BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

06-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #1
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Best method of launching car without LC?

Launch control is a PIA on these cars under normal driving conditions. Especially if the surface isn't perfectly flat and the car rolls.

The options I've tried so far are:
1 - M mode, then do a small rollout then punch the throttle (seems to work better if DSC is off), this isn't really a launch though but is probably a lot better on your transmission and clutch
2 - M mode and floor it. Car revs quickly to roughly 4k and does a decent launch. DSC will probably kick in depending on how much traction you are getting (does for me despite 285 PSS 4s in the back). I might pickup some stickier tires and try without DSC, I suspect right now I will get too much wheel spin. I've read elsewhere this method might put a flat spot in your clutch? Not sure why this is any different for the clutch than LC though? Would an aftermarket clutch make a difference if there even is one?

What would be great is if we could get some software that makes LC easier to use - or maybe improves method #2?

Interested in any helpful thoughts or information you guys may have gained from experience. Also, very interested in any experience from the SC crowd (I'm considering grabbing that new ESS SC - might keep me from buying a new car).
      06-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I typically used MDM and tipped into the throttle slightly, which let the clutch slip just enough to get the car rolling -- then I would mash the gas pedal. All of this took maybe a quarter of a second. So yes, idea #1 in your post.

I agree that if you just bury your foot at a standstill, the clutches slip too much or you get tons of wheelspin.

Longboarder might be able to speak to it since I know he did a lot of airstrip stuff in his SC M3.
Nautik36.50
      06-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

yeah the LC is not consistent enough, but i've luckily been able to get to turn on when i need it too.

to be honest the best way is to just have the "Power" button off, so you can have more control over your throttle vs 1:1 input.
Appreciate 1
Nautik36.50