BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-17-2022, 08:49 AM   #23
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by daitheflu20 View Post
These are my temps from a normal 30 mile interstate commute into work back on the morning of April 26 (much cooler weather here in ATL).

My numbers may not be a good reference point, though. I've been getting DCT overheating messages if I'm stuck in traffic or even just idling for 10-15 minutes in the garage. I'm not sure if I've got a bad temp sensor or worn clutches. If the clutches are slipping, it isnt obvious to me.

Also, I have a high capacity DCT sump, DO88 DCT & oil coolers and only about 500 miles on a fresh DCT service (fluid, filters and thermostat).

BTW you can also get DCT temps from a Foxwell NT301. 144C is nearly 300F and the car wasnt even running when I grabbed this screenshot. Maybe the temp sensor or maybe weirdness with how Foxwell displays these temps.
Curious, you get aux water pump code A6D1?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 09:54 AM   #24
daitheflu20
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Curious, you get aux water pump code A6D1?
I dont think so...doesnt sound familiar. I am getting 2B59 - Coolant thermostat monitoring & 2AFA - Coolant temperature sensor, plausibility. Neither of these have caused the check engine light to illuminate. I have new coolant temp sensor ready to install when I replace valve cover gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 10:42 AM   #25
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I dont think so...doesnt sound familiar. I am getting 2B59 - Coolant thermostat monitoring & 2AFA - Coolant temperature sensor, plausibility. Neither of these have caused the check engine light to illuminate. I have new coolant temp sensor ready to install when I replace valve cover gaskets.
Thanks. The aux pump get coolant to the DCT oil/coolant heat exhanger. Broken on mine, replaced it and hoping to calm down the DCT overheat code.
Similar behavour to yours, cool in auto on high way, can overheat standing still. This is where I hope the coolant (with 80-90) can bring down the fluid.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 07:47 PM   #26
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I get that code from time to time but so far no DCT temp errors.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 12:48 AM   #27
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
These are my temps from a normal 30 mile interstate commute into work back on the morning of April 26 (much cooler weather here in ATL).

My numbers may not be a good reference point, though. I've been getting DCT overheating messages if I'm stuck in traffic or even just idling for 10-15 minutes in the garage. I'm not sure if I've got a bad temp sensor or worn clutches. If the clutches are slipping, it isnt obvious to me.

Also, I have a high capacity DCT sump, DO88 DCT & oil coolers and only about 500 miles on a fresh DCT service (fluid, filters and thermostat).

BTW you can also get DCT temps from a Foxwell NT301. 144C is nearly 300F and the car wasnt even running when I grabbed this screenshot. Maybe the temp sensor or maybe weirdness with how Foxwell displays these temps.
Btw easy to confirm whether the fluid actually is hot or a sensor went bust, the oil/air cooler up front under bumper gets warm.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #28
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
I get that code from time to time but so far no DCT temp errors.
Believe the pump kick in now and then, hence the sporadic code even after clearing (assuming its broken).

My idea is a long shot as when becoming hot the Tstat on the DCT "should" direct the oil out to the air radiator rather than the coolant/fluid cooler. So far no codes but the fluid radiator cetainly is getting hot so we have to see.

Still can't understand where all the heat in the box is coming from...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #29
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
This DO88 should lower the temps. I was getting sluggish shifting even on the streets.

Now I just need to data log.
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 12:18 PM   #30
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Thought a quick feedback on the aux water pump replacement could be of interest for folks with DCT heat issues.
Been driving a few weeks now, Summer temp and plenty city driving e.g. when I got the DCT heat code on a regular bases.
Got it ones after new pump but after bleeding the system the code have stayed away. Maybe, just maybe the pump actually did the trick.
(guess code first thing tomorrow after this report...)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 12:46 AM   #31
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Thought a quick feedback on the aux water pump replacement could be of interest for folks with DCT heat issues.
Been driving a few weeks now, Summer temp and plenty city driving e.g. when I got the DCT heat code on a regular bases.
Got it ones after new pump but after bleeding the system the code have stayed away. Maybe, just maybe the pump actually did the trick.
(guess code first thing tomorrow after this report...)
I took the car to track and had Zero lag or power reduction due to DCT. Their DO88 is a must for aggressive driving. I was I could easily monitor the temp, but I pushed hard at Buttonwillow and it handled business.

My oil hit 280F and cooled to 255F while pushing hard, a cool down lap would bring me down to 235F.

The weak point for me was coolant. I hit 240F on engine temps and it pulled power and had to run a cool down and get of track.

I will upgrade my radiator and run 50/50 water/coolant.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 03:18 AM   #32
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
I took the car to track and had Zero lag or power reduction due to DCT. Their DO88 is a must for aggressive driving. I was I could easily monitor the temp, but I pushed hard at Buttonwillow and it handled business.

My oil hit 280F and cooled to 255F while pushing hard, a cool down lap would bring me down to 235F.

The weak point for me was coolant. I hit 240F on engine temps and it pulled power and had to run a cool down and get of track.

Can't measure the fluid temp but touching the cooler after stop have became a (bad) habit... Soon as speed comes down the temp goes up significantly vs high way driving. What do you measure during typically normal driving conditions, still well above 200F?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #33
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post

Can't measure the fluid temp but touching the cooler after stop have became a (bad) habit... Soon as speed comes down the temp goes up significantly vs high way driving. What do you measure during typically normal driving conditions, still well above 200F?
In normal street driving I only monitor the oil level and temp on the dash. If I think I'm going to be pushing it I monitor engine temp and oil temp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0