BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Question VIAIR portable air compressor (Tirerack)

Hey guys,

Just noted Tire - rack is carrying VIAIR portable air compressors.

Anyone have any experience w using them for periodic air top offs? Not having to utilize gas stations air pumps anymore would be convenient!

Looking @ details ; 2 versions offered.

-One that utilizes your power port (cig lighter)
"Maximum 15-amp port inside your vehicle"

-Other connects directly to battery as power source.

My preference / center power port - however unsure of output our power port can handle - not worth risk of blowing any fuses.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

do your local tracks have air? a few of them in socal do and i bring my 20' air hose and chuck/w pressure gauge. very small package and drama free. cheap, too.
      08-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
do your local tracks have air? a few of them in socal do and i bring my 20' air hose and chuck/w pressure gauge. very small package and drama free. cheap, too.
They do -

Though for times air pressure needs adjusting and for most accurate readings / cold psi (an undriven car seems to be best). Closest gas station to me is little under 1 mile - and if driven early in the AM temps outside wouldn't be too hot causing much fluctuation in cold PSI.

Always have battles w/ the air compressors at gas stations, between it pulling back to be recoiled and me on the other side pulling to reach wheels it becomes a tug of war sight to be scene

Plus local gas station valves always seem to be broken / take some major finagling to get air into tires. Overall PITA - Forgot to mention having to run back inside once air cycle is finished (and of course all my tires aren't filled) to tell attendant to turn on compressor again... Smh first world problems.

But in all seriousness - trying to find a simpler solution - any ideas appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

when i replied earlier, i thought i was in the track forum. i realize you may not always be at the track... are you looking at the viair mostly because you want to take it with you or something? or because tire rack now carries it and it is now crossing your mind?

a portable solution often not talked about on here are co2 tanks. not because co2 is a better gas to fill your tires with, but because it would last a very long time in a car application. no electricity to worry about, and i suspect it would cost you about $25 every two years to fill if you're just topping off from time to time.
these tanks also have regulators that would make it easy to add small increments of air. i also use an ARB air chuck with a pressure gauge on the nozzle. makes things really easy if you don't mind the higher cost.
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Tank-RV...keywords=10+lb

this is the exact air gauge i use.
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB605-In...=arb+air+chuck
      08-14-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

These things work great and the pressure gauge is surprisingly accurate.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
SVH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i & 2011-e93 TT

Have it, works great!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
when i replied earlier, i thought i was in the track forum. i realize you may not always be at the track... are you looking at the viair mostly because you want to take it with you or something? or because tire rack now carries it and it is now crossing your mind?

a portable solution often not talked about on here are co2 tanks. not because co2 is a better gas to fill your tires with, but because it would last a very long time in a car application. no electricity to worry about, and i suspect it would cost you about $25 every two years to fill if you're just topping off from time to time.
these tanks also have regulators that would make it easy to add small increments of air. i also use an ARB air chuck with a pressure gauge on the nozzle. makes things really easy if you don't mind the higher cost.
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Tank-RV...keywords=10+lb

this is the exact air gauge i use.
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB605-In...=arb+air+chuck
Just a connivence factor - ability to top off air in my garage w/o driving to gas station. The tank you posted is WAY too extreme for my usage of most likely 2/3 times a month. Main concern - the power it draws from the cig light power outlet / being too high for car. (Need to verify in manual tonight - but 12V seems like alot of power being drawn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
These things work great and the pressure gauge is surprisingly accurate.
Which one do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVH View Post
Have it, works great!
Again - question above, which one do you use?

Gotta just quickly check manual and voltage capacity of the cig lighter. Blowing a fuse - by using this wouldn't be worth it me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
SVH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i & 2011-e93 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Just a connivence factor - ability to top off air in my garage w/o driving to gas station. The tank you posted is WAY too extreme for my usage of most likely 2/3 times a month. Main concern - the power it draws from the cig light power outlet / being too high for car. (Need to verify in manual tonight - but 12V seems like alot of power being drawn...

Which one do you use?

Again - question above, which one do you use?

Gotta just quickly check manual and voltage capacity of the cig lighter. Blowing a fuse - by using this wouldn't be worth it me.
I use the one that plugs into the cig lighter, works every time, never blew a fuse. Used it to blow up my friends pick up tire that was flat, and others. Good power, works pretty fast. I don't always trust the pressure gauge so I use a separate gauge to check.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #9
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

To be honest, brands don't really matter that much! Just make sure it meets the voltage requirement and has a meter on it...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 11:21 PM   #10
White 13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A 2013 Alpine White E92

Viair is a good brand. From what I have seen the have some customer support which the cheaper ones don't and better quality too, they have been around for quite awhile. I have a similar one that Cosco had on on sale and is pretty good but next one will probably be Viair. Do get the one that clamps onto the battery terminals. Power point has like a 15 amp fuse. Clamp ones have a 30 amp inline fuse; gotta be faster. Mine has blown many fuses but after the first blown one I have a bunch of spares so no problem. Changing the car's fuse would be a pain. They seem to blow when starting with a load, better to just leave it running but then you have to fool with the screw on fitting with pressure fighting you. Push on connector would be better; I think the screw on can be adapted to push on. I have also read to leave the cars engine running so amps don't go so high on start up because of increased voltage.

That 88 P looks very good. Seems it doesn't come with a bag though. Plastic ammo box may work. 90 P looks good also and comes with the push on connector, may be a little slower though.

The ones that look like a cordless drill are also worth looking into. Probably slower though.

Also if you only need one or two pounds at the track or something a good bicycle pump is faster.

Last edited by White 13; 08-17-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:31 AM   #11
m3toboot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///3

Have a couple of Viair pumps in a 4wd (for air suspension). Its been working in a hot, dusty, sometimes wet environment without skipping a beat. I would buy their products without hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 01:48 AM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Which one do you use?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used multiple versions on multiple cars at the trach and never blown a fuse.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #13
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

I have a Viair 88P, which includes battery clamps. It's a very handy and convenient piece of equipment to have around.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #14
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
pardon me for the thought... but if you have to top off your tires two to three times a month, there is either a problem with your tire/wheel setup, or you're just super ocd.
the beauty of the c02 tank, is it doesn't need any power at all. you fill it up and the pressure inside of the tank is what fills up the tires. co2 has greater expansion properties than just compressed air, so you use less to do more.
i can understand it might not be an option strictly because of the initial high cost, but thought i would inform you of the option. on a car with low profile tires like ours, i would imagine it would take a one to two second touch to adjust pressure considerably. if you're checking/adjusting tire pressures as often as you say you are, it is going to save you a lot of time.

i use my 10lb c02 tank to fill up the tires in my truck when i air down to go offroading. it fills 37" tires from 10-12 psi to 35ish psi in about 30 seconds. it is fast and quiet.
      08-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #15
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White 13 View Post
Viair is a good brand. From what I have seen the have some customer support which the cheaper ones don't and better quality too, they have been around for quite awhile. I have a similar one that Cosco had on on sale and is pretty good but next one will probably be Viair. Do get the one that clamps onto the battery terminals. Power point has like a 15 amp fuse. Clamp ones have a 30 amp inline fuse; gotta be faster. Mine has blown many fuses but after the first blown one I have a bunch of spares so no problem. Changing the car's fuse would be a pain. They seem to blow when starting with a load, better to just leave it running but then you have to fool with the screw on fitting with pressure fighting you. Push on connector would be better; I think the screw on can be adapted to push on. I have also read to leave the cars engine running so amps don't go so high on start up because of increased voltage.

That 88 P looks very good. Seems it doesn't come with a bag though. Plastic ammo box may work. 90 P looks good also and comes with the push on connector, may be a little slower though.

The ones that look like a cordless drill are also worth looking into. Probably slower though.

Also if you only need one or two pounds at the track or something a good bicycle pump is faster.
Only have a presto air bike pump lol - really did not even know thats possible.

Leaving car on - solid advice. Still want to verify voltage capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3toboot View Post
Have a couple of Viair pumps in a 4wd (for air suspension). Its been working in a hot, dusty, sometimes wet environment without skipping a beat. I would buy their products without hesitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used multiple versions on multiple cars at the trach and never blown a fuse.
Multiple cars is different - BMW tends to be lend itself in the "picky" area when electrical becomes involved.

Quote:
pardon me for the thought... but if you have to top off your tires two to three times a month, there is either a problem with your tire/wheel setup, or you're just super ocd.
the beauty of the c02 tank, is it doesn't need any power at all. you fill it up and the pressure inside of the tank is what fills up the tires. co2 has greater expansion properties than just compressed air, so you use less to do more.
i can understand it might not be an option strictly because of the initial high cost, but thought i would inform you of the option. on a car with low profile tires like ours, i would imagine it would take a one to two second touch to adjust pressure considerably. if you're checking/adjusting tire pressures as often as you say you are, it is going to save you a lot of time.

i use my 10lb c02 tank to fill up the tires in my truck when i air down to go offroading. it fills 37" tires from 10-12 psi to 35ish psi in about 30 seconds. it is fast and quiet.
Super OCD

2/3 times month is probably over-exagerated.

Maybe once a month depending on weather temps. From what I recall East Coast gas stations had normal air pump hoses - not the automatic re-coil ones that I play tug of war with overtime I need air here in AZ. Smh...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

I have the harbor freight special that looks identical to the one in the picture.

It does draw high which can blow a car fuse, but this is what I do:

Plug in the compressor and turn it on. Then screw on the valve to your tire valve to pressurize. If you switch on the compressor after the valves are secured, the fuse could blow.

What I'm looking for is a nice compressor that can handle both 12V and 120V. I bought one off Amazon a few months ago and it was cheaply made, so I returned it.
      08-29-2017, 01:32 AM   #17
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I had two Viairs that looked exactly like that. Both compressors died within a year or two. I have used other brands since to varying degrees of success.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #18
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Re-vitalizing this thread as your info on the C0 is pretty useful. Examples I can think of from top of mind IE; my closest now gas station uses this auto set PSI fill feature (cool I guess?) - but yes, it still has a coil cord that you fight with when filling up far side tires - and no it's not accurate. Second, coming home after track weekend, tire pressures are certainly not all exact - and will need air for proper PSI street driving. So, in short am seeing the benefit in your suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 06:51 AM   #19
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

I have a few air sources in my garage but the latest addition to my daily driver was one of these I got on sale to keep in the trunk and it does everything. After reading reviews of people even comping with it I had to give it a try. So far very pleased only charged it once when I first got it like 2 months ago and still holding a charge and I've used it several times to top off air.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP.../dp/B004EIAADG
Appreciate 0