BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-31-2007, 05:31 AM   #45
miopyk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 987 Boxster & R56 Cooper S

Your watch along with the cloths you wear, the car you drive the house you live in project an image that whether you like it or not others will judge you by.

Some people seem to be obsessed by this and will set out to have every "label" to project the "right" image to the outside world. However if it's done right and the person is confident enough to carry it off then nobody will say anything because it will seem perfectly natural. If it's done badly then everyone will laugh because it's funny (think the "buying designer clothes" scene in National Lampoons European Vacation).

Going back to watches. Most people have not even heard of the very expensive watches such as Vacheron Constantin or Audemars Piguet let alone knowing what one looks like so judging a person based on the watch they are wearing is a bit foolish. They could have £250K on their wrist and you might think it's a Timex.

Most mid range brands such as Rolex, Omega, Cartier are the BMW/Mercedes of the watch world so a lot more people can afford them and therefore a lot more people know what they look like. People see success through these brands and having one proves that they are successful in the same way that driving a BMW or living in a nice part of town does.

So what happens if you want to project a successful image but can't afford to? Some people by a fake watch which is fine if you tell people it's a fake if they ask. But if you buy a fake with the intention of deceiving people into believing it's real then that in my opinion brings your integrity into question.

The honest person who wants to project a successful image will work hard and buy the real thing and in doing so will by default become successful because people will see the fruits of their labour.

Strangely as some people become more successful they are less inclined to show off their wealth through well known brands and hide it by wearing clothes without labels (bespoke tailoring) and unknown watches (Vacheron Constantin) and you won't see them in a BMW or Mercedes because they fly in helicopters or are driven around in blacked out limos.

Like it or not, in today's image obsessed world this is how the cookie crumbles.

So if you've worked hard and can afford one, buy yourself a decent watch and wear it with pride. And don't knock people who wear Rolex's Omega's etc. That is inverted snobbery and is just as bad. If you buy a fake have the humility to admit it when it's spotted for what it is be cause you're only kidding yourself if you don't. If you really have to have a decent watch it's better to save your money and get the real thing. You really will feel much better about yourself.

Miopyk

Last edited by miopyk; 12-31-2007 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:34 AM   #46
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
When I went to thailand, I bought a couple Folex's(fake rolex). They look good to me and do the exact same thing the real ones do minus the $$$$ If it looks good, why not?
      12-31-2007, 07:37 AM   #47
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
no
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #48
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I see this as a problem in our society. If you cannot afford it, then don't pretend to be someone you are not by walking around with fake this and that (boobs included as well).

On a side note: How many people here believed that replica wheels are better then oem wheels? I hear stories about rims getting bend from hitting massive craters on this forum but not sure what % of those cases are from replica. Flame suite on .\

Wow, why I started this the day before new year
      12-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #49
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
I see this as a problem in our society. If you cannot afford it, then don't pretend to be someone you are not by walking around with fake this and that (boobs included as well).

On a side note: How many people here believed that replica wheels are better then oem wheels? I hear stories about rims getting bend from hitting massive craters on this forum but not sure what % of those cases are from replica. Flame suite on .\

Wow, why I started this the day before new year
Yet like someone already pointed out, people don't spend the $ on authentic car parts, do they? Everyone's ready to get replica rims and body kits. People are being hypocrites about the whole thing. Who cares? I love my $20 watch cause it does exactly what your $2000 watch does.
      12-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #50
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by miopyk View Post
Your watch along with the cloths you wear, the car you drive the house you live in project an image that whether you like it or not others will judge you by.

Some people seem to be obsessed by this and will set out to have every "label" to project the "right" image to the outside world. However if it's done right and the person is confident enough to carry it off then nobody will say anything because it will seem perfectly natural. If it's done badly then everyone will laugh because it's funny (think the "buying designer clothes" scene in National Lampoons European Vacation).

Going back to watches. Most people have not even heard of the very expensive watches such as Vacheron Constantin or Audemars Piguet let alone knowing what one looks like so judging a person based on the watch they are wearing is a bit foolish. They could have £250K on their wrist and you might think it's a Timex.

Most mid range brands such as Rolex, Omega, Cartier are the BMW/Mercedes of the watch world so a lot more people can afford them and therefore a lot more people know what they look like. People see success through these brands and having one proves that they are successful in the same way that driving a BMW or living in a nice part of town does.

So what happens if you want to project a successful image but can't afford to? Some people by a fake watch which is fine if you tell people it's a fake if they ask. But if you buy a fake with the intention of deceiving people into believing it's real then that in my opinion brings your integrity into question.

The honest person who wants to project a successful image will work hard and buy the real thing and in doing so will by default become successful because people will see the fruits of their labour.

Strangely as some people become more successful they are less inclined to show off their wealth through well known brands and hide it by wearing clothes without labels (bespoke tailoring) and unknown watches (Vacheron Constantin) and you won't see them in a BMW or Mercedes because they fly in helicopters or are driven around in blacked out limos.

Like it or not, in today's image obsessed world this is how the cookie crumbles.

So if you've worked hard and can afford one, buy yourself a decent watch and wear it with pride. And don't knock people who wear Rolex's Omega's etc. That is inverted snobbery and is just as bad. If you buy a fake have the humility to admit it when it's spotted for what it is be cause you're only kidding yourself if you don't. If you really have to have a decent watch it's better to save your money and get the real thing. You really will feel much better about yourself.

Miopyk
very well written, thanks for taking the time to make the point I wasn't willing to take the time to make!

I have a very nice "mid grade" watch at about $2k. I have custom made suits and dress shirts. My dress shoes are Alden, as are my belts. They simply look better, and when I want to project an air of professionalism, they can't be topped. I can spot a cheap suit from a mile away, and they look terrible!

But you'll never see me with a logo plastered across anything if I can help it, and when it doesn't matter, I don't spend the dough. Off the shelf is off the shelf. Don't give me the quality argument, it doesn't hold anymore. Ten - twelve years ago Abercrombie actually was quality, as was Banana Republic. But now their stuff is the same cheap shit you get at Target. So, if they're all going to fit the same, last the same amount of time and look like shit in 6 mos, I buy $20 jeans at Meijer and $15 shirts at Target and I am complemented by my fashion snob girlfriends for how good an outfit looks. Now they know, and then ask how much the outfit cost. The are always amused that it cost less then their shoes!

Funny thing, many people mistake my Seiko for a watch that is much more expensive - one idiot swore it was a $3k Rolex (it's not a replica of anything that I am aware), and others assume my TAG is a knockoff because I'm 32 yrs old (and look like im 14). Go figure.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #51
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

FWIW, I had a $80 Fossil watch for a long time with so many scratches and one day the pin that hold the metal strap finally broke. That is the end of my watch buying experience. I now rely on my cell phone for time. Yeah, a guy who drives a bmw had an $80 Fossil watch (and I wore it proudly too )
      12-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #52
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
FWIW, I had a $80 Fossil watch for a long time with so many scratches and one day the pin that hold the metal strap finally broke. That is the end of my watch buying experience. I now rely on my cell phone for time. Yeah, a guy who drives a bmw had an $80 Fossil watch (and I wore it proudly too )
+1. i think i got my Fossil on a bday or something like that... i dont even know where it is now
i can always ask "what time is it"
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:16 AM   #53
NaTuReB0Y