BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

10-03-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Broken Idle Control Valve connector

So while replacing the fuel breather valve and plugs last night I noticed that the idle control valve hose (big one on the back of the plenum) had cracked. Not sure if due to the previous owner or just plastic fatigue.

The hose is barely in there and I suspect this is what's causing my slightly floppy idle.

The rest of the hose looked fine, so before I spend $150 on a new hose wondering if anyone had any ideas. I don't know if there's any easier way to replace just the plastic connector rather than the whole assembly or some other clamp I can't think of.

This is the part, you can see how once the outer plastic ring cracks there's only one tooth holding it in. Annoyed I discovered this 2 days after FCP Euro ended their 10% off sale.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/13417839097/
      10-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

This shows the busted connector and that it only is hanging in there by a thread and it's own stiffness.
Attached Images

10-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
This shows the busted connector and that it only is hanging in there by a thread and it's own stiffness.
I have an extra one if interested.
      10-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Replace the hose. Fuel breather valve hose must be tight. Bad idle, gas mileage, possible stalls can happen.
      10-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Replace the hose. Fuel breather valve hose must be tight. Bad idle, gas mileage, possible stalls can happen.
Thanks, Atomic was able to help me out and send me a hose he hadn't used.

The Fuel breather seems fine and I'm pretty sure is routed underneath. I just replaced the fuel breather valve since I had 1 stall since I bought the car, although it was the very first fillup and hadn't happened since then, but it was easy/cheap enough while I was under there.

I suspect the leak is causing the bad idle though so hopefully a properly sealing hose will fix that.
      10-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Thanks, Atomic was able to help me out and send me a hose he hadn't used.

The Fuel breather seems fine and I'm pretty sure is routed underneath. I just replaced the fuel breather valve since I had 1 stall since I bought the car, although it was the very first fillup and hadn't happened since then, but it was easy/cheap enough while I was under there.

I suspect the leak is causing the bad idle though so hopefully a properly sealing hose will fix that.
100% any leaks will cause a problem. I just replaced my valve and rear hose because I couldn't get the old one to release. All my issues went away and I couldn't be happier. I had shitty idle randomly but especially after fill ups. I also had some stalls at red lights. All gone now
      10-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
So while replacing the fuel breather valve and plugs last night I noticed that the idle control valve hose (big one on the back of the plenum) had cracked. Not sure if due to the previous owner or just plastic fatigue.

The hose is barely in there and I suspect this is what's causing my slightly floppy idle.

The rest of the hose looked fine, so before I spend $150 on a new hose wondering if anyone had any ideas. I don't know if there's any easier way to replace just the plastic connector rather than the whole assembly or some other clamp I can't think of.

This is the part, you can see how once the outer plastic ring cracks there's only one tooth holding it in. Annoyed I discovered this 2 days after FCP Euro ended their 10% off sale.

If you leave stuff in your basket after a day or two they will email you a 5% off code. Not a common failure as far as I know, so probably won't need a free replacement from FCP, just get it where you get the best price.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

If you leave stuff in your basket after a day or two they will email you a 5% off code. Not a common failure as far as I know, so probably won't need a free replacement from FCP, just get it where you get the best price.
Good to know. I wound up getting a used hose from the forum. Turns out the dealer must've serviced the control valve for the old owner and installed the hose upside down. That's why the old one broke. I tried to copy the orientation and It was impossible. Flipped the hose 180 and presto. 3 hours to dick around trying to squeeze it on and only 60 min to flip it and get everything back together.

Car seems to idle fine now will keep an eye on it as I drive more.
      10-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #9
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Good to know. I wound up getting a used hose from the forum. Turns out the dealer must've serviced the control valve for the old owner and installed the hose upside down. That's why the old one broke. I tried to copy the orientation and It was impossible. Flipped the hose 180 and presto. 3 hours to dick around trying to squeeze it on and only 60 min to flip it and get everything back together.

Car seems to idle fine now will keep an eye on it as I drive more.
Did you find with the hose flipped you gained some additional length where it connects to the back of the plenum?
      10-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Did you find with the hose flipped you gained some additional length where it connects to the back of the plenum?
Yes, with the hose flipped around it lined up no problem and I had sufficient room to stick the plenum on top, get my hand in and give it one good push to snap on, there was no resistance coming back from the hose like there was before.

I looked through my old service records and saw they recommended the PO do a secondary air pump service at one point, so I'm thinking they must have flipped it while poking around in there.
DRLane3968.00
      10-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Yes, with the hose flipped around it lined up no problem and I had sufficient room to stick the plenum on top, get my hand in and give it one good push to snap on, there was no resistance coming back from the hose like there was before.

I looked through my old service records and saw they recommended the PO do a secondary air pump service at one point, so I'm thinking they must have flipped it while poking around in there.
Thanks! The PO on mine had the ICV replaced at 16k miles. Car is at 44k miles now and I've been getting the 2B0D somewhat frequently. Seems like a short interval for changing the part. My guess is vacuum leak due to the hose being installed incorrectly as the tension on the hose is really significant where it connects to the plenum.

The code only triggers when coming off a stoplight.