BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-11-2020, 10:08 PM   #23
Kelse92
Member
United_States
306
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Anybody read the reviews on these recently? One s2000 owner reports it feels like it's going to hydroplane at 60mph in the rain haha
Thought these might be a nice cheap replacement for PS4s, but guess I'll keep looking lol
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #24
dparm
World's greatest HPDE driver
dparm's Avatar
United_States
2460
Rep
7,528
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Anybody read the reviews on these recently? One s2000 owner reports it feels like it's going to hydroplane at 60mph in the rain haha
Thought these might be a nice cheap replacement for PS4s, but guess I'll keep looking lol

Take those user reviews with a grain of salt. Is that a competent driver? Do they actually know what hydroplaning is? How is the car modified? Was the tire inflated properly? What were the conditions on that specific road and day/time? The Tire Rack test did indicate it's a little edgy in the wet, but it doesn't sound dangerous IMO:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=248


If you want a cheap PS4S alternative, maybe get the older PSS or look at the Kumho PS91 which seems to be a copycat. Do you run your PS4S as your wet track tire, or is it purely for the street?
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #25
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1267
Rep
1,881
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Anybody read the reviews on these recently? One s2000 owner reports it feels like it's going to hydroplane at 60mph in the rain haha
Thought these might be a nice cheap replacement for PS4s, but guess I'll keep looking lol
also how heavy was the rainfall? I have hydroplaned all over in a brand new Subaru Forester with all seasons when it was pouring rain.
__________________
I am never able to post pictures on forums, all my pics are on IG @baye30 https://www.instagram.com/baye30/
Current Garage - [2011 E90 M3 ZCP] [2005 E53 X5 3.0 Sport] [1988 E30 325IS 24V]
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #26
Kelse92
Member
United_States
306
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Take those user reviews with a grain of salt. Is that a competent driver? Do they actually know what hydroplaning is? How is the car modified? Was the tire inflated properly? What were the conditions on that specific road and day/time? The Tire Rack test did indicate it's a little edgy in the wet, but it doesn't sound dangerous IMO:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=248


If you want a cheap PS4S alternative, maybe get the older PSS or look at the Kumho PS91 which seems to be a copycat. Do you run your PS4S as your wet track tire, or is it purely for the street?
I need a wet-track tire that I can daily on. The PS4s is the go-to, but the sticker shock still gets me, so looking for an alternative if it exists. Considered PSS but they're not much less in terms of cost.
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #27
dparm
World's greatest HPDE driver
dparm's Avatar
United_States
2460
Rep
7,528
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
I need a wet-track tire that I can daily on. The PS4s is the go-to, but the sticker shock still gets me, so looking for an alternative if it exists. Considered PSS but they're not much less in terms of cost.

LOL yeah, they can definitely get away with commanding that premium.


Have you skimmed the test results on Tire Rack's website to see what the other competitors are in that "max performance" category? The Corvette guys like the Conti ExtremeContactSport as a cheaper alternative to the OEM PSS. Wet traction seems to be pretty good on that.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST