BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

07-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

New to Detailing: What's the basics?

I'm gonna start washing my car at home more often now as I just did an expensive ceramic coating (bye bye automatic carwash). I've done some research and watched some videos about the two bucket system, which I'll be using...I thought I'd find a sticky thread here w the basics but didn't see it. Can someone please help me with a basic kit. What should I use for glass/windows. What should I use to clean my leather/interior (dash)? Do people not use sponges anymore to wash? Is it microfiber for everything now? Do I use the same microfiber on the paint as I do on the glass? Just hoping to some guidance. Thanks in advance. By the way, I use this microfiber for everything: https://www.microfibertech.com/Waffl...xoC2ZIQAvD_BwE
      07-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Best advice is:

Go on YouTube and watch Ammo NYC and Dallas paint correction channels...these guys will teach you everything you need to know. At the end of the day it’s upto you to decide what will work for ya and what not through trial and error and personal preference
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:28 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

obsessed garage is another good one for longer car washing videos.
      07-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
1BlackDropTop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Alpine White X3M

The basics from reading up after deciding I had the detailing bug...

Wash (two bucket method; start with the wheels, then work from the top of the car down)
Clay (if needed, and especially before any paint correction steps)
Seal (sealants come in so many variants; quick detail sprays with sealant properties, glazes, and stand alone sealants)
Wax

As for the microfibers... I use different ones for different steps along the way. Microfiber wash mit, waffle weave towels for drying, and separate MF towels for removing sealants, glazes, and waxes as well as ones for the interior.

Last edited by 1BlackDropTop; 07-09-2019 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Adding more advice
Appreciate 1
cvstar9M3281.00
      07-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
You might say I have the "bug" as well. A buddy recently asked me what to get to get started and do a ceramic coating of his car. Here is the list I gave him.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Its a pretty good starting point but also probably has some excess that you dont need starting out.

I second the call to watch AMMONYC on youtube. Larry knows his stuff and is a solid dude.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Best advice is:

Go on YouTube and watch Ammo NYC and Dallas paint correction channels...these guys will teach you everything you need to know. At the end of the day it’s upto you to decide what will work for ya and what not through trial and error and personal preference
Thanks. I'll check them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
obsessed garage is another good one for longer car washing videos.
Thanks. I think I might have seen this channel before. Perhaps a different topic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlackDropTop View Post
The basics from reading up after deciding I had the detailing bug...

Wash (two bucket method; start with the wheels, then work from the top of the car down)
Clay (if needed, and especially before any paint correction steps)
Seal (sealants come in so many variants; quick detail sprays with sealant properties, glazes, and stand alone sealants)
Wax

As for the microfibers... I use different ones for different steps along the way. Microfiber wash mit, waffle weave towels for drying, and separate MF towels for removing sealants, glazes, and waxes as well as ones for the interior.
Thanks. I'll try and find a wash mit; I have the waffle weave for drying. I won't be doing much waxing; I just need to maintain the professional ceramic coating. I did buy a spray that was recommended by the detailer: Carpro Reload. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
You might say I have the "bug" as well. A buddy recently asked me what to get to get started and do a ceramic coating of his car. Here is the list I gave him.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Its a pretty good starting point but also probably has some excess that you dont need starting out.

I second the call to watch AMMONYC on youtube. Larry knows his stuff and is a solid dude.
Thanks. I'll check out the list.
      07-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

Go on YouTube and follow Matt from Obsessed Garage
Appreciate 1
cvstar9M3281.00
      08-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
MahiC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3 ZCP Jet Black .

I would recommend the whole AMMO 100 training series for basic wash on the website. It's informative, well laid out, and concise. Main tips I can give that haven't been said already:

2 bucket method with grit guards.

Use spray wax or some lubricant when drying to avoid swirls, this really helps with a black car.

Pressure washer (nothing crazy) and foam gun are key.

It's not about the products, basic products will work just as well.

Try not resort to paint correction if you don't have to. Goal is to preserve the paint and make it look good. The more you do paint correction, the less clear coat you have, and the more susceptible your paint will be to UV damage.
Appreciate 1
cvstar9M3281.00