BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #89
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

My car, and a coworkers car, both do this. I'm curious to put a stock x-pipe on and verify it doesn't exhibit this behavior. I think I can borrow one from my coworker to test it out. My car has done this with both the Challenge Sport X-pipe and the Akra Evo I currently have fitted.

It looks to me like something with the tune vs exhaust pressure changes due to exhaust hardware. My VANOS seems to track target vs actual pretty much spot on. New plugs, injectors, fuel pressure sensor, fuel pump, and oxygen sensors in the last couple thousand miles on my car. I borrowed coil packs just to try a different set, no change in this behavior with them either... But they were also used so no way to be positive they were good.

The biggest problem with this is that the DCT clutch grabs right in this range if you're trying to take off quickly, and as a result you get a really shitty takeoff bucking/misfire which, combined with stiff motor mounts and diff/subframe bushings, makes for an unpleasant drive. It also makes your passengers ask whats wrong with the car (rightfully.)
      07-11-2020, 03:50 AM   #90
dmlf
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 + Many saabs

It looks like im in the same boat.

St2 E85 tune, catless Xpipe, new header seals, new dp-> xpipe seals

The cars will go into limp mode if I insist on giving it too much throttle below 3k RPM

If let the car accelerate from idle using low/mid throttle I can definetly feel a bump in power around 3k rpm.

Cold start are very bad even in warm weather ( need to try start the car 2 times for 2 seconds before being able to start )
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #91
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlf View Post
The cars will go into limp mode if I insist on giving it too much throttle below 3k RPM
I had limp mode issues with e85 also, usually only when the engine is cold and too much throttle was applied. It didn't do it when the engine was at temp.

I switched back to 93 and just have this hesitation issue.
Eventually i'll get new injectors and try things again, but I'm not confident that is the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 02:38 AM   #92
dmlf
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 + Many saabs

I will check the right manifold->test pipe connection, the flange on the manifold was sliding along the manifold. This is not the case on the left manifold flange.
I also can hear a rythmed hissing noise coming from this side of the car.

Next will follow an injector cleaning, maybe the spray pattern and flow are bad on low duty cycles.

If the issue persist I'll change all 8 coils ( any opinions on ignition projects coils ? )

The last issue could come from the harmonic reflections in the exhaust which could alter the engine VE in some spots/ranges
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #93
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Alpine has said that his tunes are stock until about 3200rpm, no added fuel or ignition timing until 3200.

Because of the lower back pressure with headers, catless, xpipe closer to the engine, perhaps there needs to be specific tuning for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #94
SupergluedGaspedal
KC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Saloon 6MT

I have a very similar issues with mine since installing a Bimmerworld X pipe to mufflers with a custom tune. If I'm just riding around town geared out in 5th or 6th cruising.. If I give it full throttle under 2600 rpm there is a little hesitation and stumble but it goes away after 3000. No codes..no issues and pulls great any other time so I'm thinking the tune needs a little tweaking on the low end.
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #95
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupergluedGaspedal View Post
I have a very similar issues with mine since installing a Bimmerworld X pipe to mufflers with a custom tune. If I'm just riding around town geared out in 5th or 6th cruising.. If I give it full throttle under 2600 rpm there is a little hesitation and stumble but it goes away after 3000. No codes..no issues and pulls great any other time so I'm thinking the tune needs a little tweaking on the low end.
Just like someone mentioned before I heard from Alex that the tune is basically stock until about 3.5k rpm. Maybe it would be possible to make some corrections to the low end and hopefully get rid of this issue. Maybe if we created some sort of group buy for a custom low end tune correction he would agree to develop it.
      07-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #96
alfalfa
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Do you know how to read adaptions from the ecu?
If yes, read it with INPA and post it here. There is a possibility to see if the changes of the headers have an influence.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #97
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

I have been meaning to post this up for awhile but I have been super busy. A friend mine was filming my car and captured the event on video.

It happens right at 10 seconds.

This problem is really starting to bum me out, it even happened the other day when I had to pull out out of a parking lot quick and caused me to stall for a second in the intersection. I think the tune (even if it is the stock part of the tune or just a stock tune) needs to be adjusted for the higher flow exhaust systems. I am no tuner, just my hunch
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #98
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 S65

I wanna say that I'm a victim to this latest issue with these x-pipes. BPM Tuned stage 2 catless and just got a catless BW xpipe, same issue. Thought it was the fuel sensor as a code came up for that after my TA failed. I found out this was truly a problem when I went to race a scat pack at a event from a dig talking shit and all with a passenger! I floored it and the car just choked at the 2.5k-3k mark and I lost of course and the rest is history! I'm starting to believe it is a backpressure/tuning thing. I never had this issue with the test pipes which makes me believe it's a tune thing. Maybe a retune for xpipes might be needed! Any supercharged people can input or maybe compare files within the same range since it's alot more pressure flowing thru the pipes.
      09-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #99
MikeYQM
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP

I was running Alpine Stage 2 from April to yesterday with no issues. Installed a Bimmerworld X-Pipe last night and I'm having the same problem. Any solutions?
      10-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #100
MikeYQM
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Can everyone who has had the 2500 RPM torque dip/bog/hesitation please reply and provide the following information?

- X-Pipe Type:
- Axle Back Exhaust Type:
- Tune:

I'm trying to collect some stats to help direct our research into this issue.
      10-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #101
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Good idea. I'll start:
X-pipe: ESS TUNING (first catless, then with 200cpsi primary cats - no difference)
Cat back: Billy Boat
Tune: Alpine (torque dip was present with stock tune as well)

In my case the only variable that caused the torque dip was the x-pipe.
      10-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #102
bennylagoon
bennylagoon
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

X-pipe : Custom catless with resonators. Stock diameter. Stock x-pipe position.
Axle Back : Stock
Tune : AlexAlpine E85 stage 2 => Torque Dip / AlexAlpine O93 stage 2 => No Torque Dip
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:45 AM   #103
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

- X-Pipe Type: Becker Headers (catless)
- Axle Back Exhaust Type: CNT Racing
- Tune: Alpine E85 + Alpine 93 Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #104
MikeYQM
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
- X-Pipe Type: Becker Headers (catless)
- Axle Back Exhaust Type: CNT Racing
- Tune: Alpine E85 + Alpine 93 Stage 2
Problems when running both tunes?
      10-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #105
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM View Post
Problems when running both tunes?
Yes. Logs posted previously was on 93 Stage 2.
First noticed the issue at an autocross event on E85 tune, switching to 93 didn't help.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #106
nate122
Rep
Drives: 14' STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM View Post
Can everyone who has had the 2500 RPM torque dip/bog/hesitation please reply and provide the following information?

- X-Pipe Type:
- Axle Back Exhaust Type:
- Tune:

I'm trying to collect some stats to help direct our research into this issue.

Oh my god.. I swear I thought I was the only one with this issue thinking something was severely wrong with my car.
I've gone through a ton of similar scenarios.
Replaced spark plugs, replaced leaky dct pan, changed the idle control valve.

Stage 1 was great. No issues for me.
Stage 2 with a BW x pipe and dct gts tune.
The car would fall on its face around 2500 if i WOT. The car also struggles to downshift unless I'm in d4 or d5.
If I have the rpms higher, no hesitation at all.

X pipe: BW x pipe
Axle back: corsa
Tune: Alex alpine stage 2 91 octane
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #107
MikeYQM
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Epic Tune Successfully Tested

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1765810
      10-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #108
pdxbimmertech
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

X pipe: BW
Axle back: Eisenmann Race
Tune: Dinan stage 2

I've been fighting this issue and stumbled upon this and other threads related to the same thing. Thought I was the only one as well and glad to see it's being talked about and some tuners are stepping up and making a fix for it! I'd like to see a report back after some more miles are driven with the tune by Epic Motorsports to see if it offered a full fix (fingers crossed).
      10-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #109
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbimmertech View Post
X pipe: BW
Axle back: Eisenmann Race
Tune: Dinan stage 2

I've been fighting this issue and stumbled upon this and other threads related to the same thing. Thought I was the only one as well and glad to see it's being talked about and some tuners are stepping up and making a fix for it! I'd like to see a report back after some more miles are driven with the tune by Epic Motorsports to see if it offered a full fix (fingers crossed).
You can follow this thread we are working on a fix

AlpineMSS Low RPM Catless X-Pipe Misfire/Torque Dip/Bog - Interest for Solution https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768783
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 08:15 PM   #110
DBE
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Test pipes
100 cell primary cat
Resonators deleted
Stock xpipe
Stock muffler
Evolve tune
Been having this problem for about 5 years. Would LOVE a solution

Would deleting the xpipe altogether help? Just straight pipe it to the mufflers?
Appreciate 0