BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #45
XIX
Incognito
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 Harrop S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
If the car is frequently hitting the track and staying at high RPM for extended periods of time, then yes the heat generated by a 650 may become a problem for the cats. I would certainly agree that catless is best on a track car for both reliability and power. On the street where the car is mostly at low-mid RPM with an occasional pull to redline followed by plenty of time to cool down, I would be very surprised to see a cooked cat. Even so, I don't think the engine would be in any real danger based on guidance from ESS.

Exactly. Torque is what you feel under normal driving conditions, we are discussing feeling and the overall driving experience as opposed to raw peak numbers and flat out acceleration. The Harrop kit would give you the same feeling of acceleration and torque from lower RPM, thus making it more usable power on a street car.

The flat tq curve you speak of is what makes the car feel tame while still being incredibly fast. This isn't a bad thing at all, it's just a characteristic of the S65 and the reason why it does so well as a track car compared to something like the F80 with it's steep abrupt torque curve. That torque curve is what makes the F80 feel scarier/more shocking and light up the tires not just in 2nd like the E92, but also in 3rd.

Personally, I don't like being "that BMW guy" who blasts through traffic at 6k RPM. It brings attention from other drivers (and the police) that I do not want. The point of the Harrop kit is you can get all the punchy torque feeling you desire without having to make the engine scream and notify everyone around you that you are haulin' ass.
Hahahs , don't worry, the Harrop screams a lot more than the engine does ....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #46
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
I've been running the 625 kit with both sets of stock cats without a single issue. I keep them on for noise and emissions testing. My exhaust is loud enough as is
My thoughts exactly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX View Post
Hahahs , don't worry, the Harrop screams a lot more than the engine does ....
Valid argument .