BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

M badge on non-M is no bueno, but what about...

When I bought my car, the trunk badge was missing. I've been meaning to replace it but I just haven't gotten around to it. I can't decide between stock, CF, gun metal, gloss black, matte black, plaid, etc.

Then I happened to see a current gen M3 Competition at the local stealership. Suddenly it occurs to me that, as the owner of a E92 ZCP, the term "Competition" is entirely appropriate. I could easily pick up one of those and mount it.

But the E92 was never badged thusly. So would it be appropriate? My innards say it would be entirely appropriate, but the last thing I'd want would be "BMW enthusiasts" pulling up next to me and saying "nice phony badge" or whatever we yell at people who put //M badges on 5GT family haulers.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

if you want to do it, fine. but we are going to secretly scoff at it.
      12-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
gio14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: z3 Coupe, E93 M3

If yours is indeed a competition model then definitely go for it, nothing to scoff at. I've been considering doing the same since I've got a comp, but since my badge is blacked out need to figure out how to darken it n make sure the width works with the m3 badge.
      12-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

I actually despise the competition badge. Looks so dumb.

I personally wouldn't do it to my E90. And if I had an F8X competition I would highly consider removing the competition badge. The other thing to consider is the "M3" is larger font for the F8x. And I have seen people put these on E9x cars and it just looks too big. So keep that in mind if purchasing the entire set of "M3 Competition" badging. And if you only buy "competition" badging it may be longer than your E9x "M3" font.

Now to answer your question I think it's entirely appropriate. You have a competition package.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I expect no less from you, Beef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio14 View Post
If yours is indeed a competition model then definitely go for it, nothing to scoff at. I've been considering doing the same since I've got a comp, but since my badge is blacked out need to figure out how to darken it n make sure the width works with the m3 badge.
What color is your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post

I personally wouldn't do it to my E90. And if I had an F8X competition I would highly consider removing the competition badge. The other thing to consider is the "M3" is larger font for the F8x. And I have seen people put these on E9x cars and it just looks too big. So keep that in mind if purchasing the entire set of "M3 Competition" badging. And if you only buy "competition" badging it may be longer than your E9x "M3" font.

Now to answer your question I think it's entirely appropriate. You have a competition package.
I didn't even notice the badge until the day I drove the X3M Comp. I thought it would have been interesting if BMW had enough confidence in the ZCP back in the day to offer a badge like that. Then it came along on the F8x, so I figured why not?

I didn't know the badges were different size though, and thats going to be a problem.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11574.50
      12-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
NascaBmw16
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:

I disagree with you.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
NascaBmw16
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
When I bought my car, the trunk badge was missing. I've been meaning to replace it but I just haven't gotten around to it. I can't decide between stock, CF, gun metal, gloss black, matte black, plaid, etc.

Then I happened to see a current gen M3 Competition at the local stealership. Suddenly it occurs to me that, as the owner of a E92 ZCP, the term "Competition" is entirely appropriate. I could easily pick up one of those and mount it.

But the E92 was never badged thusly. So would it be appropriate? My innards say it would be entirely appropriate, but the last thing I'd want would be "BMW enthusiasts" pulling up next to me and saying "nice phony badge" or whatever we yell at people who put //M badges on 5GT family haulers.
Go ahead and do it,will look awesome, I did it on mine ,I love it, I get a lot of complements from others bimmers drivers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Freiheit492.00
      12-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Ehhh.... : I feel like changing the E9x badge to the obviously newer Gen badge is very close to "those people" that think: "I have a 335i 'MSport' so I can put a real M Car badge on my trunk... because you know, it's an 'M-sport'..."

Everyone knows the E9x M3 factory badge and feels a little desperate for attention...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #9
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Typical driver on the street: look at the roundel "oh, a Bimmer... M3.. okay"

For car enthusiasts, that is pretty much equal to fake badge with eager for attention. ZCP or not probably doesn't matter since our cars are about 10 yrs old. It's not like your ZCP having higher HP than the rest of us.

In the end of the day, it's about his you feel about it. There will be people laughing at the non original badge regardless.

Besides, sometimes de-badged is more fun. It leaves normal people puzzled, while M-ers will know you are a M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #10
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

IMO not appropriate. ZCP for E9X doesn't carry the same "performance" boost as the newly dubbed competition models. However, it is your car, just make sure you're okay with the badge being huge haha
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #11
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Ehhh.... : I feel like changing the E9x badge to the obviously newer Gen badge is very close to "those people" that think: "I have a 335i 'MSport' so I can put a real M Car badge on my trunk... because you know, it's an 'M-sport'..."

Everyone knows the E9x M3 factory badge and feels a little desperate for attention...
Yeah my X2MSport has factory M stuff all over it and that bugs me bad enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #12
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romero1990 View Post
Besides, sometimes de-badged is more fun. It leaves normal people puzzled, while M-ers will know you are a M3.

Years ago I went through a drive-thru for some late night grub. The girl in the window was astoundingly good looking - back when such a thing happened - and also from Bulgaria. I used to chat her up from time to time but never took it seriously. One of those "maybe, one day" things. This one particular time I was in my brand new E46 M3. Jet Black, full exhaust, SSR wheels.

She said, "New car?"
"Yes."
"What is it?"
"BMW M3"
"Is that good?"

She was serious.

Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #13
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

I simply did the black M3 badge from the F80.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

I think the "Competition" badge would be okay if sized appropriately (though I'm generally of the less-is-more crowd on badging), my issue is that it would need the F80 sized badge which looks hilariously oversized and mistaken on the E9x.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #15
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
I think the "Competition" badge would be okay if sized appropriately (though I'm generally of the less-is-more crowd on badging), my issue is that it would need the F80 sized badge which looks hilariously oversized and mistaken on the E9x.
Perhaps IND could be convinced to make a proper-sized Competition badge for us.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #16
gio14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: z3 Coupe, E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

Quote:
What color is your car?

Quote:

I didn't even notice the badge until the day I drove the X3M Comp. I thought it would have been interesting if BMW had enough confidence in the ZCP back in the day to offer a badge like that. Then it came along on the F8x, so I figured why not?

I didn't know the badges were different size though, and thats going to be a problem.

Quote:
What color is your car?

[/QUOTE]

Jet black, pretty murdered look except the stock comp wheels n side gills. Badge size issue has been holdin me back, may buy a badge n try to blk it out and see what it looks like. I definitely don't want it screaming look at me, but I think it's fully appropriate since it is the comp package.
      12-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #17
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
My only hesitation would be the e9x Comp distinguishing upgrades are so minimal compared to the f8x. Doesn't really mean all that much... I vote to let the 359s do the talking. But if the badge is exciting go for it!

It's hilarious how endless modding these cars becomes, (this coming from another inflicted owner).
      12-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #18
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
I don't get the obsession with badges. I wouldn't spend any money on badges for non collector cars, especially not for extra badges. I'm a fool though.
      12-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #19
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I've been badgeless on my car since I swapped trunks for a wing. I was going to buy another gloss black one but the shipping was $15 so I didn't buy it. lol
Attached Images

Not Sure212.50
      12-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #20
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

My car has no badges. The competition package and potential badge was negated when I put different wheels and coilovers on the car anyway, cause that’s all the competition package is... slightly wider than stock wheels and EDC with special tuning...
People who know it’s an M will know it’s an M. And I love clean cars/lines.
I had a Laramie Longhorn Dodge Ram two vehicles ago, and it had the most obnoxious badging ever. After that I swore no more badges on anything I own.
But if it floats your boat... go for it.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
DRLane3969.50
      12-10-2019, 11:12 PM   #21
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I've got "zeng-ya" on the back of mine, which means "supercharged" in Chinese.
      12-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #22
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

No badge would be better

a) there are like 50 other M3 badges on the car
b) it's cheaper
c) it's lighter
d) it's easier to clean instead of dealing with all those f5!@#$^ing crevices around the badge
e) can't identify you accurately during your cannonball run

I debadged my Tundra the weekend after I got it. A badge for which engine it has, on each side, the size of my hand, with a bunch of marketing bogus on it? Gone-fishing lined. Bedside TRD OFF ROAD 4X4 HURR DURR WHEEL AND SHOCK AND PLASTIC SKID PLATE PACKAGE stickers the size of my head, heat-gunned. SR5 badges, twice as big as the M3 badges that come on our cars, on each door for some reason? Gone. I suppose now people might not know I have cloth seats unless they look inside. Wish I could have the $5 or whatever TOyota spent on those badges taken off the purchase price. Its' ridiculous. It STILL says Tundra on it in 3 places now. And Toyota in two places. That's still too much but Tundra is a cool vehicle name and the Toyota badging is molded-in so I'm sortof stuck with it.

tl;dr - badges are consumerism and marketing gobbledegook run amok wake up sheeple

Last edited by Richbot; 12-11-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 3
Bartledoo2690.00
roastbeef11574.50