BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

05-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey guys,

Just had the car pull a limp mode and stalled at a stop sign. Wouldn't start over, DCT transmission.

Managed to get it to start by giving it gas while turning it over. Limp'ed it home. Restarted - all fine, stored CEL.

CCID codes showed 24 - 50 - 354 - 672

Haven't been able to get it diagnosed yet. I restarted the car in the evening, CEL is gone, went for a quick drive and no issues.

Throttle actuators were replaced last year.

ICV? Fuel Breather Valve? Thermostat? Low Fuel Pressure Sensor?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Hey guys,

Just had the car pull a limp mode and stalled at a stop sign. Wouldn't start over, DCT transmission.

Managed to get it to start by giving it gas while turning it over. Limp'ed it home. Restarted - all fine, stored CEL.

Haven't been able to get it diagnosed yet. I restarted the car in the evening, CEL is gone, went for a quick drive and no issues.

Sounds like the warning signs of a failing alternator.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 12:06 AM   #3
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Hey guys,

Sounds like the warning signs of a failing alternator.
Alternator failure usually comes with battery discharge warnings. I don't have that code.

I should add my idle was rough, jumping from 500 to 2,000 RPM before dying.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Rough idle & stalling with CEL

When my alternator first started going it would throw ABS, traction control, and other secondary system codes. I think it's the engine trying to stay alive by disconnecting "unnecessary" systems prior to stalling out. It happened once at a red light after an hr drive, again a month later randomly while driving, then one month later I started getting the battery discharge warnings, clock reset, etc. and then eventually stalled out while sitting at a red light and wouldn't start again.

100% anecdotal because I considered them flukes or quirks at first and didn't think much of it, but I think it was all connected. Just something to consider because I saw a couple of your codes are ABS, traction control, and TPMS if my google search is worth a damn.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
When my alternator first started going it would throw ABS, traction control, and other secondary system codes. I think it's the engine trying to stay alive by disconnecting "unnecessary" systems prior to stalling out. It happened once at a red light after an hr drive, again a month later randomly while driving, then one month later I started getting the battery discharge warnings, clock reset, etc. and then eventually stalled out while sitting at a red light and wouldn't start again.

100% anecdotal because I considered them flukes or quirks at first and didn't think much of it, but I think it was all connected. Just something to consider because I saw a couple of your codes are ABS, traction control, and TPMS if my google search is worth a damn.
Interesting.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. Haven't had other issues since.
Appreciate 0