BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
pharma
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Sparkling Graphite

Advice needed for portable GPS

I am looking for user friendly GPS device. What would be a good one, in terms of memory, graphics and features. Any german brand GPS?
      11-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
CA06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Black Sapphire 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I purchased the Garmin nuvi 660 and love it. I also have a garmin 60c handheld which is good for backpacking and skiing.
      11-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
Pedal2Floor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Euro Delivery Fall 2008

The TomTom ONE is as good as the Garmin's.

You should go to Best Buy or someplace similar and try out the TomTom and Garmin. It will come down to which UI you like better. They both work.

For the USA, Garmin is has slightly better maps. For the Europe, Tom Tom has slightly better maps.

They both use a different route engine and the same origin and destination on either one may result in totally different directions. When comparing realize that with TomTom you have the option of shortest distance, shortest time and several other modes which could create a better route.

If you don't like the Garmin or TomTom, be sure to look for a Sirf III compliant GPS because that will give you the best accuracy

Actually touch and use them at a store before you purchase any GPS
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
pharma
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor
The TomTom ONE is as good as the Garmin's.

You should go to Best Buy or someplace similar and try out the TomTom and Garmin. It will come down to which UI you like better. They both work.

For the USA, Garmin is has slightly better maps. For the Europe, Tom Tom has slightly better maps.

They both use a different route engine and the same origin and destination on either one may result in totally different directions. When comparing realize that with TomTom you have the option of shortest distance, shortest time and several other modes which could create a better route.

If you don't like the Garmin or TomTom, be sure to look for a Sirf III compliant GPS because that will give you the best accuracy

Actually touch and use them at a store before you purchase any GPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA06
I purchased the Garmin nuvi 660 and love it. I also have a garmin 60c handheld which is good for backpacking and skiing.

Thanks for the info. Anyone has experience with Garmin Nuvi 350 or Lowrance iWay 500c ?
      11-20-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

This is the GPS you should get - fits right in your pocket, uses NavTeq maps, can lock on to 20 satellites, and runs on Mobile Navigator 6 (BMW uses the Navigon software as well):
https://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/...mer/bundlelist
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
pharma
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarabeo
This is the GPS you should get - fits right in your pocket, uses NavTeq maps, can lock on to 20 satellites, and runs on Mobile Navigator 6 (BMW uses the Navigon software as well):
https://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/...mer/bundlelist
I notice it's in Euro, do they ship to US?
      11-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

I've used the TomTom go 900 for the past couple of years. I like it, very user friendly. I actually like it better than the BMW nav system, much easier to search for different POIs and setup waypoints along your route.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
250XFOS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ED10-18-06/335i Monaco\Brown

HEY GUYS, do any of those portable GPS have capability of using Europe Maps, thing is I will do ED, and wont have Navi on the new car, so I prefer to buy a portable but one that you can install Europe maps as well as USA or Canada.

Does anyone know which brand and model probably ?

Thanks

Good Luck
      02-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
I have a Lowrance iWay 500c and it works great but its a little to big for the E90. I have used it in my F150 and its fine but when I have used it in the E90 I didnt like it just to big on that little dash.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250XFOS View Post
HEY GUYS, do any of those portable GPS have capability of using Europe Maps, thing is I will do ED, and wont have Navi on the new car, so I prefer to buy a portable but one that you can install Europe maps as well as USA or Canada.

Thanks

Good Luck
Navigon! My Transonic 6000 came with US/Europe maps on a 2 gigabyte card. Check out their website: https://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
Tomas
Rep
n/a
Drives:

TomTom 910 has Euro maps as well as US. Runs on a 20 gig hard drive which has more than 12 gigs free to be used as an MP# player. Worked great last week. Managed to find Munich factory from the delivery center, two hotels and the drop off point. Did have a little trouble in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy. GPS seemed to work OK but the map was 300 yards wrong. Been there before so it didn't really matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
spesrf25
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250XFOS View Post

Thanks

Good Luck
The tomtom 910 along with the Garmin gps's are now coming with all USA and Europe maps pre-installed. I have the Garmin 360. I bought it before the new Garmin's with the Europe maps, but it has been great. The features are wonderful, but you would not believe how much the slimness of the unit comes in handy. Since you have to take it out of the car everytime you get out, you can just slip it in your pocket. You can't do that with most Auto GPSs.

BMW X5d (Ordered)
2007 335i Coupe (sold)

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
spesrf25
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
TomTom 910 has Euro maps as well as US. Runs on a 20 gig hard drive which has more than 12 gigs free to be used as an MP# player. Worked great last week. Managed to find Munich factory from the delivery center, two hotels and the drop off point. Did have a little trouble in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy. GPS seemed to work OK but the map was 300 yards wrong. Been there before so it didn't really matter.
Just got back from that area....did you check out the Temporary BMW Museum? It had about three cars in it. At least it was only 2 euro (i think). Can't wait till they finish the new one. I may have to go back for it. BTW....the Garmin Nuvi 360took me right there.....lol.

BMW X5d (Ordered)
2007 335i Coupe (sold)

Appreciate 0