BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

05-27-2020, 02:45 AM   #1035
deme87
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbarajs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deme87 View Post
The part no. for my car is different but they look almost identical.
Hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks again!
The Z4 we installed had part no: 9267955, and as stated there were no errors post-installation!
Hi I have installed it yesterday and thankfully no errors!!

Just a problem though I have noticed. Is not very obvious but the icons seem a bit stretched. Did anyone else notice this? Mine is a E89 Cic unit.

I have attached two photos showing the dimensions and even if it is not a very scientific method it is obvious they are not square. The second photo show how a square should look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:57 AM   #1036
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 sedan, BMW 328i

Quote:

Just a problem though I have noticed. Is not very obvious but the icons seem a bit stretched. Did anyone else notice this? Mine is a E89 Cic unit.

I have attached two photos showing the dimensions and even if it is not a very scientific method it is obvious they are not square. The second photo show how a square should look.
Are you sure you have set the dip switch 1and 3 to the correct position? It controls the display size depending on the CIC screen type
Attached Images

05-27-2020, 03:01 AM   #1037
deme87
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure you have set the dip switch 1and 3 to the correct position? It controls the display size depending on the CIC screen type
I am pretty sure. Maybe I will remove and check again. But would the change be so small? I mean if it was set for a 6.5 inch wouldn't the distortion be much more visible?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:08 AM   #1038
deme87
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am pretty sure. Maybe I will remove and check again. But would the change be so small? I mean if it was set for a 6.5 inch wouldn't the distortion be much more visible?
I took it out tried all DIP combinations and no change. OEM idrive menus seem ok so it could be the software am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #1039
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
I took it out tried all DIP combinations and no change. OEM idrive menus seem ok so it could be the software am not sure.

Honestly, I haven't taken a close look at icon measurements, but it doesn't look stretched of any sort in my system.

During my initial setup days, I was playing around with dip switches and set it up to F series settings (1,3 both OFF), nothing happened in the beginning, but after a system reboot, I had smaller screen display and stretched system icons and it was clearly noticeable.

The dip switch change effect usually takes place post-reboot, you can change the dip and pull out the white harness plug, reconnect and see if that makes a difference. (there is a system reboot menu also inside the carplay settings, or you can use the reset pin on the carplay device)

You can write to Enrique from carplay on Whatsapp and see if they can help (+86 158 8973 6925)
      05-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #1040
deme87
Rep

I have tried that but no success.
I did some further investigation. I took a screenshot while connected to the unit and the resolution was : 1364 × 480 but the CIC resolution is 1280x480. This could explain why it is stretched. I informed Ivan on Whatsapp but I will try Enrique too.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:23 AM   #1041
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
I have tried that but no success.
I did some further investigation. I took a screenshot while connected to the unit and the resolution was : 1364 × 480 but the CIC resolution is 1280x480. This could explain why it is stretched. I informed Ivan on Whatsapp but I will try Enrique too.
Here is the screenshot of my Carplay screen, just compare it with yours and see if its the same.
Attached Images

05-28-2020, 02:44 AM   #1042
deme87
Rep

I checked yours and is 1280 × 450 which is much closer to the 1280x480 of the screen. Mine is way off!
I spoke with Enrique and then to Kevin and they are trying to convince me that this is normal and I should accept it. I cant get them to understand. They keep telling me yours is a special car etc etc and that they never had this issue reported before. And keep telling me it works perfectly and is the best product!!!

I really dont understand since I show them the screenshot and it obviously has the wrong resolution and they are still trying to convince me is correct!! What I think is the box is asking the iphone for the wrong resolution and then as a result of the wrong proportions the screen image looks stretched.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:14 AM   #1043
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
I checked yours and is 1280 × 450 which is much closer to the 1280x480 of the screen. Mine is way off!
I spoke with Enrique and then to Kevin and they are trying to convince me that this is normal and I should accept it. I cant get them to understand. They keep telling me yours is a special car etc etc and that they never had this issue reported before. And keep telling me it works perfectly and is the best product!!!

I really dont understand since I show them the screenshot and it obviously has the wrong resolution and they are still trying to convince me is correct!! What I think is the box is asking the iphone for the wrong resolution and then as a result of the wrong proportions the screen image looks stretched.
Their customer support is pathetic and I too had a bitter experience while solving for KCAN error. They just don't want to understand and only force you to accept what they have to say. I am not going back to them for another purchase for sure!
      05-28-2020, 04:30 AM   #1044
deme87
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Their customer support is pathetic and I too had a bitter experience while solving for KCAN error. They just don't want to understand and only force you to accept what they have to say. I am not going back to them for another purchase for sure!
Quote:
Quote:

Their solution is this: Find another friend that had a CIC system, install it and if it works then sell it to them! Are they even serious?
They don't believe is their product's issue but with the car. I have asked for a technical explanation as to how can this be but ofcourse nothing. They say sir you have a beautiful car and product is perfect 😂
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #1045
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Their solution is this: Find another friend that had a CIC system, install it and if it works then sell it to them! Are they even serious?
They don't believe is their product's issue but with the car. I have asked for a technical explanation as to how can this be but ofcourse nothing. They say sir you have a beautiful car and product is perfect 😂
Not sure why you resolution is different than mine as we have same CIC system. I am sure this can be addressed thru updates. Honestly for me the resolution is same from day one, though we had to update MCU and other software several times due to other factors.

You can search through some posts in the forum about coding new screen resolution in CIC, I am sure I have seen few, but don't have them handy.

As for Joyeauto customer care don't expect much, its difficult to make them understand and more challanging to convience them about their improvement opportunities.
      05-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #1046
deme87
Rep

Quote:
Not sure why you resolution is different than mine as we have same CIC system. I am sure this can be addressed thru updates. Honestly for me the resolution is same from day one, though we had to update MCU and other software several times due to other factors.

You can search through some posts in the forum about coding new screen resolution in CIC, I am sure I have seen few, but don't have them handy.

As for Joyeauto customer care don't expect much, its difficult to make them understand and more challanging to convience them about their improvement opportunities.
I don't think it will be fixed by changing the CIC resolution. I think what is happening is that the carplay unit requests the wrong resolution from the iphone during handshake. But yes am sure it could be fixed by a software update on their part but from what i can see they don't care! They keep saying this is expected behaviour and their product is the best.
Also I have noticed that when making calls there is an echo basically rendering the call functionality useless. I reverted to using the BT for calls and the dock connector for audio playback. Basically just using the unit as a monitor. Still a worthwhile upgrade but yes I wish the support was a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #1047
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Has there been any improvement to sound quality via AUX/USB or is poor bass still the expectation without a Combox BT connection?
      06-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #1048
deme87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Has there been any improvement to sound quality via AUX/USB or is poor bass still the expectation without a Combox BT connection?
The AUX quality was not that bad (lower bass and more flat) but I am using the USB connection in the centre console armrest. It is much better from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #1049
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The AUX quality was not that bad (lower bass and more flat) but I am using the USB connection in the centre console armrest. It is much better from there.
I thought both USB and AUX in the armrest were required when not running Combox?
      06-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #1050
deme87
Rep

Quote:
I thought both USB and AUX in the armrest were required when not running Combox?
If you dont have BT then you can run everything via the AUX cable and use the mic that comes with the box for calls etc. You dont have to use AUX and usb together.
In my case I have BT and use that for calls (because the mic causes echo during calls) and use the armrest usb just for music audio and not use AUX at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #1051
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you dont have BT then you can run everything via the AUX cable and use the mic that comes with the box for calls etc. You dont have to use AUX and usb together.
In my case I have BT and use that for calls (because the mic causes echo during calls) and use the armrest usb just for music audio and not use AUX at all.
Do you have Combox BT (audio over BT) or just phonecall BT in your car?

Do you experience issues with switching between BT and USB audio when a phonecall comes in?
      06-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #1052
deme87
Rep

Quote:

Do you experience issues with switching between BT and USB audio when a phonecall comes in?
Yes I have COMBOX BT but I am only using BT for phone calls not for music (there is an option in iDrive to set this just for calls). The switching is ok, I dont notice anything. The only thing though is I cannot get navigation directions from Carplay but that is a good compromise over better audio quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #1053
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I have COMBOX BT but I am only using BT for phone calls not for music (there is an option in iDrive to set this just for calls). The switching is ok, I dont notice anything. The only thing though is I cannot get navigation directions from Carplay but that is a good compromise over better audio quality.
Do you have the same issue with navigation directions when connected via Combox BT rather than USB?
      06-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #1054
deme87
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have the same issue with navigation directions when connected via Combox BT rather than USB?
To be honest I haven't tried sending everything via BT but reading in the forums it seems that navigation directions only come via aux and carplay
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #1055
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
To be honest I haven't tried sending everything via BT but reading in the forums it seems that navigation directions only come via aux and carplay
Yes, that's one of the biggest drawbacks I have seen. The Navigation doesn't come through Bluetooth. If I select AUX the music audio quality is not as great as Combox BT.
      06-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #1056
deme87
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's one of the biggest drawbacks I have seen. The Navigation doesn't come through Bluetooth. If I select AUX the music audio quality is not as great as Combox BT.
There is an option in Google maps and Waze that says 'Play as Bluetooth phone call' but I haven't tried that yet.

On another note i have asked another guy on reddit who installed this on his i3. And he checked his resolution and it was wrong like mine. So definitely is not just me and my car is not special like Joyeauto keep telling me 😂
Appreciate 0