BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-03-2020, 05:25 AM   #23
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
thank you for your service to our country.

part of it is i have a problem with doing things 1/2 or 3/4ths of the way. if i have my heart set on attainable $3k seats, i can't put $800 seats in. it would drive me nuts and the $800 would wear on my as being "wasted money." i just can't put parts on the car i know i'm going to replace with a better part in the future. so that has left me with oem seats, and oem suspension. lol
Dude, I'm the saaaaaame way. I was close to buying the PFC rotor and pad kit but I just knew that someday I'd want the BBK, and I'd lose out on basically all that money that I spent on the rotors and pads. I can totally relate to that sentiment.

Fortunately, for me, 800 dollar seats will work just fine.

Do you still daily your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:01 AM   #24
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
6948
Rep
10,549
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

No, I daily drive an electric smart car. I'm very thrifty. lol
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #25
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
6948
Rep
10,549
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

I have an old beater desert truck too. Looks like you dabble in off-roading too.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #26
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I have an old beater desert truck too. Looks like you dabble in off-roading too.
That's awesome!
Yup, my wife daily drives the crawler.

I only have 2 hobbies, crawling very slowly, and driving as fast as possible lol
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 3
      06-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #27
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Cage has the last bar and is painted! Feels so cool to sit back and look at the half cage now that it's done. I'm so happy with how it turned out.

Car is finally ready for the track. Road Atlanta next weekend!
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 2
tsk94280.50
roastbeef6947.50

      06-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #28
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
566
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteM3EMC View Post
Cage has the last bar and is painted! Feels so cool to sit back and look at the half cage now that it's done. I'm so happy with how it turned out.

Car is finally ready for the track. Road Atlanta next weekend!
I'll see you there. Steel Grey E46M3 with 67 TT3 on the doors.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #29
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I'll see you there. Steel Grey E46M3 with 67 TT3 on the doors.
Awesome! I'll come find you

I hang out with the spec Miata boys cuz I like sparkly beer

Trying to figure out if RA has water hookups so I can fill up my truck bed pool that I bought today. It's way more enjoyable than I thought it could ever be
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #30
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Finally got the car out on the track this past weekend. MAN! What a huge difference from where it was last time I was out. I had a great comparison point being that my pre-half cage/seats track event was at Road Atlanta, and then the most recent event was at Road Atlanta as well. I only managed to pick up about a second on my laptime, but, I think that heat played a factor. Back in March, the ambient temps were pretty low and it was cloudy all day, so the track surface was much cooler than it was this weekend. Temps in the upper 80s and sunny as could be. Even so, oil temps never exceeded 265 on entirely stock coolers, so I was pretty happy about that. Only took an occasional cooldown lap which effectively amounted to short shifting and working on momentum cornering.

As far as the mods, the differences were obviously the half cage, full interior stripping (except for front seat carpet and dash), BW solid subframe and differential bushings, and OMP Seat with Schroth 6 point harness.

What a crazy difference it felt like to be strapped into the car. I think the biggest difference is that it just felt so much easier to drive the car fast, repeatably.

Regarding the subframe bushings, I can't say that I felt a huge difference over the stock rubber bushings, but the car did feel very good putting the power down and very controllable in oversteer conditions. Either way, happy to have them done.

Regarding the solid differential bushings, I could not love the noise any more. Definitely understand how it would bother some folks for normal street driving, but, I'm ultimately working towards building a full track car here. More "race car" noises are a good thing in my book. Particularly, and you can hear this in the video, around 140, the differential is spinning fast enough to be easily heard while WOT at 140+. Very cool stuff.

I think my favorite part of this track event vs the last one (besides the new PB) is the SOUND that it makes now! With nothing to isolate noise from the exhaust, it sounds absolutely ridiculous when you're on the track! I absolutely love it.

Certainly need to work on my driver mod, I think there's easily another second for me by driving harder into turn 3 and turn 12, and maybe entry into the Esses, but I feel less confident about that transition than other parts of the track.

Some other random notes:
Was finally able to figure out my coding problems. Using several different race seat coding articles didn't work for me, and here's why. I had removed my side airbags as part of the stripping/creating more head room for my giant ass, so I had to go through and code those out as well.

Coded out the TPMS warning, which is good because I hate lights on the dash while I'm driving. The DSC light doesn't bother me terribly, since it comes on as a result of me intentionally doing something. Still, I may look into coding that light off the dash as long as I can still retain some way of knowing that it's actually on or off when I press the button.

More coding, my AC was only blowing hot air even on the max setting. This was particularly bothersome as I was sitting in the car during 2 consecutive red flag sessions because of accidents. Turns out, removing the rear vents and the associated wiring harness throws the AC system into an error state and it won't work properly. I basically played around with some Google Translate to try to pinpoint how to code out the rear vents, and I believe I found it. The AC now blows cold.

Lastly, I never thought I'd be at this place, but right now, I am absolutely sick of working on the car! Very satisfied that it's at a point where I can leave it be for quite some time. Next planned mods are MCS coilovers sometime next spring, and full aero at some point. Guess I should around to building the front half of the cage as well.

Now to the video, first, if you've made it this far, congrats! Would love if some Road Atlanta vets would pick it apart. I've never had an instructor in the car at this track, but one of my very long time instructor friends who I commonly meet up at the track typically watches me when he can and tells me what I'm doing wrong.


Last edited by WhiteM3EMC; 06-18-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 5
Bartledoo1085.50
//steve\\347.00
tsk94280.50
roastbeef6947.50
SonnyJack193.00

      06-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #31
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
566
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteM3EMC View Post
Finally got the car out on the track this past weekend. MAN! What a huge difference from where it was last time I was out. I had a great comparison point being that my pre-half cage/seats track event was at Road Atlanta, and then the most recent event was at Road Atlanta as well. I only managed to pick up about a second on my laptime, but, I think that heat played a factor. Back in March, the ambient temps were pretty low and it was cloudy all day, so the track surface was much cooler than it was this weekend. Temps in the upper 80s and sunny as could be. Even so, oil temps never exceeded 265 on entirely stock coolers, so I was pretty happy about that. Only took an occasional cooldown lap which effectively amounted to short shifting and working on momentum cornering.

As far as the mods, the differences were obviously the half cage, full interior stripping (except for front seat carpet and dash), BW solid subframe and differential bushings, and OMP Seat with Schroth 6 point harness.

What a crazy difference it felt like to be strapped into the car. I think the biggest difference is that it just felt so much easier to drive the car fast, repeatably.

Regarding the subframe bushings, I can't say that I felt a huge difference over the stock rubber bushings, but the car did feel very good putting the power down and very controllable in oversteer conditions. Either way, happy to have them done.

Regarding the solid differential bushings, I could not love the noise any more. Definitely understand how it would bother some folks for normal street driving, but, I'm ultimately working towards building a full track car here. More "race car" noises are a good thing in my book. Particularly, and you can hear this in the video, around 140, the differential is spinning fast enough to be easily heard while WOT at 140+. Very cool stuff.

I think my favorite part of this track event vs the last one (besides the new PB) is the SOUND that it makes now! With nothing to isolate noise from the exhaust, it sounds absolutely ridiculous when you're on the track! I absolutely love it.

Certainly need to work on my driver mod, I think there's easily another second for me by driving harder into turn 3 and turn 12, and maybe entry into the Esses, but I feel less confident about that transition than other parts of the track.

Some other random notes:
Was finally able to figure out my coding problems. Using several different race seat coding articles didn't work for me, and here's why. I had removed my side airbags as part of the stripping/creating more head room for my giant ass, so I had to go through and code those out as well.

Coded out the TPMS warning, which is good because I hate lights on the dash while I'm driving. The DSC light doesn't bother me terribly, since it comes on as a result of me intentionally doing something. Still, I may look into coding that light off the dash as long as I can still retain some way of knowing that it's actually on or off when I press the button.

More coding, my AC was only blowing hot air even on the max setting. This was particularly bothersome as I was sitting in the car during 2 consecutive red flag sessions because of accidents. Turns out, removing the rear vents and the associated wiring harness throws the AC system into an error state and it won't work properly. I basically played around with some Google Translate to try to pinpoint how to code out the rear vents, and I believe I found it. The AC now blows cold.

Lastly, I never thought I'd be at this place, but right now, I am absolutely sick of working on the car! Very satisfied that it's at a point where I can leave it be for quite some time. Next planned mods are MCS coilovers sometime next spring, and full aero at some point. Guess I should around to building the front half of the cage as well.

Now to the video, first, if you've made it this far, congrats! Would love if some Road Atlanta vets would pick it apart. I've never had an instructor in the car at this track, but one of my very long time instructor friends who I commonly meet up at the track typically watches me when he can and tells me what I'm doing wrong.

I'll take a look and compare with my coaches notes. Do you have an AiM ? If so, email to Denis dot Clavette at Comcast dot net . I can you send you back a file with my faster laps.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #32
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I'll take a look and compare with my coaches notes. Do you have an AiM ? If so, email to Denis dot Clavette at Comcast dot net . I can you send you back a file with my faster laps.
Unfortunately I do not. It's certainly on the list of things I'd like to get eventually. I don't think I can convince the wife to let me spend another cent on this car right now lol
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #33
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
566
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteM3EMC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I'll take a look and compare with my coaches notes. Do you have an AiM ? If so, email to Denis dot Clavette at Comcast dot net . I can you send you back a file with my faster laps.
Unfortunately I do not. It's certainly on the list of things I'd like to get eventually. I don't think I can convince the wife to let me spend another cent on this car right now lol
After safety, data logger was the second mod I purchased. Way more important than coil overs , aero and tires.
Appreciate 3
rhyary301.50
Kelse92308.50

      06-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #34
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
After safety, data logger was the second mod I purchased. Way more important than coil overs , aero and tires.
Good to know. I'll add it to the top of the list. Its certainly cheaper than coilovers and aero, and I can't pay these NT01s to wear so I think I'll have em around for a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #35
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
566
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteM3EMC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
After safety, data logger was the second mod I purchased. Way more important than coil overs , aero and tires.
Good to know. I'll add it to the top of the list. Its certainly cheaper than coilovers and aero, and I can't pay these NT01s to wear so I think I'll have em around for a while.
They are a great tire!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #36
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
They are a great tire!
Which AIM should I look into? Would like to buy it once and forget about it
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #37
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
566
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteM3EMC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
They are a great tire!
Which AIM should I look into? Would like to buy it once and forget about it
Solo DL2
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #38
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Solo DL2
Ahhh, that one isn't as pricey as I thought. The SmartyCam is the kick in the pants. Still, 1600 or so for the package isn't awful, and I see a lot of chatter on these threads about data and its interpretation and how that relates to becoming a better driver.

I assume it's better to just opt for the hardwired CAN option? Not like this thing is in pristine electrical shape anyways
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #39
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
566
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteM3EMC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Solo DL2
Ahhh, that one isn't as pricey as I thought. The SmartyCam is the kick in the pants. Still, 1600 or so for the package isn't awful, and I see a lot of chatter on these threads about data and its interpretation and how that relates to becoming a better driver.

I assume it's better to just opt for the hardwired CAN option? Not like this thing is in pristine electrical shape anyways
Definitely want to get the CAN cable it gets you the most amount of channels compared to OBD. M world makes a plug and play harness but if you have an iota of electrical aptitude you can tie into CAN with the AIM supplied cable for less than $10.

Smartycam ultimately is worth it but if you already have a camera then just use that for now. When I am being coached, I'll review Smartycam video as it automatically overlays the data.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #40
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Definitely want to get the CAN cable it gets you the most amount of channels compared to OBD. M world makes a plug and play harness but if you have an iota of electrical aptitude you can tie into CAN with the AIM supplied cable for less than $10.

Smartycam ultimately is worth it but if you already have a camera then just use that for now. When I am being coached, I'll review Smartycam video as it automatically overlays the data.
Yeah the automatic overlay is definitely of interest to me. Fewer things to worry about pre-session. Just finished doing some reading which confirmed what you're saying about the CAN. Seems to be the only way to go. Fortunately, I'm an electrician by trade

I use my phone for video now, but have been considering getting an older model go pro. I'll continue to use my phone and wait until I'm ready to grab the Smartycam
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #41
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
566
Rep
1,744
Posts

Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Your camera sucks! When you upgrade splurge on a Smartycam.

It's hard with out data but a couple things:
- carry more speed into 1. Its uphill. I managed go in at 90 a couple of times this weekend but I run aero and Hoosiers. Burak has similar tires to you and also no aero and he can do 85.
- Hug the inside before the esses. I can stay flat from 3 to entry without coming off the inside.
- I didn't really pay attention to your turn in but turn into esses is earlier than you may think.
- carry more speed into 6. It has lot of camber and in the inside
- 12 looked ok to me though there is always more speed

Watch some of Burak's videos as I think you should be able to match his speed in the corners.


Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #42
WhiteM3EMC
Private First Class
WhiteM3EMC's Avatar
91
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Your camera sucks! When you upgrade splurge on a Smartycam.

It's hard with out data but a couple things:
- carry more speed into 1. Its uphill. I managed go in at 90 a couple of times this weekend but I run aero and Hoosiers. Burak has similar tires to you and also no aero and he can do 85.
- Hug the inside before the esses. I can stay flat from 3 to entry without coming off the inside.
- I didn't really pay attention to your turn in but turn into esses is earlier than you may think.
- carry more speed into 6. It has lot of camber and in the inside
- 12 looked ok to me though there is always more speed

Watch some of Burak's videos as I think you should be able to match his speed in the corners.


Yeah, it's a windshield suction cup and the windshield is dirty in front of the camera to boot.

Thanks for your thoughts! I picked up over 10mph into 12 this weekend just by telling myself that it was ok. That wall is certainly scary.

Very interesting about the Esses. I find my problem with them is trying to get the car back to the left after turn 3, so that I can set up for entry into the Esses, but the main problem is that I can feel it upsetting the chassis and losing grip.

My buddy had been on my ass all day about turn 1. It was certainly a focal point for the weekend, along with 12, but good to know that I can still pick up more speed there.

I guess I wasn't paying much attention to turn 6, but I agree, there's a lot of good camber there. Will definitely work on it in the future.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #43
rTrackM3
Private First Class
rTrackM3's Avatar
41
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Definitely want to get the CAN cable it gets you the most amount of channels compared to OBD. M world makes a plug and play harness but if you have an iota of electrical aptitude you can tie into CAN with the AIM supplied cable for less than $10.

Smartycam ultimately is worth it but if you already have a camera then just use that for now. When I am being coached, I'll review Smartycam video as it automatically overlays the data.
@WhiteM3EMC - Sweet build! Nice to see this platform continue to be converted into track cars.

@ThunderMoose - Totally agreed. I bought the AIM Solo2 system new and was convinced to use the M-World PNP. Made for easy install into the CAN. Must buy if you go with AIM. I am ditching the OEM cluster and upgrading to MXL Dash so the AIM Solo2 will be up for grabs.
__________________
2008 NASA GTS4 National Champion
IG: RyanTrackM3
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:35 AM   #44
rhyary
Major
United_States
302
Rep
1,153
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteM3EMC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
They are a great tire!
Which AIM should I look into? Would like to buy it once and forget about it
Solo DL2
^
and connect it to the can bus
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST