BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
cgoldie187
Private First Class
57
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (0)

Angry So I got a ticket for having a “modded exhaust”

Which it of course totally is. Lol.

Cop just came up out of no where on his bike and only reason for stop was loud exhaust.

I have just an OEM mod 4 pipe. Anyone else receive this violation in LOs Angeles? He said I have to take it to the referee. Thinking of just borrowing a stock muffler and swapping it out for the test, I don’t care about the fine I just don’t know if this will put points on my license/make insurance rates go up, and of course if I can beat it by swapping the muffler I would love to save the cash.

If anyone has experience with this violation (27151) I would love to hear how you went about it. Thanks!

Last edited by cgoldie187; 07-11-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
4239
Rep
8,348
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

It's not a moving violation. Simply a fix-it. Swap, see the ref, and get it signed off.
__________________
Appreciate 1
dparm1783.00

      07-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
17251
Rep
10,292
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
Which it of course totally is. Lol.

Cop just came up out of no where on his bike and only reason for stop was loud exhaust.

I have just an OEM mod 4 pipe. Anyone else receive this violation in LOs Angeles? He said I have to take it to the referee. Thinking of just borrowing a stock muffler and swapping it out for the test, I don’t care about the fine I just don’t know if this will put points on my license/make insurance rates go up, and of course if I can beat it by swapping the muffler I would love to save the cash.

If anyone has experience with this violation (27151) I would love to hear how you went about it. Thanks!
Just take the car to the damn referee . He/She will measure your exhaust noise with a DB (decibel) meter .
I'm pretty sure the Oem.exhaust mod. is NOT too loud .
How loud do you think a Ferrari or Lambo sounds at 8K + rpm's ?

#copsreallysuck !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #4
cgoldie187
Private First Class
57
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
It's not a moving violation. Simply a fix-it. Swap, see the ref, and get it signed off.
Got it. Thanks for that. I misread somewhere it gave points.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
cgoldie187
Private First Class
57
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Just take the car to the damn referee . He/She will measure your exhaust noise with a DB (decibel) meter .
I'm pretty sure the Oem.exhaust mod. is NOT too loud .
How loud do you think a Ferrari or Lambo sounds at 8K + rpm's ?

#copsreallysuck !
Hahahah true! I think they just do a standstill rev at like 5k. I still think it may be over 95db tho, its really loud lmao
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
17251
Rep
10,292
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
Hahahah true! I think they just do a standstill rev at like 5k. I still think it may be over 95db tho, its really loud lmao
Negative . The Oem.exhaust mod . was measured with a DB meter.

At idle => 74 DB.
Full throttle => 93 DB.

Check the *93 DB* at 9:20 (full throttle) with the Oem. exhaust mod .

__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
cgoldie187
Private First Class
57
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Negative . The Oem.exhaust mod . was measured with a DB meter.

At idle => 74 DB.
Full throttle => 93 DB.

Check the *93 DB* at 9:20 (full throttle) with the Oem. exhaust mod .

I just samedayed a DB meter from amazon. will post results tonight
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
17251
Rep
10,292
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
I just samedayed a DB meter from amazon. will post results tonight
DB App on smartphone works 2 => https://www.healthyhearing.com/repor...e-noise-levels
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
Mr. BMW
Major
Mr. BMW's Avatar
144
Rep
1,262
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Can't you just tell them its stock? How will they know if/what the OEM mod is?
You can't see the cuts in the muffler from looking under the car, can you?

Oh, and you couldn't out run a cop on a bike with an M3?
__________________
12 M3 Interlagos Blue/Black
18 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Yeah, it's got a HEMI)
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
01 330ci Orient Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #10
jdamore
Captain
jdamore's Avatar
312
Rep
737
Posts

Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

i would hardly trust an iphone as much as an actual SPL meter. Specially when you are so close to 95db. A phone doesn't have a full range microphone. I've always been curious about this so, a side-by-side comparison would be good.

How much is the ticket? If you see the referee and its under 95db, the ticket is thrown out?
__________________
-- 08 JB e92 6MT M3 // ESS VT2-625 // AA catless mid // Forgestar CF5V // JBSPEED splitters // Forcewerkz skirts // MMI w/AndroidPC // lci tails --
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
cgoldie187
Private First Class
57
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
i would hardly trust an iphone as much as an actual SPL meter. Specially when you are so close to 95db. A phone doesn't have a full range microphone. I've always been curious about this so, a side-by-side comparison would be good.

How much is the ticket? If you see the referee and its under 95db, the ticket is thrown out?
Yes its just $125 for the sound test and the ticket is dismissed. hoping thatll work out
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
cgoldie187
Private First Class
57
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
Can't you just tell them its stock? How will they know if/what the OEM mod is?
You can't see the cuts in the muffler from looking under the car, can you?

Oh, and you couldn't out run a cop on a bike with an M3?
I told him it was, and he even agreed my muffler was stock but listen to this bullshit

"yea your muffler looks stock but i dont know what you got going on between the engine and the muffler"

defund CHP. useless.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #13
kimiraikkonen
Second Lieutenant
Finland
100
Rep
290
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
I told him it was, and he even agreed my muffler was stock but listen to this bullshit

"yea your muffler looks stock but i dont know what you got going on between the engine and the muffler"

defund CHP. useless.
The cop must be watching too many Vehicle Virgin videos where they are straight piping cars. lol

I agree, what a waste of taxpayer money.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
jdamore
Captain
jdamore's Avatar
312
Rep
737
Posts

Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
I told him it was, and he even agreed my muffler was stock but listen to this bullshit

"yea your muffler looks stock but i dont know what you got going on between the engine and the muffler"

defund CHP. useless.
lol next time just be honest with the cop.. tell him its modified and that it's close but it is under the 95db.
__________________
-- 08 JB e92 6MT M3 // ESS VT2-625 // AA catless mid // Forgestar CF5V // JBSPEED splitters // Forcewerkz skirts // MMI w/AndroidPC // lci tails --
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
Mr. BMW
Major
Mr. BMW's Avatar
144
Rep
1,262
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
I told him it was, and he even agreed my muffler was stock but listen to this bullshit

"yea your muffler looks stock but i dont know what you got going on between the engine and the muffler"

defund CHP. useless.
I would get your car on a lift and take some pics and then try to find some pics of the factory exhaust. Bring them to the "referee" (whatever that is) and tell him to tell you what the problem is...
__________________
12 M3 Interlagos Blue/Black
18 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Yeah, it's got a HEMI)
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
01 330ci Orient Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #16
cgoldie187
Private First Class
57
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
I would get your car on a lift and take some pics and then try to find some pics of the factory exhaust. Bring them to the "referee" (whatever that is) and tell him to tell you what the problem is...
Theres nothing I can do, the test is mandatory. Theres no talking out of it, gotta get a report that shows I'm either over or under, no visual inspection is accepted either. theyre strict with it.

just gonna wait to see how much the fine is then make a plan from there.

the cop didnt have a DB device on him so no test could be done on the spot, and i think the state referee is the only one authorized to do the test.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #17
///M3-=FiN=-
Private
United_States
30
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

There shouldn't be a fine. All you need to do is have it signed off.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #18
codinge90
Captain
codinge90's Avatar
200
Rep
646
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Wait so you got a State Ref ticket? And for the people asking about the charge, in California the officer can either write a fix it ticket or a fine violation for exhaust. I got one in Newport and it was a $220 fine. But I never had to get it tested.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #19
cgoldie187
Private First Class
57
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Wait so you got a State Ref ticket? And for the people asking about the charge, in California the officer can either write a fix it ticket or a fine violation for exhaust. I got one in Newport and it was a $220 fine. But I never had to get it tested.
Yea its uncorrectable meaning I have to either go in or pay the fine. if its a small fine ill just pay it, but if its worth going thru the hassle to fight it i will. no points on license by just paying the fine right?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #20
codinge90
Captain
codinge90's Avatar
200
Rep
646
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Wait so you got a State Ref ticket? And for the people asking about the charge, in California the officer can either write a fix it ticket or a fine violation for exhaust. I got one in Newport and it was a $220 fine. But I never had to get it tested.
Yea its uncorrectable meaning I have to either go in or pay the fine. if its a small fine ill just pay it, but if its worth going thru the hassle to fight it i will. no points on license by just paying the fine right?
Yeah no points. But if it's just an uncorrectable fine why do you need to go to a ref to get the exhaust checked? It just carries a fine that you'll receive in the mail.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #21
Transfer
Brigadier General
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
1202
Rep
3,371
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, B9 SQ5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (1)

This is hilarious. NWA said it best...
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #22
TheRussski
Second Lieutenant
TheRussski's Avatar
83
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SD

iTrader: (0)

Did you get a ticket in Newport or Laguna beach?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST