BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Mporium BMW

07-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #23
Jasom
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Appreciate the advice guys. I plan on putting all your comments and the rest of what is online in to consideration and making as informed a decision as possible.

I'm not championing OEM parts or claiming BE bearings fail, just passing on what Kaleel told me in his experience as the owner at Worx.

BE failures seem hard to find online. OEM bearings can fail but they are old now. BE bearings are not as common, only some amount of us enthusiasts cars will have them and they haven't been around as long. I don't think anyone can say it's impossible for them to not fail but it's possible they are superior.

Majority of M3's haven't experienced bearing failure at all and most changes are done preventatively by enthusiasts, which is a small amount of cars globally. There are still heaps of cars out there on original bearings with high mileage, are they just lucky or are they just cars that from day one were warmed up correctly and had decent oil?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 02:07 AM   #24
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

No one would want to be part of the 1-5% failure statistic (and costly at that) so I would get it done. Plus if and when it comes time to sell, a buyer will most definitely go for the one with the bearings done over the one without it as no one will know exactly how a car was cared for or treated.
Appreciate 2
MJBO2497.50
      07-13-2019, 02:17 AM   #25
Jasom
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza View Post
No one would want to be part of the 1-5% failure statistic (and costly at that) so I would get it done. Plus if and when it comes time to sell, a buyer will most definitely go for the one with the bearings done over the one without it as no one will know exactly how a car was cared for or treated.
Yeah that's a good point
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #26
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 6MT ZCP LCI 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTM333 View Post
Having said that. If you look at an 11+ build date. With excellent service records I wouldn't be concerned. If you stick to the cold start protocol you won't need to worry about the rod bearings. Unless your going down the supercharged road but again. If fluid changes are frequent, you will be ok.
Shifting the conversation away from OEM vs. BE bearings and back to whether to change or not ...
If you've owned the car from new and always followed a sensible warm up procedure, that gives a lot of confidence that there's no real need to change. However if you buy a used M3 with say 70,000 km on the clock, you really don't know what the previous owner(s) did to the engine when cold even if they claim they were gentle. The worry of failure is possibly greater if the previous owner did oil changes every 20,000 km.

So the question then becomes, when do I change bearings for peace of mind? Wait till 100,000 km? Earlier? Later? Southern BM say they've removed bearings at 40,000 km that were absolutely stuffed but also ones at 100,000 km that were completely fine.

Regarding the comment of looking for an 11+ build date, my understanding is 2007 - 2010 had copper rod bearings. 2010 - end of run (LCI) had updated bearings made of aluminium but of the same dimensions/ tolerances. So all E9x M3s have the same tolerance issue if revved when cold. Oil analysis to detect copper only works for 1st generation bearings and not for 2nd as they were made of aluminium.

Last edited by E90M3_Guy; 07-13-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #27
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3_Guy View Post

So the question then becomes, when do I change bearings for peace of mind? Wait till 100,000 km? Earlier? Later? Southern BM say they've removed bearings at 40,000 km that were absolutely stuffed but also ones at 100,000 km that were completely fine.
They said my 100k bearings were in great shape
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #28
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

Quote:
when do I change bearings for peace of mind?
If you accept they need to be changed, I'd do it as soon as your budget would allow it so you can get it over with and enjoy the car without the extra worry.

I went with this because I drive my car less than 5k a year anyway, so to get my 80k car to 100k would take me 4 years and I didn't want to drive it with the stress of not knowing the condition of the bearings for the next 4 years
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #29
Jasom
Australia
Rep

Yeah I'll change them as I can't vouch for the previous owners care and attention. I'm budgeting for having them done, probably fairly soon after purchase.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #30
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza View Post
If you accept they need to be changed, I'd do it as soon as your budget would allow it so you can get it over with and enjoy the car without the extra worry.
This is why I did mine and budgeted accordingly before buying the car.

Depending on what a PPI says I'd consider doing the DCT service as well. Leaks seem very common, and I wasn't surprised when my PPI said mine was.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #31
ACTM333
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3 SC Man VF550

Quote:

Regarding the comment of looking for an 11+ build date, my understanding is 2007 - 2010 had copper rod bearings. 2010 - end of run (LCI) had updated bearings made of aluminium but of the same dimensions/ tolerances. So all E9x M3s have the same tolerance issue if revved when cold. Oil analysis to detect copper only works for 1st generation bearings and not for 2nd as they were made of aluminium.
This is true for the most part. The mounting tabs are slightly better and thicker i believe. This aids in the wear process and potential failing point of the series 1 bearings. The main difference is the wear pattern and durability is substantially increased with the LCI bearings.
Again to my point of warm up protocols. Frequent oil changes and so on.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 03:48 AM   #32
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 6MT ZCP LCI 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTM333 View Post
This is true for the most part. The mounting tabs are slightly better and thicker i believe. This aids in the wear process and potential failing point of the series 1 bearings. The main difference is the wear pattern and durability is substantially increased with the LCI bearings.
Again to my point of warm up protocols. Frequent oil changes and so on.
Thank you for this valuable information. The improved locating tabs on LCI S65 engines gives me some added confidence.

This is one of the better videos I've seen on the subject. It shows 2011 LCI bearings as well as 2008 bearings removed from M3s. It also shows the 'dropping-the-sub-frame' method of changing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUzwmryKu9A
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #33
bennyfx
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Got my bearings done and DCT serviced at SouthernBM. Been happy with the service there.

I get the likelihood of a bearing failure is low, but felt worth the piece of mind with 100k on the clock.

Had the car a year and 6000km and has been great so far. Just installed wireless CarPlay today!
more info on the wireless carplay? where can i get my hands on these?

is it the retrofit avin USA kit?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 02:05 AM   #34
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyfx View Post
more info on the wireless carplay? where can i get my hands on these?

is it the retrofit avin USA kit?

thanks!
This is what I bought: http://s.aliexpress.com/jI3eu2mU

I’m going to film a video of it when I get the chance and I’ll post I where when I do.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #35
bennyfx
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6sp

Quote:

I’m going to film a video of it when I get the chance and I’ll post I where when I do.
cheers mate, keen on the video! but at $500 its worth just going for it. i've done worse things w. $500 on a Friday night lol

thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #36
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyfx View Post
Quote:

cheers mate, keen on the video! but at $500 its worth just going for it. i've done worse things w. $500 on a Friday night lol

thanks!!
I reckon so, I bought it based off the experiences of a few others on this forum who gave it the thumbs up!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:43 AM   #37
mrhobie
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixsp33d View Post
I'm not from Melbourne either but Southern BM seem to be one of the best. A good place to start as they are very experienced. http://southernbm.com.au/
They did service work on my M3, they were very good. Recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #38
Ashley_rj
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 2009 harrop s/c

Throttle bodies can be reconditioned by rebuild.org.uk really quick and cheap service with a life time guarantee! I havent heard of any bad reviews. They can send out reconditioned ones before you return yours. Well under $1000 for both mine are great!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #39
Ashley_rj
Private
Rep

BM works is a small independent garage in Preston. Lee used to work for one of the big shops and has gone out on his own. Very impressed with his service and fantastic value. Couldn’t recommend him highly enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:12 PM   #40
Ashley_rj
Private
Rep

I got my rod bearings done when I had my harrop supercharger installed at the harrop factory. If you want some brutal torque and don’t mind flashing the cash that’s the way to go!
Appreciate 1
Joe S150.50
      09-23-2019, 04:49 AM   #41
Joe S
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Got my bearings done and DCT serviced at SouthernBM. Been happy with the service there.

I get the likelihood of a bearing failure is low, but felt worth the piece of mind with 100k on the clock.

Had the car a year and 6000km and has been great so far. Just installed wireless CarPlay today!
How did you install apple car play ?? What's involved ??
      09-23-2019, 04:53 AM   #42
Joe S
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley_rj View Post
I got my rod bearings done when I had my harrop supercharger installed at the harrop factory. If you want some brutal torque and don’t mind flashing the cash that’s the way to go!
Totally agree 😀
      09-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #43
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
How did you install apple car play ?? What's involved ??
Best to have a look at the thread where we are discussing it here:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1546382

Long story short, the box I have works but has issues.

The wireless feature is buggy and the sound quality is poor, but switched to using wired mode plus streaming audio over factory BMW bluetooth has worked for me while the issues are sorted.

There are several brands around (I have the Kremersino), and there is a revised version of my box coming that will supposedly sort the issues. Working with the seller (on Aliexpress) about a swap for this new unit.

Despite the issues it's awesome to have in the car. With the two workarounds above, I love having CarPlay in my M3 (Waze on the display is the main benefit).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Joe S150.50
      05-14-2020, 12:30 AM   #44
Ashley_rj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
Totally agree 😀
Hey, I was browsing through one of the threads and sway your dyno chart. I was wondering what exhaust you have? I am thinking about replacing my primary cats with some high flow ones, but not sure if it’s worth it for 20kw... do you know how much boost the harrop kit makes, my boost meter says 5psi, but the internet seems to think 5.5
Appreciate 0