BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
Leglessracing
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Import fees help

hi guys,
I'm trying to find some info out and not a lot of people can help me.
I need to ship some stuff to the USA at a large value (£25,000)
I've been told that in some states that import fees will need to be paid
Does anything know if there is anywhere that does not pay import fees on large values?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Leglessracing
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and the shipment will be on a commercial invoice too
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

You should contact Mickey Munday. He'll get you squared away.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Leglessracing
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
You should contact Mickey Munday. He'll get you squared away.
Do you have a user name for him?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Just say it's bank documents
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Where is the end destination. US is big. East coast, south, west coast, etc. New Hampshire doesn't really tax anything, Pennsylvania is similar. I'm sure there are a lot of states that are the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
Leglessracing
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
Where is the end destination. US is big. East coast, south, west coast, etc. New Hampshire doesn't really tax anything, Pennsylvania is similar. I'm sure there are a lot of states that are the same.
There isn't a end destination at the moment, trying to work around things to see how I can save on import fees! Got to find a way of getting it to the USA at minimal costs
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #8
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Also, what is it? For example, while I would NEVER do this, sometimes with a watch, people simply fly and get them and wear them home, as it is cheaper than paying the import duties and taxes. Of course, that would be illegal and (for whomever would do such a thing) risky. The Swiss airport people sort of know what they are looking for. In other words, if you are wearing a watch, best to check the bag with the box and papers in them. I assure you, they know what a nice watch box looks like on backscatter or Xray! Heh.
MKSixer34184.50
      08-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
sarcastrix
Wallander
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
The Swiss airport people sort of know what they are looking for. In other words, if you are wearing a watch, best to check the bag with the box and papers in them. I assure you, they know what a nice watch box looks like on backscatter or Xray! Heh.
Allegedly no one would consider shipping the watch or camera packaging separately to avoid detection
jtodd_fl6703.50
      08-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #10
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
Also, what is it? For example, while I would NEVER do this, sometimes with a watch, people simply fly and get them and wear them home, as it is cheaper than paying the import duties and taxes. Of course, that would be illegal and (for whomever would do such a thing) risky. The Swiss airport people sort of know what they are looking for. In other words, if you are wearing a watch, best to check the bag with the box and papers in them. I assure you, they know what a nice watch box looks like on backscatter or Xray! Heh.
That's wild. The fact that someone who can afford to buy a watch so expensive that the taxes are significant enough to risk cheating customs would actually attempt it makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #11
Leglessracing
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's car electronic, loom, ecu etc. So nothing easy to transport about like a watch
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #12
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_
Quote:
That's wild. The fact that someone who can afford to buy a watch so expensive that the taxes are significant enough to risk cheating customs would actually attempt it makes no sense.
Sometimes it's a matter of principle... Or just values.
Appreciate 1
jtodd_fl6703.50
      08-03-2016, 02:45 AM   #13
Lucky John
Out to Lunch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Land Rover Series 2A

This is specific with few loopholes. Last time I imported a large amount of car parts it was 2.5% import duties payable to US Customs. That is straight forward but then there are ways to game the system. Were the parts made in a NAFTA zone and therefore not subject to duty? IS it parts or a whole car? Do any of them have anything to do with a truck? (by the way the answer to this is no.) Last time I imported a Land Rover as a truck, I got the 25% tariff tax rate. It was a 65 series 2a 109 with the pu cab and a canvas bed cover. I drove up to the Sumas/Langley crossing and didn't know any better.

The only state I know of where you can avoid US Customs is Arkansas. No international airport or seaports. You used to be able to drive grey market cars there that had not been through customs and get a US title without paying any duty on the car. Then since it was "inside" the US when you went to title the car no one asked for the customs paperwork. Last I heard they closed this loophole.

The problems with importing stuff to the US is all the paperwork and headaches. I imported a sauna once. I think I paid 10% duty. But fuck me, I dropped a thousand on other stuff like, a fumigation certification, overnight deliveries to/from Customs, a US Agent to post the bond, insurance, someone to receive it at the port of entry and hold it in a bonded warehouse. I would never do that again.

Twenty five grand in car parts, I'd just pay them their 2.5%, but check first and figure out what the going rate is. It is all at the US Customs website.

With that much in car parts I would think where they are landing in the US would be more important than the customs duty.

Good luck, John
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #14
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Be aware that sea shipments are subject to a bunch of crap.

For example I looked into importing some heavy equipment worth only about $1200 and they estimated over $500 in fees/customs/duty/etc.

MPF: $9.00 Informal Entries
HMF: $1.45
Single Entry Bond Min: $100
Customs Clearance: $150
ISF Fee: $100
Doc and Handling Fee: $35.00
Port Messenger Fee: $35.00
ABI transaction fee: $15.00

Plus this does not include any fees for warehousing/loading/unloading or shipping it to your destination, this was pickup at seaport.

The ISF needs to be submitted before the shipment is loaded on to the ship and you can't do this yourself. You need a bunch of ship documents, Country of Origin, Packing Slip, Bill of Landing, etc.

Granted a lot of those fees apply but probably won't go up much more other than the percentage based ones, so for a larger shipment it might be worth it.

Last edited by tdott; 08-03-2016 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Why not just inquire with US Customs ?

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export

Or maybe contact a broker who handles these types of importations. ???
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Why not just inquire with US Customs ?

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export

Or maybe contact a broker who handles these types of importations. ???
Since he is trying to avoid paying customs, I doubt speaking with the US Customs will be overly helpful. I can just see how that conversation works...

OP: "Hi there, I'd like to import something of significant value, but don't wish to pay customs on it. Could you tell me how to do this?"

US Customs agent: "Oh, absolutely - and your name again was?"

OP: ""
Appreciate 1
1LRM3516.50