BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
alzika
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

How to tell if I have DINAN Engine and DCT software?

I recently just purchased my third e92 M3 after the previous two were met with unfortunate accidents, neither of which were my fault.

I found out looking through the past records of service history for the new car that it says it had the DINAN DCT and Engine tunes installed back in 2015, however, the car was just purchased from a BMW dealership.

They were completely unaware of the software mods and I'm concerned that one or both of the tunes may have been flashed over sometime before I purchased the car.

Is there an easy way to tell if I have these tunes installed without going to the dealership and having to pay them labor fees to check for me?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

When you start the car and begin to drive, how many times do you have to push the dct stick to the right to get to "D1"?

Once - you have a DCT tune
Twice - you don't have a DCT tune
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
alzika
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
When you start the car and begin to drive, how many times do you have to push the dct stick to the right to get to "D1"?

I start the car, and press to the right once; it goes to "1". I press to the right again, it goes to "D1". So, the DCT tune is NOT installed?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
alzika
Rep

And to be certain, that's for the DINAN tune, correct?

I am already pissed off enough at this dealership for shady shit they did to me in selling the car, including raising my interest rate after I had already taken the car home and installed some modifications on it from one of my prior M3s that I had saved post-accidents.

That's on top of a $2500 warranty they added that I never asked for and I have multiple documents signed where it was not there when myself and the sales person initially signed it, but it mysteriously appeared later without me noticing.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzika View Post
I start the car, and press to the right once; it goes to "1". I press to the right again, it goes to "D1". So, the DCT tune is NOT installed?
Correct. You don't have a DCT tune. Regardless of "brand", Dinan, ESS, Alpine etc. all DCT tunes will go into D1 by pressing right once.

Sorry to hear about your other stuff with the financing and warranty add-on.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
alzika
Rep

Quote:
Correct. You don't have a DCT tune. Regardless of "brand", Dinan, ESS, Alpine etc. all DCT tunes will go into D1 by pressing right once.

Sorry to hear about your other stuff with the financing and warranty add-on.
What about the engine tune? Any way to test that easily?

I'm VERY pissed after hearing this, because I SPECIFICALLY asked the service advisor on the date I got the car via their text system (that lets me text service advisors), I asked him directly: "are you sure that you checked to verify that the DCT and engine tunes were actually installed and NOT just listed in DINAN's registry as having been previously installed? I just want to make sure they were not flashed over."

The service advisor never responded back to me. Only reason I asked is because the car didn't feel like my prior M3 that had both of the tunes installed.

I'm going to call DINAN and give them the last 7 of my VIN on Monday just to be sure the papers saying the tunes were installed is not fake, and then try to get them reflashed. DINAN provides that at any time for free, correct? I'm assuming the damn dealership is going to charge me labor for it, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Does that dealership provide Dinan tunes? If so why would they charge you? Cancel the warranty if you don't want it. Call around and get financing somewhere else at a lower rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
alzika
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Does that dealership provide Dinan tunes? If so why would they charge you? Cancel the warranty if you don't want it. Call around and get financing somewhere else at a lower rate.
Yes, they are an authorized DINAN dealer, or whatever. I already cancelled the extra warranty and it was put towards the principal of the loan.

Also already shopping around for a better interest rate. It's not even the interest rate itself that bothers me, it's the fact that it was raised on me three weeks after I had already had the car; I was told to come in and sign some paperwork that the finance dude "forgot" to have me sign, and imagine my shock when I come in and they are increasing my interest rate out of nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
TrickTizzle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Are you sure?

My car has Dinan DCT and ECU tune, but it doesn't behave that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:07 AM   #10
alzika
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Are you sure?

My car has Dinan DCT and ECU tune, but it doesn't behave that way.
Now I'm confused; can someone else chime in on this as well? I already contacted the dealership, upset about this issue as well, going off the info I was told, so I hope the way the first person who responded was accurate in his info.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

In stock form when you put it into gear it will start in S mode. Tunes default to D mode. Much better to start in D that way if you have the car valet or someone else has to drive it they won't be stuck in first gear. You do not have a DCT tune.

As far as the ECU tune, do you still have cold start?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:19 AM   #12
alzika
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
In stock form when you put it into gear it will start in S mode. Tunes default to D mode. Much better to start in D that way if you have the car valet or someone else has to drive it they won't be stuck in first gear. You do not have a DCT tune.

As far as the ECU tune, do you still have cold start?
Yes, I have the cold start. I'm fairly certain the Dinan stuff doesn't affect that, to my knowledge.

I just took the car for a drive and let it hit the rev limiter in 1st gear; it seems to do this right at 8400. The Dinan software is supposed to have raised that to 8600 RPM, correct?

Just want to verify that everything I'm being told here is true regarding the DCT software (SPECIFIC TO DINAN; NOT ALL TUNES)...and that if i'm hitting the redline at 8,400 RPM, it means the engine tune is not installed either, correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 05:59 AM   #13
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Dinan has the Vin Registered, if it’s tuned. Your Dinan authorized dealership should be able to help you..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      07-31-2018, 06:34 AM   #14
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
Dinan has the Vin Registered, if it's tuned. Your Dinan authorized dealership should be able to help you..
This.

Rev limiter and cold start are only part of the story. Meaning, rev limiter does NOT have to be raised and cold start does not have to be deleted when adding a Dinan tune. Do what Tom says and if they can't find your vin then either order a Dinan tune (I wouldn't due to low HP and TQ) or find another tuner.
Appreciate 0