BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

07-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
JohnGarziglia
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2009 E90 M3

USB Port and MP3 Player Help Needed

This concerns an E90 built last month (6/09) with i-Drive and the USB port in the center console.

I have an MP3 player (a Haier ibiza Rhapsody with an 8 gig flashdrive -more on why that one in a moment) connected to the center console USB port. Even though it uses an MTP format and BMW says it wil not work, the i-Drive system recognizes it just fine when plugged in, and I can play what I want from it.

(The reason I am using a Haier ibiza Rhapsody is that it download podcasts wirelessly so while the car is parked overnight in my garage, it accesses my Wi-Fi automatically and downloads the latest audio podcasts I have specified so I can listen to them while driving the next day.)

BUT, after connecting perfectly the first time with the ibiza player turned off, when left connected in the car, the next time I start the car, the i-Drive does not recognize the player as connected, and I must physically turn on the player to have it show up in the i-Drive even though the player when connecting to a computer does not need to be turned on for the computer to see the flash drive. Seems to me since the USB port accesses the flash drive in the player directly, when power comes through the USB port when starting the car it should also fire up the connection to the player's flash drive. What am I missing here? I have tried setting the ibiza to stay on all the time (i.e. never go in the sleep mode) and that has not made any difference.

I am going to play with it more this weekend but if someone with a more knowledge of how the i-Drive USB port works with MP3 players has any thoughts, it would be most appreciated. Thanks.

John
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
JohnGarziglia
Rep

I figured out the problem so I am posting a reply to my own message. The ibiza Rhapsody MP3 player, with the podcast aggregator, needs a constant source of 5 volts through the USB cable to enable the BMW screen to "see" the player each time the car is used. I have now done that. I will start a new thread with the title "Installing Automatic Podcast Aggregator in 2009 E90" which was the result I was trying to obtain from my question above.

John
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

The best way to use the USB interface is just to buy a usb stick and put everything on that... I have a 32g USB stick which can fit loads of mp3 and so on...
The most practical and best way in my opinion.
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
JohnGarziglia
Rep

Unfortuantely, there is no "USB Stick" that I am aware of that has a built-in podcast aggregator that can be set up to download podcasts wirelessly from a Wi-Fi connection. My goal was to have a podcast aggregator that would automatically and seamlessly download podcasts on a daily basis while parked in my garage from my home Wi-Fi connection into the car. It now does that. Copying MP3s from a computer to a USB stick, taking the USB stick out to the car, plugging it into the car, and listening to MP3s off the USB stick is an entirely different thing.
Appreciate 0