BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

12-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
nschmdbrg
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3

Rear Sway Bar End Link Replacement trouble

I am having trouble replacing the end links and do not see where this is covered in any of the DYI posts. I cannot remove the bottom bolt and am inquiring as to what bolts / nuts on other rear suspension components might need to be removed to allow for enough clearance to remove the bottom bolt for the end link. TIA

Name:  Today - 1 of 1.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  305.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
nschmdbrg
United_States
Rep

For anyone that has replaced their rear end links on an E9X M3, the only way I see that this can be done is by 1) cut the bolt long enough where you can remove it from the wheel carrier housing. Then you would have to cut the new bolt enough to have the clearance to install the new end link. 2) remove the rear axle from the wheel housing.
This is a total pain in the ass.. why would BMW engineer something this way. I removed every suspension component attached to the wheel housing to see if there was any additional clearance I could get, but after removing some of the wishbones, I noticed that the axle going into wheel housing has no play.. which makes sense.
If anyone has replaced their end link with a different procedure, please enlighten me. I'm new to the forum so appreciate the support.
Guess I will have my indy do the rear link replacement.. this has worn me out. He will get a good laugh when he sees my wrench..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

I just went through this myself. I cut the bolts. Yes, it's a pain but not as much as removing the rear axle. If it's any consolation, I think you really only need one of the endlinks to be adjustable if you are just setting zero preload.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
nschmdbrg
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input. I read where others cut the bolt and replaced with one about 5mm shorter. Looks like BMW has a bolt that length part no. 07119903931. Trip to the dealer tomorrow if they have them in stock.
Appreciate 0