-year old BMW. I think the valid comparison will be with the E92 M3, which I do think will be quicker than the Audi.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #11
M3Poweraussie
///Mark
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3 Convertible

I have no doubt BMW are totally aware of what is at stake here. The M3 has always been internationally recognised as one of the greatest drivers cars ever, and achieved almost cult status. I am sure that the E90 will offer the same proportioned balance as the E46 - upgraded, and ready to take on whatever Audi or MB offer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #12
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Apparently on the M6...one of the big weight savers are the rims.

super light...where did i read this...i cant remember...but i remember reading that.

also...my dad just had his 645 in for service and was talking to the guy at the shop about the carbon fiber roof used on the M6...the guy said that if you ever get a scratch or anything on that roof...there is nothing they can do about it...the only way to fix it is to get a new one.

ouch.
      05-31-2006, 02:06 AM   #13
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangearox
Apparently on the M6...one of the big weight savers are the rims.

super light...where did i read this...i cant remember...but i remember reading that.

also...my dad just had his 645 in for service and was talking to the guy at the shop about the carbon fiber roof used on the M6...the guy said that if you ever get a scratch or anything on that roof...there is nothing they can do about it...the only way to fix it is to get a new one.

ouch.
Yes but I would take that risk...The Carbon Roof looks Insane. The look is to insane to think about that.
The carbon roof reduces soooo much weight its crazy. It playes a BIG roll on weight and balance. If they actually do put it on the new M3, I can tell you that its gonna be a Bad Motha :rocks:

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 11:37 PM   #14
res_ipsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SparkGraphite

Anyone know how much weight the carbon fiber roof on the M6 actually saves? I can see how it lowers center of gravity but if it only saves a couple of pounds really it wouldn't make too much difference performance wise. But looks wise it looks awesome I'm sure
Appreciate 0