BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

11-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy9 View Post
I live in a big city and don't have a good area at my apartment to wash my M3 regularly. Any suggestions on the best way to wipe the dust off and do other touch-ups between full washes? Obviously I don't want to just grind the dust into the paint by wiping it with a dry towel.
I would use either opti-clean and/or optimum no rinse (onr) and some very plush microfiber towels.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #24
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Lax View Post
I would use either opti-clean and/or optimum no rinse (onr) and some very plush microfiber towels.
+1 but ONR is more cost effective and it smells better
      12-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #25
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Anyone interested in a helpful solution please PM me!

Anyone with a white car has no reference for keeping dust off your car... those of us with dark colors know the meaning of dust!

Anyways, what's so secret about your tip that we have to PM you and you can't just post it???

For what it's worth, what I found works well is a California car duster. Just make sure to use it very lightly. Hold the duster above the paint surface so there is no pressure, just the weight of the yarn of the duster on the paint. The duster picks up the dust and leaves your paint clean. I have found that if you use it carefully, the duster leaves no scratches on our delicate finish and will extend the length of time between washes, which in turn will extend your time between detailing.

I'm sure that there are some experts that will poo-poo the duster, but I see it all the time at concourse events. You just need to use it very lightly. It is not for "dry" washing. If you car is dirty, then wash it.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
Anyone with a white car has no reference for keeping dust off your car... those of us with dark colors know the meaning of dust!

Anyways, what's so secret about your tip that we have to PM you and you can't just post it???

For what it's worth, what I found works well is a California car duster. Just make sure to use it very lightly. Hold the duster above the paint surface so there is no pressure, just the weight of the yarn of the duster on the paint. The duster picks up the dust and leaves your paint clean. I have found that if you use it carefully, the duster leaves no scratches on our delicate finish and will extend the length of time between washes, which in turn will extend your time between detailing.

I'm sure that there are some experts that will poo-poo the duster, but I see it all the time at concourse events. You just need to use it very lightly. It is not for "dry" washing. If you car is dirty, then wash it.
PM me for details and it's not just for white cars. Please don't be so quick to judge based on one of the cars I own happens to be white. I own more than one car and have owned several that have been black too, so I can speak from experience.

Regarding your California car duster, I don't think there is anything wrong with using it how you have described for light dust that may be on the car.

GTS
Appreciate 0