BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-07-2022, 05:48 AM   #1
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Thinking of an E92 - what should I pay?

I've kind of always wanted a V8.
I wanted to get a F360, but they are a bit big and the maintenance cost worries me.

So, the E92 is a great option, especially with the DCT, as it's a quite unique combo.

Before COVID, I could have bought a Melbourne red (love that colour) manual 07 with 134km for $34k
Then in the middle of COVID, a White 08 with 99km for $39k

Now, I am looking at a white 2009 105km with carbon roof for $60k
or a grey 2011 140km with sunroof for $58k

I would love an Interlagos or Melbourne Red, but there's not many out there.

I am leaning towards the white one with the carbon roof, as it's potentially a more desirable one in the future, but it's multiple owners, slightly modded and no books.
The grey one is one owner with books, but it's got a sunroof and it's grey.

Maybe I should wait until the perfect build comes up and just pay the premium at the time?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #2
avetec
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Comp, golf r mk6

The last red one that had sold was 75k, competition and had some very very nice upgrades on it. Was the best "bargain" in the last 6 months. I have been watching the E92 market for a long time, and it has been on the rise, as with most used car prices. I wish i could tell you what the future would be for car prices, but I just did what I could afford, and havent looked back. Mine however, was an E90 comp pack I ended up with.

Good luck!

Last edited by avetec; 06-07-2022 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avetec View Post
The last red one that had sold was 75k, competition and had some very very nice upgrades on it. Was the best "bargain" in the last 6 months.

Good luck!
It was a great buy, but also a great build.

There was an Interlagos E92 with 99km 6M that sold here in Adelaide on Facebook for $45 within hours of being posted - I missed out on that one by about 30min

It's not so much about being a bargain, it's about getting the right one.

How does yours compare to the Golf R?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 06:28 AM   #4
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 6MT ZCP LCI 2011

There's more E92s than E90s and there's more DCTs than manuals. So you're certainly searching for the variant that is more plentiful. You should find something in time. There hasn't been a manual E90 for sale for a long, long time.

It's amazing how many cars for sale are 2008. Buy on condition and km but if you can get a LCI from 2010 it's got a few improvements over pre-LCI. I hope you can find an Interlagos Blue or Melbourne Red as they are more interesting than the usual black, white, sliver or grey in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 06:32 AM   #5
FundedbyCrypto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 Comp

With what you are looking for the key is to have your negotiable and your non negotiable

In time the right car will come along for you, you may have to compromise and you will definitely have to wait.

I still believe LCI is the way to go as they also upgraded the rod bearings and so it's less of a requirement to have them done.

Originally I was after an e92 as well, however I ended up buying an e90, reason being it was the right car in all other aspects, it is also a comp spec, which they only ever made 116 RHD comp spec e90's globally, they sold just over 60 here in Australia (BMW Aus would not confirm the exact number).

As time goes on the good ones will continue to go up in value.

Only advise, buy one that has had the money spent on it to maintain it. full books, ideally BMW (I say this as it means they spent the money) or a reputable shop. Look for OEM or OEM plus parts and make sure the tyres are OEM orr better. If they are willing to skimp out on tires, it's likely they have cut corners else where.

Finally, remember everything on the car is still replaceable and available at BMW, though it is expensive. I have gone through the process myself. new start button, key caps, splash guards, gear knob, boot release etc.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6727.00
      06-15-2022, 07:58 AM   #6
avetec
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
It was a great buy, but also a great build.

There was an Interlagos E92 with 99km 6M that sold here in Adelaide on Facebook for $45 within hours of being posted - I missed out on that one by about 30min

It's not so much about being a bargain, it's about getting the right one.

How does yours compare to the Golf R?
completely different. The golf just didnt cut it as a "weekend car". It was almost the perfect daily to be honest, just good at everything kind of thing. The M3 is definitely special when i get in and drive it on the occasional weekend etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundedbyCrypto View Post

Originally I was after an e92 as well, however I ended up buying an e90, reason being it was the right car in all other aspects, it is also a comp spec, which they only ever made 116 RHD comp spec e90's globally, they sold just over 60 here in Australia (BMW Aus would not confirm the exact number).

oh my god, i was in the exact same boat! was dead set on the E92, but then came across the E90 that ticked almost every box.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 08:22 AM   #7
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
With what you are looking for the key is to have your negotiable and your non negotiable

In time the right car will come along for you, you may have to compromise and you will definitely have to wait.

I still believe LCI is the way to go as they also upgraded the rod bearings and so it's less of a requirement to have them done.

As time goes on the good ones will continue to go up in value.

Only advise, buy one that has had the money spent on it to maintain it. full books, ideally BMW (I say this as it means they spent the money) or a reputable shop. Look for OEM or OEM plus parts and make sure the tyres are OEM orr better. If they are willing to skimp out on tires, it's likely they have cut corners else where.

Finally, remember everything on the car is still replaceable and available at BMW, though it is expensive. I have gone through the process myself. new start button, key caps, splash guards, gear knob, boot release etc.
I agree LCI is the way to go and I'm so glad I was able to find a nice LCI. However even though LCI rod bearings are made of aluminium rather than copper, they have the same dimensions and clearances. So they are still a maintenance item but you'll be looking for silver glitter in the oil rather than copper.

I also got one of those 116 E90 comp packs. Their rarity will ensure their value will appreciate. Thanks for the info there are over 60 in Australia.

If it's the right car but you think the price is a little on the high side, it's worth paying the asking price because the value will go up.

Agree about BMW spare parts pricing. I just replaced both comfort access front door handles for $750 each!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 04:56 AM   #8
FundedbyCrypto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3_Guy View Post
I agree LCI is the way to go and I'm so glad I was able to find a nice LCI. However even though LCI rod bearings are made of aluminium rather than copper, they have the same dimensions and clearances. So they are still a maintenance item but you'll be looking for silver glitter in the oil rather than copper.

I also got one of those 116 E90 comp packs. Their rarity will ensure their value will appreciate. Thanks for the info there are over 60 in Australia.

If it's the right car but you think the price is a little on the high side, it's worth paying the asking price because the value will go up.

Agree about BMW spare parts pricing. I just replaced both comfort access front door handles for $750 each!
What colour did you get ?

Yes still a maintenance item, but less prone to catastrophic failure.

I wouldn't be too confident of the value going up unless he plans on not driving it or if it's a prime example. The series may go through another price resurgence, however the last 2 years has been a black swan event. Low KMs will always command a premium price. I do believe they will still hold their value extremely well.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 05:14 AM   #9
FundedbyCrypto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avetec View Post
completely different. The golf just didnt cut it as a "weekend car". It was almost the perfect daily to be honest, just good at everything kind of thing. The M3 is definitely special when i get in and drive it on the occasional weekend etc.

oh my god, i was in the exact same boat! was dead set on the E92, but then came across the E90 that ticked almost every box.
Seems like there is a few of us. I have seen a few e92's come and go but there has only ever been 1 that I considered and that was the Southern BM's interlagos blue build that was for sale in SYD, asking price was 75k and it sold in 30mins of listing, I was second inline to buy it if the first buyer from CBR pulled out. Southern BM built 2 interlagos blue e92's one was an OE plus build the other was an ESS supercharged 1. I believe they bought the ESS one back off the last owner.

From memory there are only 3 interlagos blue e92 m3's in Australia. 2 were bought by Southern BM as previously mentioned and 1 was sold to a QLD buyer.

I was always hoping to get a rare colour or an individual colour, but after seeing several colours in person I kept coming back to the jarez black because of it's depth. It shows of the lines and curves of the car and under light or in the sun it looks blue/purple.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 06:29 AM   #10
3mmm3
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:

Do you mind me chiming in and asking some more details about your manual zcp e90? Happy to pm if that's preferable.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:03 AM   #11
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What colour did you get ?

Yes still a maintenance item, but less prone to catastrophic failure.

I wouldn't be too confident of the value going up unless he plans on not driving it or if it's a prime example. The series may go through another price resurgence, however the last 2 years has been a black swan event. Low KMs will always command a premium price. I do believe they will still hold their value extremely well.
I got Space Grey with black interior. Could have been worse. I saw a few exterior/interior colour combinations that didn't really work in my opinion. I won't mention them in case I offend someone! Would have loved an individual colour but I've only seen them in E92s. My favourite colour is Santorini Blue.

Last edited by E90M3_Guy; 06-18-2022 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:10 AM   #12
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mmm3 View Post
Do you mind me chiming in and asking some more details about your manual zcp e90? Happy to pm if that's preferable.
What details do you want?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #13
DaveSA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 AT

I picked mine up Aug 2020 (white with carbon roof front/rear spoilers, also has faux carbon fibre side rear-view covers). 65,000 on the clock, paid $50K.

I've since added a a few cosmetic updates:
  • Bonnet intakes now glass black
  • Black gloss grills
  • LED running lights

Intake filter updated.

Aside from that it's 100% stock.

I did have to replace the actuators, the right bank went around 80K. I replaced both ($4.5K).

89K on clock.

If I was selling it, wouldn't take any less than 70K for it, now.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 03:45 AM   #14
3mmm3
Rep

Quote:
What details do you want?
Just a bit more about the car (i understand its a manual?) and where/when you got it etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 03:46 AM   #15
3mmm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSA View Post
I picked mine up Aug 2020 (white with carbon roof front/rear spoilers, also has faux carbon fibre side rear-view covers). 65,000 on the clock, paid $50K.

I've since added a a few cosmetic updates:
  • Bonnet intakes now glass black
  • Black gloss grills
  • LED running lights

Intake filter updated.

Aside from that it's 100% stock.

I did have to replace the actuators, the right bank went around 80K. I replaced both ($4.5K).

89K on clock.

If I was selling it, wouldn't take any less than 70K for it, now.
Honestly unless its a late model manual (and even then i'm not convinced) you're not going to be getting anywhere near that in the current market.
Good thing you're not planning to sell
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 07:21 AM   #16
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly unless its a late model manual (and even then i'm not convinced) you're not going to be getting anywhere near that in the current market.
Not so sure...
Hard to get a good one with low km's under $70k
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 07:30 PM   #17
FundedbyCrypto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it will fly out of his garage at that price, but I do believe someone will pick it up eventually. Also it's a smaller market over there in SA. A local buyer may not even consider an interstate purchase.

If it was the combination I was looking to buy I would over pay (not saying you are in this case) to get what I wanted. These cars are dream cars for a lot of people so it's less about the right price and more about the right car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 07:18 AM   #18
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just a bit more about the car (i understand its a manual?) and where/when you got it etc.
Yes. A manual E90 comp pack. Had it for 3 1/2 years. Saw it advertised in Canberra with 70K km. So few come on the market that I jumped on a plane, bought it and drove it home.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 02:48 AM   #19
avetec
Rep

Quote:
Yes. A manual E90 comp pack. Had it for 3 1/2 years. Saw it advertised in Canberra with 70K km. So few come on the market that I jumped on a plane, bought it and drove it home.
How are you finding the manual experience? Had to modify anything? I test drove one (before jumping onto the DCT) and while i loved having a stick to move, it felt odd/vague/sloppy. Maybe just me.
Lucky you were about to hit all 3! Those are far and few.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 02:40 AM   #20
3mmm3
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate. Sounds like a peach. Something you'd consider selling at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 06:38 AM   #21
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Thanks mate. Sounds like a peach. Something you'd consider selling at all?
Sorry no.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 10:04 PM   #22
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Interesting that the E90 seems to be more valued, but at the same time, a lower priced and rarer car…

I hadn't really considered it, as I think it's a bit plain looking - perhaps with the right wheels and stance etc.
Appreciate 0