BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

EXXEL Distributions

10-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #23
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Holy shit, this build sounds insane. I would love to read a detailed build thread outlining the journey of this M3 to it's current state.

What a dream.... 450rwhp revving to 8950 sounds like the perfect M3 drivetrain to me.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #24
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I'd love to see a dyno sheet
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #25
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspireSiR View Post
My car with a full tank of gas and zero options from the factory weighed in at 3,524 lbs. Would love to know how I can pull out another 300 lbs.
Wheels - 30-40lb depending on the wheel/tire setup
Light catless exhaust - 50lb (Akra evo comes close to this and isn't ridiculously loud, still "catted" and resonated)
Remove passenger seat - 60lb
Lifepo battery - even a "heavy" one like the big 9lb Voltphreaks drops nearly 50lb
Fixed back driver's bucket - 30lb or so, depends on your choices

That gets you real close to 3300 full tank, and none of that makes the car much worse as a street car Just saying there's a lot of quick weight loss available on these things, no idea what Malek's done. Those mirrors imply a lot of detail work to get the last ounces out...

Last edited by Richbot; 10-10-2018 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #26
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Such an amazing car. Seeing it is one of the best parts of any trip to MRF. And it definitely rips and revs!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #27
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

This is and the Schirmer cars are my favorites E92 M3s. By far.

Great work Malek@MRF

Vid:
https://www.facebook.com/mrfengineer...3941276292376/
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #28
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

The MRF car is truly epic. There are numerous build details that take it to a level that's beyond compare. From the motor build to the sub-frame modifications, suspension arms, interior details, lightening with minimal interior sacrifice, etc. There are lighter pure track cars but when it comes to building a capable car that is still steetable this is the benchmark IMO.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
E90who435.00
      10-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #29
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Curious why the switch from AP to Brembo brakes? Larger rotors??
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #30
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian g. View Post
Curious why the switch from AP to Brembo brakes? Larger rotors??
He replaced an AP kit that I believe was from Stillen. Not an Essex AP kit which is a little more capable IMO. I don't think he would have made the change to a Brembo GT kit. He switched to a Brembo GTR kit and the rotors are actually a little smaller than the AP kit that he had.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #31
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My car with a full tank of gas and zero options from the factory weighed in at 3,524 lbs. Would love to know how I can pull out another 300 lbs.
I am at 3340 with DCT (no other options) and 1/2 tank of gas plus a 1/2 cage and rear seat delete (adds approximately 65 lbs while deleted seats were 70 lbs), plus rear wing, Varis diffuser, GTS lip, and CSF cooling all add back some weight.

Here's how you get there (I have been meaning to put a detailed thread together and will do so soon) -

Race Seats, Exhaust (Akra GT4 is the lightest option that I know of), Lithium Battery (Voltphreaks is about 8 lbs), sound deadening removal (everything behind front seats), Trunk liner removal, lightening of amp and com racks, wiper removal, washer tank removal, Burger Motorsports cabin filters, lighter brakes (Essex AP kit saves weight over stock), Lw wheels, and a bunch of other little things.

Malek's car is even lighter due to weight savings in the motor (his motor build saves significant rotational weight in motor), LW flywheel, manual trans is lighter than DCT, He uses harness bar - not a 1/2 cage, front sub-frame modifications and many other things I am forgetting. He has trunk liners in place and BMW Mini battery. His weight distribution is better than mine because more of the weight loss is towards the front of the car.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 5
roastbeef11586.00
donut_boi997.50
Malek@MRF730.50
E90who435.00
      10-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #32
InspireSiR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I am at 3340 with DCT (no other options) and 1/2 tank of gas plus a 1/2 cage and rear seat delete (adds approximately 65 lbs while deleted seats were 70 lbs), plus rear wing, Varis diffuser, GTS lip, and CSF cooling all add back some weight.
Wow, short of gutting your interior it sounds like everything that wasn't needed was strategically removed or lightened.

Curious about why you are running the Varis undertray then. I don't believe at the speeds these cars achieve on track that there is any aerodynamic advantage of having this diffuser. Granted, it probably is only 3-5 pounds at the most, but it seems like you've already gone through other extremes to reduce weight as much as possible.

Or do the aesthetics of this piece outweigh (no pun intended) the weight saving measures you've implemented?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #33
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Wow, short of gutting your interior it sounds like everything that wasn't needed was strategically removed or lightened.

Curious about why you are running the Varis undertray then. I don't believe at the speeds these cars achieve on track that there is any aerodynamic advantage of having this diffuser. Granted, it probably is only 3-5 pounds at the most, but it seems like you've already gone through other extremes to reduce weight as much as possible.

Or do the aesthetics of this piece outweigh (no pun intended) the weight saving measures you've implemented?
Great question. I think that the aerodynamic affect of the Varis is unknown. It's certainly very hard to measure. I am of the camp that it does improve the rear aero (based purely on logic) considering that without it there is an open cavity with the bumper acting as a bit of a parachute (especially with smaller exhaust like the Akrapovic that I use). I have thought about the weight penalty and debated whether I should keep it (unfortunately I didn't weigh it prior to install). That being said, it's a beautiful piece, likely improves the rear aero, and I have already removed a disproportionate amount of weight from the rear.

I am on the Karbonious intake group buy (saves 7 lbs up front) and could see myself getting a carbon hood in the future (approximately 10 lb weight savings). In addition, I may experiment with lightening of the carpet's foam backing. Plus I have plans to delete the folding door pockets. I sacrificed an extra door card to weigh the pocket and mechanism. It totals 2.5 lbs each side. I would need to fill the space with something (probably alcantara covered AL or Balsa Wood panel) which would add back 0.5 lb +/-. So another 4 lbs there. Lastly I have some lighter seats incoming from Japan. It's TBD whether they will fit properly. If so, I may be able to save another 30 lbs there (Cobra's are heavy). All of the above would get me below 3k lbs with full interior, 1/2 cage, all electronics / stereo, AC, etc. The only comfort sacrifices made are the extra sound present with reduced sound deadening and lack of wipers / washers. I don't see a problem with the wiper / washer delete in my climate. I literally used the wipers 3x with 2 of those instances being accidental bumping of the lever. My washer tank was nearly full and I have had the car for 3 years without ever filling.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #34
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Are you a fitness freak as well slicer?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #35
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
You're right, the driver should lose a few pounds also
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #36
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
I wasn't insinuating anything! Haha I'm fitness obsessed so I was asking for my own benefit lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #37
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not as much as I should be but I do prioritize taking care of myself.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #38
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Quote:
You calling me fat bro!?!?
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #39
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Slicer, IND has Challenge CF door cards that remove the folding pocket but retain all other hardware.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #40
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Slicer, IND has Challenge CF door cards that remove the folding pocket but retain all other hardware.
And the IND Challenge CF Trunk...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #41
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Great question. I think that the aerodynamic affect of the Varis is unknown. It's certainly very hard to measure. I am of the camp that it does improve the rear aero (based purely on logic) considering that without it there is an open cavity with the bumper acting as a bit of a parachute (especially with smaller exhaust like the Akrapovic that I use). I have thought about the weight penalty and debated whether I should keep it (unfortunately I didn't weigh it prior to install). That being said, it's a beautiful piece, likely improves the rear aero, and I have already removed a disproportionate amount of weight from the rear.

I am on the Karbonious intake group buy (saves 7 lbs up front) and could see myself getting a carbon hood in the future (approximately 10 lb weight savings). In addition, I may experiment with lightening of the carpet's foam backing. Plus I have plans to delete the folding door pockets. I sacrificed an extra door card to weigh the pocket and mechanism. It totals 2.5 lbs each side. I would need to fill the space with something (probably alcantara covered AL or Balsa Wood panel) which would add back 0.5 lb +/-. So another 4 lbs there. Lastly I have some lighter seats incoming from Japan. It's TBD whether they will fit properly. If so, I may be able to save another 30 lbs there (Cobra's are heavy). All of the above would get me below 3k lbs with full interior, 1/2 cage, all electronics / stereo, AC, etc. The only comfort sacrifices made are the extra sound present with reduced sound deadening and lack of wipers / washers. I don't see a problem with the wiper / washer delete in my climate. I literally used the wipers 3x with 2 of those instances being accidental bumping of the lever. My washer tank was nearly full and I have had the car for 3 years without ever filling.
can you start a build thread already so we can start really digging in?

also, hows your mirror project coming along? i found these while looking at brake stuff and thought of you... not e36 mirrors, but they are in the spirit of adding lightness...
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=1554
      10-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #42
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:

can you start a build thread already so we can start really digging in?

also, hows your mirror project coming along? i found these while looking at brake stuff and thought of you... not e36 mirrors, but they are in the spirit of adding lightness...
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=1554
Haha - I need to get on that.

I aborted the mirror project. It would only save 2 lbs and would require a custom mount. Too much of a PIA
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #43
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Yes I saw that. Not sure I want to drop the cash on them. Somehow they seem frivolous despite all the other $$ spent on the car. I like the idea of making a GTS style door card. That's where I got the idea for the pocket delete.

[IMG]https://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/jp...w-m3-gts-2.jpg[/IMG]
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
E90who435.00
      10-16-2018, 11:51 PM   #44
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Haha - I need to get on that.

I aborted the mirror project. It would only save 2 lbs and would require a custom mount. Too much of a PIA
did those regular e92 bases fit?