BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Mporium BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2018, 05:46 AM   #23
Mvy
Captain
United_States
464
Rep
952
Posts

Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: GA Peach

iTrader: (0)

Hey all,
Replaced both valve covers, tubes, sparks and coils. No regrets I went this way. I used FCP euro so if they leak again, lifetime warranty!

Id recommend going this route when yours leak.
__________________

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #24
Tewie
Lieutenant
Tewie's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
460
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP Melbourne/FoxRed
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Vallejo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Hey all,
Replaced both valve covers, tubes, sparks and coils. No regrets I went this way. I used FCP euro so if they leak again, lifetime warranty!

Id recommend going this route when yours leak.
Did you DIY?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #25
Solo_M_Tech
Colonel
Solo_M_Tech's Avatar
United_States
1457
Rep
2,978
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Central Florida

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Do the upper timing cover gaskets while you have the valve covers off. They tend to leak at the same time, or shortly after removing the valve covers. They are really cheap and it adds 10 minutes to the job
__________________
2008 E90, JB/FR
APEX / ECS / AFE / BORLA / Brembo / ESS / H&R / IND
Insta: @M_POWER_S65
Appreciate 1
M3Post441.50

      11-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #26
Mvy
Captain
United_States
464
Rep
952
Posts

Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: GA Peach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewie View Post
Did you DIY?
No. Im supercharged so you have to take the plenum off to get to all these parts. Not worth the hassle for me.
__________________

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #27
MPower7
First Lieutenant
MPower7's Avatar
80
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 11' e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SF

iTrader: (1)

Is it recommended to replace both Oil Seperators? Does this list I complied have everything I will need to replace?

1x Valve Cover Gasket Cyl 1-4
1x Valve Cover Gasket Cyl 5-8
8x Spark Plug Tubes
2x Collar Screws M6: 11127841218
24x Collar Screws M6x37.5: 112784121
Drei Bond

Total cost of this is $376.97 for Parts. Adding an extra 180 with oil separators.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #28
im4ipsc
Private First Class
im4ipsc's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP Comp S/C
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC

iTrader: (1)

Difficulty level for removing oil separators

How hard is it to replace the two oil separators on an E9X M3 S65? My local shop wanted $960 to do this but I'm seeing $206 total in OEM oil separators from partscontainer on eBay, two 11157838370 gaskets for the oil separators at $25 total and another $8 in screws (M6x16) replacement (if even needed?) for a total parts outlay of $239. What I don't know is how difficult it is to change out the two oil separators on the S65 engine? Does anybody have a DIY and an estimated time to replace two oil separators?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #29
drrust
Lieutenant
drrust's Avatar
185
Rep
540
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4ipsc View Post
How hard is it to replace the two oil separators on an E9X M3 S65? My local shop wanted $960 to do this but I'm seeing $206 total in OEM oil separators from partscontainer on eBay, two 11157838370 gaskets for the oil separators at $25 total and another $8 in screws (M6x16) replacement (if even needed?) for a total parts outlay of $239. What I don't know is how difficult it is to change out the two oil separators on the S65 engine? Does anybody have a DIY and an estimated time to replace two oil separators?
It just entails removing the plenum.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #30
ppy1111
New Member
2
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
Seems like the mustardy and peeling cover issue is common. Is it recommended to just replace the cover?
My engine looedk a lot worst than the one in the picture.. I just replaced my valve cover gaskets a month ago.. I didn't replace the valve covers since they are so expensive.. I did get them powder coated though since the coating was peeling so bad and It was probably causing some of the leak..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #31
Alecb0929
New Member
Alecb0929's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Competition
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppy1111 View Post
My engine looedk a lot worst than the one in the picture.. I just replaced my valve cover gaskets a month ago.. I didn't replace the valve covers since they are so expensive.. I did get them powder coated though since the coating was peeling so bad and It was probably causing some of the leak..
My gaskets are leaking a little too, a little less than in the pictures, but I was considering doing a powder coat whenever I change them. How has it worked for you and what did it cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #32
MPower7
First Lieutenant
MPower7's Avatar
80
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 11' e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SF

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post
Do the upper timing cover gaskets while you have the valve covers off. They tend to leak at the same time, or shortly after removing the valve covers. They are really cheap and it adds 10 minutes to the job
Can you elaborate on this diy? What is the Torque to reinstall, are new bolts best practice? Are there any other gaskets required to replace before reinstalling? Thanks!

Last edited by MPower7; 05-06-2020 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST