BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

11-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

how many of owner have rod bearing fail or replaced?

Just wondering how many s65 involved rod bearing failure or replaced? Also,pls list mileage when do fail or replaced rod bearing.
      11-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

My E90 M3 is still relatively new to me. Purchased since last winter and i only did oil change once with a short OCI of around 5k km. The UOA that i did came back not too good, around 6ppm of lead, no copper.

Since it was such a short OCI, 6ppm actually seemed high when people down south get less than that with close to 7-10k MILES OCIs. I am storing the M3 for the winter and will be changing the oil again and sending it in to see the results again. This time i am on the oil for 7k km. If all looks bad, then i will change my bearings as a preventative maintenance.

My E90 M3 is at around 107k km right now. I do not track and do not drive too aggressively. Should be on original bearings according to service records.
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
My E90 M3 is still relatively new to me. Purchased since last winter and i only did oil change once with a short OCI of around 5k km. The UOA that i did came back not too good, around 6ppm of lead, no copper.

Since it was such a short OCI, 6ppm actually seemed high when people down south get less than that with close to 7-10k MILES OCIs. I am storing the M3 for the winter and will be changing the oil again and sending it in to see the results again. This time i am on the oil for 7k km. If all looks bad, then i will change my bearings as a preventative maintenance.

My E90 M3 is at around 107k km right now. I do not track and do not drive too aggressively. Should be on original bearings according to service records.
6 ppm lead isn't too bad. No copper is even better. I wouldn't worry personally.

To the op, we already have a very long thread detailing what you know. s65 bearing failure registry.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
6 ppm lead isn't too bad. No copper is even better. I wouldn't worry personally.

To the op, we already have a very long thread detailing what you know. s65 bearing failure registry.
But that's 6ppm on around 3k miles only... so that worries me a little. As mentioned, will see the next UOA and see. Eventhough blackstone report doesn't necessarily help predict when the bearings are going to fail, but it is definitely a good indicator to wear... so i'll keep an eye out.

Planning to do my bearings sometime next year or year after latest. Engine at approx 60k miles isn't exactly high mileage, but isnt low either...
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But that's 6ppm on around 3k miles only... so that worries me a little. As mentioned, will see the next UOA and see. Eventhough blackstone report doesn't necessarily help predict when the bearings are going to fail, but it is definitely a good indicator to wear... so i'll keep an eye out.

Planning to do my bearings sometime next year or year after latest. Engine at approx 60k miles isn't exactly high mileage, but isnt low either...
Still not worrisome IMO. I had 12 ppm lead at 1200 miles on the oil and also 8 ppm copper so I changed my bearings, and while they looked pretty rough, I don't think there was imminent danger. You don't have any copper, which is the most important metal on the test. Everyone looks at lead, but it's a soft metal made to take a bit of abuse. Every engine will shed some lead from the bearings. If you're not into the copper at all, you should be fine.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 11-03-2015 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

So what's high of lead and copper?and if healthy bearing suppose to be zero on reading for analysis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post

I did read the thread for bearing issue.and I just want to know how many local or Canadian car has this issue.was talked to dealer sa about this issue and they said not too much case
They have seen so far.
      11-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
hotbmwfan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92

I get my oil changed every 3,000km or so at the dealer. Got a Blackstone report on my car last month after getting an oil change and it came back with 1ppm lead and no copper. I realize that changing the oil more frequently will not allow the lead/copper concentrations to build up, but as long as there is no copper, I figure that I am safe. My car has 33,000km on it now. I know of one 2009 M3 in town that had his engine fail due to rod bearing failure. It cost him about $5,000 to get the engine replaced by BMW as they agreed to pay most of the cost. Unfortunately, this freaked him out and he ended up selling the car.
2010 M3 "Edition" model - Monte Carlo Blue/black, (1 of 13) MODS;255/35/19 and 285/30/19 Michelin PSS, Volk G25 wheels, MC V2 GTS lip, Eventuri plenum/intake/airbox lid, M Performance exhaust/spoiler/steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #8
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah gon View Post
So what's high of lead and copper?and if healthy bearing suppose to be zero on reading for analysis?

I did read the thread for bearing issue.and I just want to know how many local or Canadian car has this issue.was talked to dealer sa about this issue and they said not too much case
They have seen so far.
I personally have never seen a uoa on lead babbitt bearings with 0 ppm. The lead is there as a safety barrier between crank journal and harder metals of the bearing. Anytime there is any crank/bearing contact (like during very cold starts, detonation, etc) some lead is going to shed. Unless you are getting 20+ ppm I would not let it worry you. Copper is the real key. Keep doing oil analysis and enjoy the car.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 11-03-2015 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 12:50 AM   #9
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep

So.....How much around for rod bearing replace?
      11-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep

2500 at most Inc parts
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Remember Doc Oc is quoting for US rates... unfortunately for us, as Canadians including currency exchange i have gotten quotes of close to $4k... best to buy the bearings ourselves and get a reputable indy to get it done.

Let me know if you ever get it replaced at where and for how much! Thanks! cheers!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Remember Doc Oc is quoting for US rates... unfortunately for us, as Canadians including currency exchange i have gotten quotes of close to $4k... best to buy the bearings ourselves and get a reputable indy to get it done.

Let me know if you ever get it replaced at where and for how much! Thanks! cheers!
Where u got the quote from? And what brand of bearings n bolts u suggest?
      11-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #13
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Where u got the quote from? And what brand of bearings n bolts u suggest?

I had my bearing done at a nearby shop with approximately 47,000KMS on the clock. Believe billable book time is @10 hours for the job but I had each bearing plasti-guaged and was out the door at 11.5 hours.

As another member mentioned it is best to source the parts.
Went with WPC surface treated rod bearings (was best option at the time) with ARP Rod Bolts and a new oil pan gasket.

Next time I will use the re-sized bearings that are now available and do the damn dipstick mod
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #14
M3@Apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

Cidle, which shop was this and what was their hourly wage?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3@Apex View Post
Cidle, which shop was this and what was their hourly wage?
M3@Apex: RG Racing and shop rate is $95
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #16
M3@Apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

^^ That's actually a really reasonable cost to replace rod bearings. I guess when it's time for me to do it, if the rates in Calgary are astronomical, I'll have the work done in Vancouver.

Did they do a reasonable job? How long did it take?

2008 M3 Sedan 6MT || Project Technik
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3@Apex View Post
^^ That's actually a really reasonable cost to replace rod bearings. I guess when it's time for me to do it, if the rates in Calgary are astronomical, I'll have the work done in Vancouver.

Did they do a reasonable job? How long did it take?
Those guys been working on my cars for decades wouldn't go any place else. Outstanding crew. Disassembled late afternoon to drip dry overnight, completed the next day at closing.

Last edited by Cidle; 11-08-2015 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #18
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidle323 View Post
I had my bearing done at a nearby shop with approximately 47,000KMS on the clock. Believe billable book time is @10 hours for the job but I had each bearing plasti-guaged and was out the door at 11.5 hours.

As another member mentioned it is best to source the parts.
Went with WPC surface treated rod bearings (was best option at the time) with ARP Rod Bolts and a new oil pan gasket.

Next time I will use the re-sized bearings that are now available and do the damn dipstick mod
did u had the car new or used?bad rod bearing happen will it related to driving pattern?.... like rev high rpm when drive with low oil temperature.
if crank damaged,suppose to polish the crank?if so the diameter of crank will smaller and new rod thickness will good fit for it and will need to use different engine oil for new rod?....im not the expert so sometime is really piss me off what parts should order and how much cost for repair,also worry about the "new" re-sized bearing will it have any problem later since they still new released.
      11-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #19
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
did u had the car new or used?bad rod bearing happen will it related to driving pattern?.... like rev high rpm when drive with low oil temperature.
if crank damaged,suppose to polish the crank?if so the diameter of crank will smaller and new rod thickness will good fit for it and will need to use different engine oil for new rod?....im not the expert so sometime is really piss me off what parts should order and how much cost for repair,also worry about the "new" re-sized bearing will it have any problem later since they still new released.
I purchased the car used with @17,000 KMS on it. The tune was not quite right and took a few tunes, time and many KMS to get it right, so I had the rod bearings swapped out for piece of mind, not due to anything else.

My crank bearing journals looked great, the job was a simple re&re. Not sure what over-sized bearings are available if the crank is damaged, one thing is for sure that a micro polishing will not help if that is the case.
Appreciate 0