BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

01-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

DIY : WeissLicht PY24W LED Turn Signal Bulb

We have put together a DIY video for replacing the turn signal bulb on all M3 models and pre-LCI E92/E93 3-Series Models.

This particular video shows the installation of the WeissLicht PY24W LED Turn Signals but will also aid in a standard turn signal bulb replacement.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP 6MT Jet black E92

Help!!, I was installing my WeissLicht PY24W and the driver side turn fine, the passenger side doesnt turn at all, even after placing the OEM bulb in it. Is there a fuse blown just for the passenger side??. It was kind of a challenge to align the socket properly is there a chance that I have messed up the interior contacts?. Please share your experience. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefcole View Post
Help!!, I was installing my WeissLicht PY24W and the driver side turn fine, the passenger side doesnt turn at all, even after placing the OEM bulb in it. Is there a fuse blown just for the passenger side??. It was kind of a challenge to align the socket properly is there a chance that I have messed up the interior contacts?. Please share your experience. Thank you.
You might have broke the prongs in your headlight housing when you were trying to slide the prongs into the PY24W connector holes.

I tried this and failed miserably. First the PY24W didn't even fit on the oem base. I bruise my hand trying to twist it. Even in the video they don't even show you (sorry, but this diy isn't that great). I had to sand down the plastic on the PY24W and got it to twist in place. After that, more pain. I was never able to align the PY24W to the prongs (mad props to you to be able to do it on the drive side). I gave up and decided to put the oem bulb back in and it won't work. Car threw errors. It ended up that the prongs were bent due to me not being able to align the PY24W. It made a mark on the oem base, so I bent the prongs gently in the opposite direction and that's when the oem started to work again.

I don't recommend this aftermarket part at all unless you got more hands helping you. I just had 2, with the wheel in the way, and in total darkness (iphone flashlight .. so now I have 1 hand). I'm waiting until I get some stuff from EAS and ask them to give it a try for me.

I just hope your prongs aren't f'up because that mean you have to replace the entire headlight housing which is mad $$$.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducman View Post
First the PY24W didn't even fit on the oem base. I bruise my hand trying to twist it. Even in the video they don't even show you (sorry, but this diy isn't that great).
Yeah, that's hilarious. The video shows the guy twisting the PY24W bulb in the OEM base. It's clearly not turned as far as it should, he tries again... still doesn't turn all the way... tries a few more times appearing to strain to turn it... and video cuts away with us never seeing it turned all the way.

Too bad I found this thread after purchasing this light from **********s.com (described as "City Vision Lighting" brand but doesn't say that on the box - I'd imagine they all come off the same assembly line). I gave up trying to get one bulb to work and now can't get the OEM bulb working. I'll check the prongs/housing later when I jack up the car and take a wheel off so I can see in there better. I've done entire engine and transmission swaps but I can't replace this f#@king light bulb. Has anyone installed these without any problems?

Last edited by DavidZ; 06-27-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

any updates? would love to get rid of the egg yolk, but so many horror stories about installation for a simple blub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducman View Post
You might have broke the prongs in your headlight housing when you were trying to slide the prongs into the PY24W connector holes.

I tried this and failed miserably. First the PY24W didn't even fit on the oem base. I bruise my hand trying to twist it. Even in the video they don't even show you (sorry, but this diy isn't that great). I had to sand down the plastic on the PY24W and got it to twist in place. After that, more pain. I was never able to align the PY24W to the prongs (mad props to you to be able to do it on the drive side). I gave up and decided to put the oem bulb back in and it won't work. Car threw errors. It ended up that the prongs were bent due to me not being able to align the PY24W. It made a mark on the oem base, so I bent the prongs gently in the opposite direction and that's when the oem started to work again.

I don't recommend this aftermarket part at all unless you got more hands helping you. I just had 2, with the wheel in the way, and in total darkness (iphone flashlight .. so now I have 1 hand). I'm waiting until I get some stuff from EAS and ask them to give it a try for me.

I just hope your prongs aren't f'up because that mean you have to replace the entire headlight housing which is mad $$$.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

I did this yesterday. I bought the units from here:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/909_bmw/m.htm...id=p4340.l2562

There are various tips to make this easier.

Firstly, the unit doesn't twist by a full 45 degrees to unlock as you would imagine, it twists by approximately 15 degrees but the last couple are very tight. I used an adjustable spanner to give me some additional leverage on the lugs.

When loose, the unit slides out horizontally towards the back of the car rather than down.

When you are replacing the new units, insert them where you think they should go then check the lights using the hazard switch. If they flash, you know the connections are correct. Push the unit firmly into the light to ensure a secure fit then proceed to retighten the unit.

If you take your time, it is not too hard, just fiddly.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Furterhmore, the eBay units came in exactly the same packaging as those in the video less the WeissLicht outer sleeve so I'd guess they are exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
I did this yesterday. I bought the units from here:

There are various tips to make this easier.

Firstly, the unit doesn't twist by a full 45 degrees to unlock as you would imagine, it twists by approximately 15 degrees but the last couple are very tight. I used an adjustable spanner to give me some additional leverage on the lugs.

When loose, the unit slides out horizontally towards the back of the car rather than down.

When you are replacing the new units, insert them where you think they should go then check the lights using the hazard switch. If they flash, you know the connections are correct. Push the unit firmly into the light to ensure a secure fit then proceed to retighten the unit.

If you take your time, it is not too hard, just fiddly.

those are much better priced than the ones sold here is the US by the vendors on here...thanx for sharing the link

Last edited by geneatals; 07-24-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
gallian93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 cs/72 tii

Garage List
Ok...my install went fine....i actually pulled the wheel off...
Question!!!! how do you get rid of that stupid yellow led in the top corner of the front turn signal?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah but how did you twist it all the way onto the base?

As for your question, you'll need to get it coded to remove that corner light.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

Wow...$100 vs $31...I didn't know that the BMW tax was roughly 300%
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhat View Post
Wow...$100 vs $31...I didn't know that the BMW tax was roughly 300%
shipping is still $25, but still better than jlevi's price
      07-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I just ordered the ebay -> WeissLicht PY24W, $39 shipped

07-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Vendor = Fail

ebay +1

JLEVI -1
      07-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
the unit doesn't twist by a full 45 degrees to unlock as you would imagine, it twists by approximately 15 degrees but the last couple are very tight. I used an adjustable spanner to give me some additional leverage on the lugs.
Are you saying you didn't twist the bulb into the base as far as the OEM bulb does, or you did twist it all the way using an adjustable wrench?

Thanks
      07-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

I had to cut the inside of the clip to make it twist all the way. You need to twist it all the way or else you would have a hard time getting the light along with the base back in. Took me an hour to realize this.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had to cut the inside of the clip to make it twist all the way. You need to twist it all the way or else you would have a hard time getting the light along with the base back in. Took me an hour to realize this.
Where did you purchase yours?
      07-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Wish you had taken some pics for reference =(
      07-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #19
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
Wish you had taken some pics for reference =(
I have an extra turn signal bulb "base" so I can post up a picture of that and the LED bulb so someone hopefully circle (or something) whatever they needed to modify/cut.

Like ducman, I bent the hell out of one of the prongs inside the turn signal enclosure and, after driving around without a front left turn signal for a couple weeks, was lucky to bend it back when I finally took the wheel off to get a good look in there... the prong looks like it hanging by a thread now though.
      07-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #20
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
I have an extra turn signal bulb "base" so I can post up a picture of that and the LED bulb so someone hopefully circle (or something) whatever they needed to modify/cut.

Like ducman, I bent the hell out of one of the prongs inside the turn signal enclosure and, after driving around without a front left turn signal for a couple weeks, was lucky to bend it back when I finally took the wheel off to get a good look in there... the prong looks like it hanging by a thread now though.
Touching that area anymore and the prong will snap right off, huh?

I actually brought my car to EAS to have them install mine in and it turn out that I fucked it up by "over" shaving/sanding down one of the bulb to try and twist it on the oem base. It now twist in and out too easily. It has to be very tight. I end it up buying theirs and had them put theirs on. They look nice!! Thank you EAS!!

So I now have 1 bulb which is loose and 1 that is untouched. They are free if local wants them. You can glue the loose bulb to the base or wedge something in there to make it tight. As for the one that's untouched, good luck twisting that bitch.

Last edited by ducman; 07-26-2011 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #21
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

I purchased these "bulbs" when they were $99 (huge mistake)

Quality is HORRIBLE in my opinion. Im not a newbie and know how to install things however I just couldn't get these to work. I sanded the clip area a lot to make them even fit into the sockets. One of the bulbs even broke and feel inside my headlight. Took me ONE HOUR to take it out. Overall I gave up and it wasnt worth it. When you pay $99 for bulbs you expect a better product.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here are my (iPhone) pictures of the eBay bulbs. I just got them, so I will try putting them in Wed.
Attached Images