BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
IamFODI
Private First Class
101
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Got Öhlins R&T + front tension arm monoballs + spherical bearing camber plates?

If you have this setup, what’s your NVH like compared to stock?

Considering doing all of this myself, coming from a completely stock non-Comp non-EDC suspension. I get the impression that I should expect a bit more roughness over very sharp bumps, more road noise, and more sensitivity to tire imbalance, but otherwise ride quality should be the same or better. Is that accurate?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
Redd
Lieutenant Colonel
792
Rep
1,581
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

I have Ohlins R/T and GAS front monoballs, no camber plates. R/T rides firmer than stock, but less harsh with less NVH. Front monoballs add firmness and a tiny little bit of harshness. It's not crashy or jarring. No noise or vibration from front monoballs.

Some people report street camber plates are almost as comfortable as stock but I have not tried them.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
tdott
Colonel
1289
Rep
2,455
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South FL / 6ix

iTrader: (3)

I have driven in Ohlin cars with camber plates and stock mounts. There is a very slight increase in NVH with the camber plates.

I believe the trade off is worth it, since it's very slight and hard to notice imo. But if you were looking for the absolute most compliant setup, then stock rubber mounts are probably the way to go.

I have not driven a front tension arm monoball car, so i can't confirm the NVH there.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
dfwashere
Private First Class
dfwashere's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Francisco, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Ohlins with Swift's, Vorshlag race plates, and BW monoball bearings. No edc for me but every upgrade to as a huge improvement. Minor nvh if at all that I noticed. That's just me though lol.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
IamFODI
Private First Class
101
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwashere View Post
Ohlins with Swift's, Vorshlag race plates, and BW monoball bearings. No edc for me but every upgrade to as a huge improvement. Minor nvh if at all that I noticed. That's just me though lol.
Other than the brand of monoballs, this is the exact setup I'm looking at. Thanks for weighing in.

I feel like it's important to hear from people who have all three mods. Having the plates and monoballs together means there's no rubber left in the front suspension besides the spring isolators. Seems like a different ballgame from having one of those mods while the other location still has stock rubber, so I figured it'd be unwise to assume that the total effect would simply be the sum of what each one contributes on its own.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Redd
Lieutenant Colonel
792
Rep
1,581
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I have driven in Ohlin cars with camber plates and stock mounts. There is a very slight increase in NVH with the camber plates.

I believe the trade off is worth it, since it's very slight and hard to notice imo. But if you were looking for the absolute most compliant setup, then stock rubber mounts are probably the way to go.

I have not driven a front tension arm monoball car, so i can't confirm the NVH there.
Thanks for that. I may go with a street camber plate then.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
butte2butte
Private First Class
44
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwashere View Post
Ohlins with Swift's, Vorshlag race plates, and BW monoball bearings. No edc for me but every upgrade to as a huge improvement. Minor nvh if at all that I noticed. That's just me though lol.
This is exactly what I want for a suspension set up, except I already have the GAS monoballs.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
dfwashere
Private First Class
dfwashere's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Francisco, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFODI View Post
Other than the brand of monoballs, this is the exact setup I'm looking at. Thanks for weighing in.

I feel like it's important to hear from people who have all three mods. Having the plates and monoballs together means there's no rubber left in the front suspension besides the spring isolators. Seems like a different ballgame from having one of those mods while the other location still has stock rubber, so I figured it'd be unwise to assume that the total effect would simply be the sum of what each one contributes on its own.
It's definitely been a great setup. Been roughly 26k miles on them coilovers (2-3k on the monoballs) but it's been nothing but great. I've started to look into stiffer springs but otherwise no complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
This is exactly what I want for a suspension set up, except I already have the GAS monoballs.
I eventually went stiffer spring rates in the rear (Swift's as well). Feels great at least in my opinion so might want to consider that too if you ever feel a need to upgrade 😉.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST