BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-03-2022, 07:19 PM   #111
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I rented a u-haul van to transport the exhaust. The factory system with the cats still attached is a little long. Didn't fit in any of my cars.
Appreciate the feedback, thx...sounds prudent to plan given the length.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 07:42 PM   #112
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

i can fit a full exhaust in my E92 lol. E.Race with Connecting pipes attached and a full RKP Sport
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2022, 08:00 PM   #113
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
i can fit a full exhaust in my E92 lol. E.Race with Connecting pipes attached and a full RKP Sport
Really, inside???
Able to close trunk, etc w/o issue?

Actually, need to return the OEM cat/X-pipe. New Bomiz install next week.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 08:35 PM   #114
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
Really, inside???
Able to close trunk, etc w/o issue?

Actually, need to return the OEM cat/X-pipe. New Bomiz install next week.
yeah assuming you can fold your seats down.. but yeah I fit a full exhaust system without disassembling it.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2022, 12:36 PM   #115
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
yeah assuming you can fold your seats down.. but yeah I fit a full exhaust system without disassembling it.
M3, really a jack of all trades.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #116
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
M3, really a jack of all trades.
yeah i was trying to find a pic of me doing it, but i forgot who i sent the image too lol.

can carry alot of stuff in this car if you play tetris and come prepared.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 09:20 PM   #117
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Yes, a full ESS Tuning xpipe fit in mine without disassembly.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #118
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

I have the valvetronic forward x pipe and this thread peaked my interest. Want to add a second set of resonators but based on the design of this x pipe not sure they would fit in the secondary position. Can anyone comment if you think a shop could fit two resonators or am I SOL?

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #119
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiciliano View Post
I have the valvetronic forward x pipe and this thread peaked my interest. Want to add a second set of resonators but based on the design of this x pipe not sure they would fit in the secondary position. Can anyone comment if you think a shop could fit two resonators or am I SOL?

Honestly it probably depends on what resonators you get and the skill of the shop.

How do you like that x pipe?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-13-2022, 10:40 AM   #120
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Honestly it probably depends on what resonators you get and the skill of the shop.

How do you like that x pipe?
For the price it's probably the cheapest option out there for those who want a forward x design. I have the full v2 system and it sounds great. I am still toying with adding two more resonators and replacing the cats as the ones that come with it are garbage. Want to weld in some GESI's instead.

If I could do it again i'd buy the catless version for $999 and weld in some GESI's instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #121
Pet Rock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have a Corsa coming in soon. Going to pair it with borla quad resonated x pipe. Hopefully it will sound somewhat similar to the one in the video while I continue the search for ESS..

https://youtu.be/qDWsSimzXeg
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #122
gkgsvensson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Wow my thread really blew up…sadly my car is totaled, but maybe someone could find my xpipe out there somewhere??

People asking for a sound clip, PM me. I’m biased but to this day I haven’t heard a more “smooth, exotic” setup
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 07:35 PM   #123
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Rock View Post
Have a Corsa coming in soon. Going to pair it with borla quad resonated x pipe. Hopefully it will sound somewhat similar to the one in the video while I continue the search for ESS..

https://youtu.be/qDWsSimzXeg
That video is the best sounding S65 exhaust period. Fairly positive the really long resonators on the ESS x pipe is the secret.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 09:48 PM   #124
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1916371&page=2

Get a custom one based on the BW skematics. 2.5” down pipes into the X pipe (appears to be a Magnaflow off the shelf unit) add in two HFC and Vibrant Ultra Quiet (or something else) resonators after the merger.
      06-13-2022, 06:26 PM   #125
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
That video is the best sounding S65 exhaust period. Fairly positive the really long resonators on the ESS x pipe is the secret.
My OEM Xpipe with test pipes and Corsa rear sounds very very similar to that setup above and I agree it is a very very clean refined tone that is just awesome. Corsa FTW
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 11:06 PM   #126
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
My OEM Xpipe with test pipes and Corsa rear sounds very very similar to that setup above and I agree it is a very very clean refined tone that is just awesome. Corsa FTW
I too am running that setup too (corsa + test pipes). It's great, and I'd probably be ok just leaving it as is permanently.

The ess x pipe + corsa sounds a little higher pitched to me, a little more exotic sounding, which I believe is due to the forward x of the ESS X pipe.

The forward X theoretically yields more power due to greater scavenging effect.

Anyway, given what we know about the sound and power gains- I'm kind of wondering why there isn't a single manufacturer that makes an x pipe like this:

-Forward X
-High quality high flow cat after the X
-High quality resonator
-Oem Exhaust connection.

I'd buy one if it was done right, and I suspect others would too.
Appreciate 4
M3SQRD2144.50
      06-14-2022, 07:20 PM   #127
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I too am running that setup too (corsa + test pipes). It's great, and I'd probably be ok just leaving it as is permanently.

The ess x pipe + corsa sounds a little higher pitched to me, a little more exotic sounding, which I believe is due to the forward x of the ESS X pipe.

The forward X theoretically yields more power due to greater scavenging effect.

Anyway, given what we know about the sound and power gains- I'm kind of wondering why there isn't a single manufacturer that makes an x pipe like this:

-Forward X
-High quality high flow cat after the X
-High quality resonator
-Oem Exhaust connection.

I'd buy one if it was done right, and I suspect others would too.
You are correct. I think companies are gun shy on emissions and when you add in the correct high flows to the primary position it will double the price. May not be a lot of margin in that case.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      06-14-2022, 09:53 PM   #128
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgsvensson View Post
Wow my thread really blew up…sadly my car is totaled, but maybe someone could find my xpipe out there somewhere??

People asking for a sound clip, PM me. I’m biased but to this day I haven’t heard a more “smooth, exotic” setup
My wife even liked it, and she doesn’t know anything about cars.
Appreciate 1
nah dude237.00
      06-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #129
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You are correct. I think companies are gun shy on emissions and when you add in the correct high flows to the primary position it will double the price. May not be a lot of margin in that case.
It’s not even that - these aftermarket companies do the literal bare minimum, if not even worse. There is no R&D in any of the products, and that’s why the Bimmerworld Pipe and configuration blows them out of the water. It’s just lazy design + heavy ///Marketing and ///M tax.

I remember back in the early 2000s a guy on Freshalloy (A Nissan forum, when forums were the go-to, before new age social media) and campaigned his own 240sx in a time attack, against some big name shops. One of them was Tein (Suspension Manufacturer) He dusted them, and a few others.

And it was there I realized that these aftermarket companies are all hype and no substance. Same thing happened back in my E46 days - the M52tu and M54 engines were still newer, and a big tuner (And a sponsor here) offered a ‘custom tune’ for your mods. Come to find out it made less power (and cost more) than a simple 5 year old shark injector.

Again, you are better off just having bubba at the local exhaust shop build your exhaust then you are paying these guys almost 3k for their overpriced crap, that’s likey made in Taiwan anyhow
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 01:46 PM   #130
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
It’s not even that - these aftermarket companies do the literal bare minimum, if not even worse. There is no R&D in any of the products, and that’s why the Bimmerworld Pipe and configuration blows them out of the water. It’s just lazy design + heavy ///Marketing and ///M tax.

I remember back in the early 2000s a guy on Freshalloy (A Nissan forum, when forums were the go-to, before new age social media) and campaigned his own 240sx in a time attack, against some big name shops. One of them was Tein (Suspension Manufacturer) He dusted them, and a few others.

And it was there I realized that these aftermarket companies are all hype and no substance. Same thing happened back in my E46 days - the M52tu and M54 engines were still newer, and a big tuner (And a sponsor here) offered a ‘custom tune’ for your mods. Come to find out it made less power (and cost more) than a simple 5 year old shark injector.

Again, you are better off just having bubba at the local exhaust shop build your exhaust then you are paying these guys almost 3k for their overpriced crap, that’s likey made in Taiwan anyhow
You aren't wrong, ya know, I have thought of this for a while, and I think what is happening is people are becoming too afraid to, navigate outside of the internet, I guess I will say.

By that I mean, when I saw that what I wanted wasn't a simple "yes" (BW x pipe) I began seeking alternative solutions. I was just about to quit and buy a MS x-pipe (which is still good, especially for the money, people) when I thought of one last angle to try that worked.

So my point, like the above, is if you do not like the options that will ship to your door, you may need to do some calling around to see if anyone can help.

Ask exhaust shops and Indy shops. They can order items not sold to "public". Also, forum members consider very, very, good but nonaffiliated tunes as well. There are more available and a few that are quite good. Go to a BMW CCA event and ask around and look. - see what the quickest guys are running.

I see this topic come up so frequently I think I may need to click up with different pros in different spaces to see if there is anything that can be done.

I empathize with everyone that wants that forward x pipe. - lets all just blame the lawyers.
Appreciate 2
AmuroRay2267.50
DrFerry6728.50
      07-13-2022, 09:14 AM   #131
pkeller99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Just installed my bimmerworld x pipe yesterday with no resonators and WOW the rasp from 2k-2.7k is real, as well as when upshifting/downshifting in lower RPM's. I knew that it would need resonators, but I was able to find one that had no resonators, so I knew that I would be able to add some Vibrant resonators after the fact. Has anyone attempted to add Vibrants 18 inch resonator right after the X on a bimmerworld x pipe? It looks like it may be able to fit in that location with a slight shortening of the 2.5 inch section on each side of the resonator.
      07-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #132
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
A very close X-Pipe solution to what this thread is all about (and most people want) is still available from M3World.com.au in Australia. Approximately 1.4 Australian dollars = 1 American dollar and Australia is a foreign free trade zone so no import taxes or VAT. Dave Dee is the company owner DaveDee. I bought mine about six years ago and it's still working just fine and looks mint (stainless steel version).

Here's the link to it:
Stainless steel or satin black X-Pipe, no primaries, high flow secondaries (200 cpsi)
https://m3world.com.au/shop/exhaust-...catsresonator/

My soundcloud audio files of the set-up:
X-Pipe Exterior
https://soundcloud.com/user-90547482...ipe-exterior-1

X-Pipe Exterior
https://soundcloud.com/user-90547482/m3-x-pipe-exterior

X-Pipe Interior
https://soundcloud.com/user-90547482/m3-x-pipe-interior

There are some other sound clips on this page too:
https://soundcloud.com/user-90547482

This has been discussed in the Official Harrop thread.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1255
and here:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=10
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint

Last edited by DrFerry; 07-13-2022 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 1