BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Unhappy Go Full Akra Evo or Eisenmann Race Slip on? I am torn!

I am currently running a Akra Slip-on. While it sounds great, I am looking for some more sound. Am torn between getting a Akra X-Pipe to make it a full Evo or just replace the Akra with Eisenmann race slip-on and call it a day. I already have BPM tune so getting rid of the CEL light won't be an issue.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts

Thanks.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Full Evo 100% for sure, other talk is just CrAzY!
      05-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
wheatpaste
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

The standard Akra x-pipe will change the sound a bit, but to me it's not a huge difference over the slip-on by itself. The best way I can describe it is that the x-pipe adds some nice bark to the exhaust sound when you start to open up the throttle. I find that in the upper RPM range, the full Akra Evo still gets drowned out by the engine induction noise, same as the slip-on.

I personally like it, but if you're looking for something significantly louder than what you have now, the Akra x-pipe is probably not going to satisfy you. The power gains are definitely noticeable even without a tune.

One more note, if you have a "Stage 1" tune, you'll probably still get a CEL eventually. I know I had a BPM stage 1 tune, installed my x-pipe, and after about 75 miles I still got a CEL. I later upgraded to a stage 2 tune which removed the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Eisenmann race.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
JBiddy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M

Full akra is where it's at! Love mine
      05-16-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

I'd recommend getting the Akra gt4 midpipe for added sound or just get the Eisenmann race! I had the Akra gt4 midpipe and the Eisenmann inconel race and it sounded like pure race car!!!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Sound-wise, Eisenmann for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Pretty different sounds, depends what you want I guess. There's a local member here that has full Akra Evo and it's a nice sounding exhaust for sure, but definitely not the loudest one out there. I'd say in terms of volume, I'd put it at mild. I have full catless Eisenmann Race and it's quite a bit louder and higher pitched than his. Like I said, just depends what you are looking for because they are 2 quite different systems.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Pretty different sounds, depends what you want I guess. There's a local member here that has full Akra Evo and it's a nice sounding exhaust for sure, but definitely not the loudest one out there. I'd say in terms of volume, I'd put it at mild. I have full catless Eisenmann Race and it's quite a bit louder and higher pitched than his. Like I said, just depends what you are looking for because they are 2 quite different systems.
Your car sounds quite epic sir.
I have heard this car and it sounds absolutely phenomenal.
      05-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Your catless E Race sounds way better than akra evo.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Screw the Akra, get a real setup!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
my opinion: forget the akra and get the eisenmann. your ears will thank you and so will your wallet
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
my opinion: forget the akra and get the eisenmann. your ears will thank you and so will your wallet
I hear drone is a major issue compared to the Akra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Screw the Akra, get a real setup!!
Please elaborate? Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I want louder but defiantely want to avoid adding any drone. Am also concerned about passing emissions. The tune will help get rid of the CEL but I may have to switch out the X pipe once a year for emmission testing which brings up another question. If I switch it out to stock and then switch back to Akra, will the CEL light come up again and I will need to reflash of the tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Sound-wise, Eisenmann for sure.
Thoughts on the drone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
I'd recommend getting the Akra gt4 midpipe for added sound or just get the Eisenmann race! I had the Akra gt4 midpipe and the Eisenmann inconel race and it sounded like pure race car!!!

Might get too loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBiddy View Post
Full akra is where it's at! Love mine
Sure am leaning that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpaste View Post
The standard Akra x-pipe will change the sound a bit, but to me it's not a huge difference over the slip-on by itself. The best way I can describe it is that the x-pipe adds some nice bark to the exhaust sound when you start to open up the throttle. I find that in the upper RPM range, the full Akra Evo still gets drowned out by the engine induction noise, same as the slip-on.

I personally like it, but if you're looking for something significantly louder than what you have now, the Akra x-pipe is probably not going to satisfy you. The power gains are definitely noticeable even without a tune.

One more note, if you have a "Stage 1" tune, you'll probably still get a CEL eventually. I know I had a BPM stage 1 tune, installed my x-pipe, and after about 75 miles I still got a CEL. I later upgraded to a stage 2 tune which removed the CEL.
Does it sound like this? This video makes it sound godly Would you call this an accurate representation of how it sounds?

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Any sport muffler with a full catless x pipe will sound phenomenal under load and quiet w/ no drone while cruising. I am running a custom made quad resonated x pipe with a sport rear and it's killer.

E race sounds great but you'll regret it w/ catless x pipe and you'll want to do that down the road. Everyone has Akra and IMO it just sounds alright. My car sounds exotic and like nothing else
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

Akrapovic is great example of quality craftmanship, but soundwise...
imo it's only crap.
      05-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Any sport muffler with a full catless x pipe will sound phenomenal under load and quiet w/ no drone while cruising. I am running a custom made quad resonated x pipe with a sport rear and it's killer.

E race sounds great but you'll regret it w/ catless x pipe and you'll want to do that down the road. Everyone has Akra and IMO it just sounds alright. My car sounds exotic and like nothing else
Thanks. Care to share a video?

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
As you can tell in this thread, sound is completely subjective. I get COUNTLESS compliments at the racetrack because of the Akra Evo. Also, volume is completely subjective as well. I find the Evo plenty loud and fits the car's personality nicely. I think most of the guys here would prefer the sound of a catless mustang gt.

Bottom line is you need to meet up with a local that has the exhausts you want to hear. There's no other way to make this choice wisely. The Evo is a performance mod as much as it is a aural mod. Dropping 40-50lbs is a lot of weight, but nobody here seems to care about that.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #18
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Thanks. Care to share a video?

here's a crappy one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
As you can tell in this thread, sound is completely subjective. I get COUNTLESS compliments at the racetrack because of the Akra Evo. Also, volume is completely subjective as well. I find the Evo plenty loud and fits the car's personality nicely. I think most of the guys here would prefer the sound of a catless mustang gt.

Bottom line is you need to meet up with a local that has the exhausts you want to hear. There's no other way to make this choice wisely. The Evo is a performance mod as much as it is a aural mod. Dropping 40-50lbs is a lot of weight, but nobody here seems to care about that.

+1
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #19
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post

Couldn't agree more on the weight. Installing any other exhaust compared to the Akra was like lifting a truck

Any thoughts on the 2k-3k resonance people talk about and the tin can noise? Also concerned about the HP dip at lower rpm's. I will have the BPM tune though. Not sure if that addresses it.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Akra with challenge, Dinan or Gintani x-pipe. i had Miestershaft gt2 which was loud and added a challenge x-pipe which made it crazy loud, changed the gt2 for an Akra and been running this setup for about 2 years and i just love the sounds. on the track this setup is perfect passes the track 92db limit and sounds great from outside and inside. IMO an Akra slip on sounds great with SS x-pipe
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #21
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Couldn't agree more on the weight. Installing any other exhaust compared to the Akra was like lifting a truck

Any thoughts on the 2k-3k resonance people talk about and the tin can noise? Also concerned about the HP dip at lower rpm's. I will have the BPM tune though. Not sure if that addresses it.
Any tune addresses the dip, but IMO for a big $$ setup why is it there to begin with ??

Akra is great quality no doubt but there's so much others out there not explored ya know>
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #22
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
Akra with challenge, Dinan or Gintani x-pipe. i had Miestershaft gt2 which was loud and added a challenge x-pipe which made it crazy loud, changed the gt2 for an Akra and been running this setup for about 2 years and i just love the sounds. on the track this setup is perfect passes the track 92db limit and sounds great from outside and inside. IMO an Akra slip on sounds great with SS x-pipe
I have seen your car in some of your posts. very Very sharp looking car You mentioned in one of your posts that the only downfall to the akra slip on was that you had to get adapters to fit it to the challenge x-pipe. I already have an Akra slip-on that bolts to the stock pipe. It has an extra piece that goes between the slip-on and the stock pipe. IS that the adapter you are taking about?

On a side note, I just saw the video of your Meisterschaft GT2 and Challenge sport x-pipe setup. made the mistake of wearing headphones. Think I went deaf for a few seconds

Appreciate 0