BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
ss540i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

E92 carbon roof retrofit

Just wanted to share my carbon roof retrofit with you guys if anyone plans on doing it. I tried to take as many pics as I could along the way so hope you enjoy. I will be uploading more pics when I install the roof and button it back up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      08-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

So sick. I have the sunroof of mine too and it's one thing I wish I could change.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Man i want to do it so bad... Did you have to cut the old roof somewhere? Or is it just unscrewing stuff? Also, did you need that harness bar welded on or does coupe come with it? I know what E90 does not
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Man i want to do it so bad... Did you have to cut the old roof somewhere? Or is it just unscrewing stuff? Also, did you need that harness bar welded on or does coupe come with it? I know what E90 does not
Judging by the dots around the perimeter of the roof, it looks like he might have had to drill out a bunch of spot welds.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limerock Grey M3 / Hellrot 1M

Did mine back in 2013. Was a fun experience.

You have to remove the headliner and drop the sunroof window and mechanism. You have to remove the front and rear glass to get to the spot welds. You have to drill/grind all the spot welds then remove the panel.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
ss540i
Private First Class
Rep

The spot welds all around the panel need to be drilled out to get the sheet metal off. There is a support on the carbon fiber equipped cars in the middle. This is to reinforce the panel so that it doesn’t get damaged in some weight is put on it. The sunroof cars don’t have that because the mechanism would be in the way. I’ll upload pics when I start finishing it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss540i View Post
The spot welds all around the panel need to be drilled out to get the sheet metal off. There is a support on the carbon fiber equipped cars in the middle. This is to reinforce the panel so that it doesn’t get damaged in some weight is put on it. The sunroof cars don’t have that because the mechanism would be in the way. I’ll upload pics when I start finishing it up.
Can you please record a video as well. I really want to do it in the near future. Do you think it is worth paying someome 3 grand for the labor to do it?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
ss540i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Can you please record a video as well. I really want to do it in the near future. Do you think it is worth paying someome 3 grand for the labor to do it?
Yea, I can take a video and send it to you that’s no problem. I think 3 grand is a little steep tbh. PM me your email or number and I’ll send that video when I take it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:15 PM   #9
ss540i
Private First Class
Rep

I got done with the carbon roof swap and the Fox red full interior swap. Also did some exterior mods....carbon splitters, mirror caps, spoiler, side skirt extensions, and gintani diffuser. Bbs Lmr’s and full Akra exhaust were also added. I’d have to say it was a lot of work, but very pleased with the look. Car is lowered in eibach sport springs. What do you guys think? Anytnhing I should have done different?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:19 PM   #10
ss540i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I got done with the carbon roof swap and the Fox red full interior swap. Also did some exterior mods....carbon splitters, mirror caps, spoiler, side skirt extensions, and gintani diffuser. Bbs Lmr’s and full Akra exhaust were also added. I’d have to say it was a lot of work, but very pleased with the look. Car is lowered in eibach sport springs. What do you guys think? Anytnhing I should have done different?
Site isn’t letting me upload pics. I’ll try again later
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
ss540i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Site isn’t letting me upload pics. I’ll try again later
Got them uploaded. What do you guys think? Last pic is when I had the interior stripped out to install the fox red.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
UPSROD945.50
DirtyM3306.00
Battle161.50
DrFerry6727.00
      09-06-2018, 12:50 AM   #12
Davidnguyen204
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci

Well done sir!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #13
GodsHubris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

Looks great! Biased because I'm also AW/FR. Honestly scoring a set of FR interior to swap is a win itself as those are relatively rare to scoop up.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #14
ss540i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsHubris View Post
Looks great! Biased because I'm also AW/FR. Honestly scoring a set of FR interior to swap is a win itself as those are relatively rare to scoop up.
Yea I really did get lucky to find the interior!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:47 PM   #15
Gouki
Private
Rep
Drives: E92M3, E46M3, E63M6, SL55, 182

I just want to thank ss540i for this guide. I've just completed the carbon fibre roof retrofit.

For reference there are about 90 spot welds which I drilled out using spot weld cutter drill bits. Fortunately I bought a pack of them since they eventually blunt and require more effort, prior to drilling them out I recommend using a small drill bit for pilot holes to stop the spot weld bit slipping. There are also four nuts under the roof trims between the spot welds that need to be removed, they are painted body color. Also once you've removed the headlining there is a black glue holding the roof in place even when all the aforementioned nuts and welds are removed, continue to use a good seem splitter set to attack these areas. I purchased the BMW body adhesive for $160 and even with applicators it was not easy to apply, I recommend saving yourself some money and buy smaller containers of a 4-6 hour dry auto body weld (black/white) when mixed becomes grey because it seems to be a similar type.

Unfortunately upon removing my windshield it cracked so another is being installed this week. I'm happy to answer any questions regarding the install process while this is still fresh in my memory.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #16
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
A lot of work, should have bought the car that you wanted in the first place...not rare!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #17
Gouki
Private
Rep
Drives: E92M3, E46M3, E63M6, SL55, 182

Agreed, but I bought the least expensive manual e92 in the area at the time. Beggars cannot be choosers!

In an ideal world I'd have a BMW M3 GTS/M4 GTS manual which doesn't exist.
Appreciate 1
UPSROD945.50
      10-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #18
evomike
Private
Rep
Drives: 12 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
I just want to thank ss540i for this guide. I've just completed the carbon fibre roof retrofit.

For reference there are about 90 spot welds which I drilled out using spot weld cutter drill bits. Fortunately I bought a pack of them since they eventually blunt and require more effort, prior to drilling them out I recommend using a small drill bit for pilot holes to stop the spot weld bit slipping. There are also four nuts under the roof trims between the spot welds that need to be removed, they are painted body color. Also once you've removed the headlining there is a black glue holding the roof in place even when all the aforementioned nuts and welds are removed, continue to use a good seem splitter set to attack these areas. I purchased the BMW body adhesive for $160 and even with applicators it was not easy to apply, I recommend saving yourself some money and buy smaller containers of a 4-6 hour dry auto body weld (black/white) when mixed becomes grey because it seems to be a similar type.

Unfortunately upon removing my windshield it cracked so another is being installed this week. I'm happy to answer any questions regarding the install process while this is still fresh in my memory.
do not take his advice and use non approved BMW body adhesive if you do decide to take this on, if you use the wrong glue and get in an accident that depends on the roof being part of the structure it will not be the same and could end up causing someone to get real hurt.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #19
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

E92 CF Roof Reinforcement

Waking up an old thread here. Where can I buy #9 reinforcement bar? Otherwise, looks like you need to fab this brace similar bar to make the E92 work.
Attached Images

11-08-2022, 09:57 PM   #20
PnwE92
Rep
Drives: E92 bmw me

Quote:
Just wanted to share my carbon roof retrofit with you guys if anyone plans on doing it. I tried to take as many pics as I could along the way so hope you enjoy. I will be uploading more pics when I install the roof and button it back up.

What is that metal piece that you had to install in the center inside of the car? Is that the support beam? Also, did you have to remove the rear and front windshield?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 12:22 AM   #21
PnwE92
Rep
Drives: E92 bmw me

Quote:

Hey, sorry to bother you again SS do you have any idea where I can get that center metal piece for the support on the roof in the middle for the carbon fiber roof install? Also do both windshields need to come out front and rear to install it correctly? My e92 M3 has a sunroof. I’m cutting out the entire roof and doing a carbon fiber roof. Can you please help me out if I have any questions please?
Appreciate 0