BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
sct911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

e92 m3 options for ABS pump/module failure?

Has anyone had theirs fail? did you buy brand new for about 4k or are there other options? i had mine repaired he first time around but it barely lasted 10 months

Located in Sydney
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
perth1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi,
If you replace the ABS pump/module there will be programming involved, as the steering angle sensor sits inside the steering stalk unit, and it has a serial number which is monitored by the ABS unit.

It could be two different faults, either the pump, or the electronics/solenoids. BMW sells the electronics as a separate part number. IF the fault is the pump motor (which has been the common fault with these) then it will not be sufficient just to replace the electronics.

If yours is a pump (motor) fault, You should be able to purchase a s/hand unit of eBay and transfer the electronics from your unit across to the s/hand pump & valve body unit. That way you shouldn't need to do any programming.

Alternatively you could have it repaired again, rather than replace with s/hand pump.
Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

My ABS pump leaked. Had it replaced with a low mileage eBay unit for a few hundred bucks and coded. No issues. New is way too expensive!
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
sct911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
My ABS pump leaked. Had it replaced with a low mileage eBay unit for a few hundred bucks and coded. No issues. New is way too expensive!
Does the unit have to be region specific? if i buy a low mileage unit as a whole from the US , can it be coded in Australia?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
perth1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi,
In the RealOEM parts catalogue (BMW), it is the same part number used for the ABS unit in the EURO and USA builds.

For my E90 DIY build, my ABS unit is also one I bought second hand. (my original one was crushed) I have fitted it and filled brake fluid, but I am some days away from fitting the battery and turning on the ignition for the first time, so can't tell you yet how much the software is complaining until I take it somewhere for coding in the new steering column switch. Hopefully the car starts and is driveable to the workshop, (obviously with 'ABS fault' but that remains to see ;-)
Appreciate 0