BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-29-2017, 10:53 PM   #45
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey E92 M3 (6MT)

All clear on my old girl as well! Clearly they don't build'em like they used to!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 12:46 AM   #46
Darkne55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC380 View Post
Just put my VIN into the BMW Oz recalls site (https://www.bmw.com.au/en/topics/off...s/recalls.html) and it came up with an outstanding recall for a "E9x S65 Reparaturkabel Batterieplus-Leitung einbauen" which Google Translate tells me is "E9x S65 Repair cable Install batteryplus cable".

Nothing about airbags though.

Anyone else had this "batteryplus cable" thingy replaced? What is it exactly?
Thanks for this VIN check site..

Mines all clear too..
now I can forget about metal shards into my brain...
      08-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #47
perth1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Exclamation

Hi,
Today I inspected the back of my driver's airbag on my Australian E92 M3 year 2012, and guess what: It also has an airbag made by TAKATA.
I took a photo of the yellow label with manufacturer's name on it. Will try to upload image shortly.
I suggest not to dismantle the airbag for checking yourself, but insist the dealer pops it out of the steering wheel, to prove to you what the label says.

Suggest E90 / E92 owners should contact BMW and demand recall replacement with a different brand of Airbag. (For example TRW, not TAKATA).

Now we know that some Australian E9X / E92s also have airbags by TAKATA.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #48
DMC380
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth1 View Post
Hi,
Today I inspected the back of my driver's airbag on my Australian E92 M3 year 2012, and guess what: It also has an airbag made by TAKATA.
I took a photo of the yellow label with manufacturer's name on it. Will try to upload image shortly.
I suggest not to dismantle the airbag for checking yourself, but insist the dealer pops it out of the steering wheel, to prove to you what the label says.

Suggest E90 / E92 owners should contact BMW and demand recall replacement with a different brand of Airbag. (For example TRW, not TAKATA).

Cheers,
Wow. Good pick up perth1!

I'll get mine checked before I take it in for the batteryplusfireythingy recall in a couple of weeks when I make it back home.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #49
perth1
Private
Rep

Here is a photo of the back of my 2012 E92 Australian M3 driver's airbag:

[IMG][/IMG]

It clearly shows TAKATA on the sticker. Production date on the circle/arrow in the top corner of photo seems to be week20/year12 (matches with just before my car's production date).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #50
XIX
Incognito
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 Harrop S/C

Good pick up mate. Are all Takata bags recalled ?

If so I would want it replaced without delay.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #51
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth1 View Post
Hi,

Cheers,
Hi - what did a VIN check reveal? Did it say you car's OK?!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #52
DMC380
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
Hi - what did a VIN check reveal? Did it say you car's OK?!!
This would be good to know ^^^

From my reading, the problems are related to the ammonium nitrate inflators which Takata used. I had also heard that the US specs for airbags were different to Oz, but I seem to remember that was along the line of them deploying at a lower speed due to the (now defunct) laws in the US regarding non-mandatory use of seatbelts. These differences are likely irrelevant now, as the last states to make seatbelt use mandatory were around 1994.

Therefore I find it extremely unlikely that the airbags used in the US are different to those used here. I would be surprised if the part numbers were different, though that may be a little hard to verify now...

Of interest - relating to the "batterycable" thingy in my earlier post, checking the Product Safety Australia recalls for our cars gives this from Feb 2013:
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...motor-vehicles

So.. why during the past two visits to the BMW dealer was this not raised by BMW with me I wonder?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #53
XIX
Incognito
Australia
Rep

This is the realoem part number for my car 32306770515

This is the realoem part number for the exact same build date e93 in US spec 32306884654

They are not matching parts. I dont know why or what is different.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #54
perth1
Private
Rep

Hi,
I just checked the BMW recall site. For my 2012 M3 (with TAKATA airbag photo above): 'Your vehicle is not affected by any recall'.

Before I feel comfortable sitting behind a TAKATA airbag (if claimed to be not affected) I would like to see some scientific proof that it's not affected. It looks like any TAKATA airbag would be affected due to the instability with age of the Ammonium Nitrate this manufacturer seem to have used in all their airbags.

This official recall does not yet have E9X vehicles listed:

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/new...lian-consumers

Today I also checked (dismantled) my wife's older E90 without 'sports' airbag. That car has a TRW driver's airbag.

Also I checked an old X3 that I own. It's a year 2008 E83 with sports pack. Unfortunately for me, the X3 also has TAKATA driver's airbag.
I noticed that in US also the X3 E83 is listed on their recall, but not yet in Australia.
Cheers,
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #55
m3toboot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///3

This is my concern too. Despite what BMW in oz say. I want to know why our cars are not included in the global (not just BMW) recall, AND what airbags are installed in our cars.

I still cannot see how oz cars got a different airbag to those in Europe, rest of the world where these have proven to have very real issues. I also know that some E46's have had their takata airbags replaced.

Another avenue for follow up and clarification in addition to our govt authorities maybe Germany itself: customercare at bmw dot de

Last edited by m3toboot; 08-13-2017 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:41 AM   #56
DMC380
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

I've been trying (in vain) to get a straight answer from BMW Australia about this. The latest reply I got states:

BMW Germany is working alongside Takata to conduct a thorough assessment of the affected vehicles, at this stage we have a VIN listing of affected vehicles, if the vehicle is listed as affected it will require the recall.

If any further information comes to light, suggesting a further VIN range is affected the list may be expanded and the owners contacted via the usual channels. With the above in mind, you may receive a letter in the future if your vehicle is believed to be affected.

I'm not entirely happy with the response, and am continuing to prod for something more definite. I have asked them what are the differences between the airbags fitted to US cars and the ones fitted to Oz cars, but to date they have not answered that question.

Will keep you updated. In the meantime, a (polite) email to info@bmw.com.au from each of you may help to escalate a response for all of us. Keep in mind that this isn't like most recalls - it won't result in your car catching fire or failing to start. This one is potentially fatal.

The Dept of Infrastructure and Regional Development are the responsible government body in Australia to oversee this matter, and they released a report just last week (attached) that doesn't show our cars. My next step will be to follow up with them if BMW can't at least explain why our cars are different to the US ones.

Interestingly, from what I can see - E9x M3s in the UK are also not subject to the Takata recall, so it is possible that there is a fundamental difference in the airbags in our cars to the US ones.

I'd just like to know for sure - as I'm sure the rest of you would too.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf report-on-takata-airbag-recall.pdf (362.8 KB, 470 views)
Appreciate 2
JJH543.50
      08-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #57
Ken Oath
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 330d

I just checked mine and they're perfect
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 03:52 AM   #58
DMC380
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

I've got a new airbag.. you'll never guess the brand

So had my driver's airbag replaced today at BMW Hornsby.

And the new airbag is a... Takata!

It's German one though - manufactured in Aschaffenburg. Not told anything regarding it requiring replacement again in the future, and confirmed that the other airbags (passenger and side) are not affected.

On a side note, I had resolved to never buying a new BMW thanks to multiple experiences with the "service" department at BMW Sydney. I just couldn't do it. Anyway, the airbag was booked in with BMW Hornsby (mainly to not use BMW Sydney). And wow - so much better. The service manager was polite and unassuming, and nice to talk to. The car was back on time and everything in order. That's something I've never experienced with BMW Sydney.

Might have to think about that M2 Competition that's coming along...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #59
Carva
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E82 123D

My 08 E93 & 10 E82 both received the recall letter
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #60
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i booked my E39, E70 and 1M in for airbag recall. Didnt get any letters yet but just called dealership.

1M is in having it done today.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #61
XIX
Incognito
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
i booked my E39, E70 and 1M in for airbag recall. Didnt get any letters yet but just called dealership.

1M is in having it done today.
Yup My M is getting it done in a couple of weeks, I just emailed and they booked it in.

Time to update your car in your profile
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #62
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX View Post
Yup My M is getting it done in a couple of weeks, I just emailed and they booked it in.

Time to update your car in your profile
so airbag done today. i arrive home to find the recall letter haha

haha im still missing the e92
Appreciate 0