BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 328Ci

Talking I have to share my experience...

Having the privilege to post here has been quite a process, but I must make a post. I'll open by saying I do not own an E9x. I actually own a non-M E46 and typically am on the e46 fanatics. I guess it's partially due to my time there, but for the past year I've been hearing how the E46 M3 is the best car ever (Chris Harris...others I can't think of). I got to drive an E46 M3 back in August and it failed to meet the hype surrounded by it. It's also worth mentioning that it wasn't very fast, and reeked of coolant by the end of my drive. I'm sure if I drove a mechanically sound one my experience could be different, but that hasn't happened.

But I'm here writing about an E93. I was with my friend at my local Audi dealership and spotted an E93 M3 sitting there. It has been there since September, when my girlfriend bought her Audi there. I had a salesman come up to me and asked what I thought of it. We exchanged a few words, and he had my license and came back with the key. I was shocked I was here, given than I'm 18, probably look younger, and definitely can't afford this car. He put some gas in it, pulled off and said, "I don't know how else to say this, but don't kill us." All I have to say is wow!! I've driven a lot of cars, fast and slow, new and old, but nothing is has been as much fun as that car. I can't imagine how much more fun it would be without my two passengers (salesmen and girlfriend) and without a heavy roof in the back. I also don't know what the hell Chris Harris and car throttle were thinking by calling the E46 M3 better than an E9x M3.

The E9x is on a completely different pedestal. That thing was an animal. The E9x is far more aggressive in sound, character, and handling. I loved how harshly the power came on throttle, and how the whole care just jolts forward. The sound is far better than any inline 6 (although I feel the S54 is special in it's own way), but I do feel that it could have been louder (I'm typically not one to say we should make cars louder, but the M235i is the same story). Digging my foot 3/4 into the brakes felt the same as slamming the brakes on the E46 M3. The seats make you feel more special, and I don't feel that technology intrudes on the driving experience. E46 members love saying that it's the perfect balance between technology and driving experience, but they haven't driven an E9x apparently. It handled strong, but obviously didn't take it to the limits on a test drive. The salesmen was scared enough as it was (I wasn't going that fast )

In short, I have to say you guys are so lucky to own these cars! That is the most fun I've had behind the wheel, and it's hard to admit to myself that a coupe with less passengers would be even more exhilarating at the limit. I couldn't get that car out of my mind for...well it still isn't. I drove it Friday. I don't know when I'll get over it, but my dream car is no longer an E46 M3. That and the E9x can have bluetooth!

In other news, if anyone's in the market for a DCT E93, it's a 2012 with 15k miles for $47k in the SF Bay Area. Based on auto trader, that's a really good deal. It's loaded (nav, EDC, DCT...), PM me if you want details. There's definitely some bargaining room since it's been sitting for nearly half a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
can't be sold now with the recall going on
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
VitSports6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3, DCT

This is similar to my feelings, we went from an e36 m3 sedan to an e90 m3, there are no comparisons, I love our e90 more each day I drive it and I wish I drove it every day.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #4
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
can't be sold now with the recall going on
I think non-BMW dealers and independent stores can still sell effected BMW's.

And to the OP- It was a smart move by the dealer to let an 18 year old take a peek at something beyond his reach. It made an impression and you are young. It's only a matter of time!

As a 67 year old car nut, I am thrilled to see young blood come into the hobby. It's why I hang out at local SCCA autocross events.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:58 PM   #5
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post

And to the OP- It was a smart move by the dealer to let an 18 year old take a peek at something beyond his reach. It made an impression and you are young. It's only a matter of time!

As a 67 year old car nut, I am thrilled to see young blood come into the hobby. It's why I hang out at local SCCA autocross events.
Agreed that they can still sell it. If they can't, they'll sell it and play dum. Never thought of the view the dealer has. Perhaps would explain why the dealer said I could drive an M4 next time after I drove an M235i...but man I hate my BMW dealer
Yeah, in my area anyway, it seems car enthusiasts are dying off. Back in my high school of 1,400, there were only about 10 gear heads. I'm sure this is talked about extensively, but even more of them aren't interested in manuals. I've never had the opportunity to learn (I've asked before too), but that DCT makes me feel like automatics are okay. I'm sure rev-matching can be a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
This is similar to my feelings, we went from an e36 m3 sedan to an e90 m3, there are no comparisons, I love our e90 more each day I drive it and I wish I drove it every day.
Glad we share that experience Why can't you drive it every day, what's your daily?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:59 AM   #6
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Having the privilege to post here has been quite a process, but I must make a post. I'll open by saying I do not own an E9x. I actually own a non-M E46 and typically am on the e46 fanatics. I guess it's partially due to my time there, but for the past year I've been hearing how the E46 M3 is the best car ever (Chris Harris...others I can't think of). I got to drive an E46 M3 back in August and it failed to meet the hype surrounded by it. It's also worth mentioning that it wasn't very fast, and reeked of coolant by the end of my drive. I'm sure if I drove a mechanically sound one my experience could be different, but that hasn't happened.

But I'm here writing about an E93. I was with my friend at my local Audi dealership and spotted an E93 M3 sitting there. It has been there since September, when my girlfriend bought her Audi there. I had a salesman come up to me and asked what I thought of it. We exchanged a few words, and he had my license and came back with the key. I was shocked I was here, given than I'm 18, probably look younger, and definitely can't afford this car. He put some gas in it, pulled off and said, "I don't know how else to say this, but don't kill us." All I have to say is wow!! I've driven a lot of cars, fast and slow, new and old, but nothing is has been as much fun as that car. I can't imagine how much more fun it would be without my two passengers (salesmen and girlfriend) and without a heavy roof in the back. I also don't know what the hell Chris Harris and car throttle were thinking by calling the E46 M3 better than an E9x M3.

The E9x is on a completely different pedestal. That thing was an animal. The E9x is far more aggressive in sound, character, and handling. I loved how harshly the power came on throttle, and how the whole care just jolts forward. The sound is far better than any inline 6 (although I feel the S54 is special in it's own way), but I do feel that it could have been louder (I'm typically not one to say we should make cars louder, but the M235i is the same story). Digging my foot 3/4 into the brakes felt the same as slamming the brakes on the E46 M3. The seats make you feel more special, and I don't feel that technology intrudes on the driving experience. E46 members love saying that it's the perfect balance between technology and driving experience, but they haven't driven an E9x apparently. It handled strong, but obviously didn't take it to the limits on a test drive. The salesmen was scared enough as it was (I wasn't going that fast )

In short, I have to say you guys are so lucky to own these cars! That is the most fun I've had behind the wheel, and it's hard to admit to myself that a coupe with less passengers would be even more exhilarating at the limit. I couldn't get that car out of my mind for...well it still isn't. I drove it Friday. I don't know when I'll get over it, but my dream car is no longer an E46 M3. That and the E9x can have bluetooth!

In other news, if anyone's in the market for a DCT E93, it's a 2012 with 15k miles for $47k in the SF Bay Area. Based on auto trader, that's a really good deal. It's loaded (nav, EDC, DCT...), PM me if you want details. There's definitely some bargaining room since it's been sitting for nearly half a year.
Let me start off by saying I've wanted this car since I was in middle school and it got released! I was in the same situation a couple years ago, I test drove an m3 when I was 18 and fell in love even more then I already was lol. I have one thing to tell you buddy save up I'm 21 years old and worked my ass off with overtime and all kinds of bullshit for the past year and a half and now I have a 2008 e92 m3 6mt! It's not out of your price range when I started saving I knew I wanted it but I didn't think I would be able to save up enough cash, I was willing to settle for the e46 m3 but when I got to the half way mark I realized there was no point in me wasting my money on a compromise and I'm glad I didn't! Just don't give up and work hard man anything is possible if you put your mind to it! GOOD LUCK! It is worth it!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:32 AM   #7
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dimi View Post
Let me start off by saying I've wanted this car since I was in middle school and it got released! I was in the same situation a couple years ago, I test drove an m3 when I was 18 and fell in love even more then I already was lol. I have one thing to tell you buddy save up I'm 21 years old and worked my ass off with overtime and all kinds of bullshit for the past year and a half and now I have a 2008 e92 m3 6mt! It's not out of your price range when I started saving I knew I wanted it but I didn't think I would be able to save up enough cash, I was willing to settle for the e46 m3 but when I got to the half way mark I realized there was no point in me wasting my money on a compromise and I'm glad I didn't! Just don't give up and work hard man anything is possible if you put your mind to it! GOOD LUCK! It is worth it!
Thanks for the kind words and motivation. I've done a lot of growing in the past year as it is, so it's hard to imagine having one at 21, personally more power to you. Can I ask what you do? I obviously have no problem working OT, but not all jobs allow it and I can't imagine having $40k out of college. Not sure what my future has in store for me yet since I haven't declared my major yet. That's my summer task :P I wouldn't want an E92 until I had a daily as well, and of course a garage for the e92 to live in dreaming big again :P
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
VitSports6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3, DCT

Quote:
Glad we share that experience Why can't you drive it every day, what's your daily?
The M3 is our daily, but working with family, my dad and I drive in together, sometimes he picks me up, they have a 2012 e93 M3 as well and sometimes I ride my bike into work.
Have a great weekend!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words and motivation. I've done a lot of growing in the past year as it is, so it's hard to imagine having one at 21, personally more power to you. Can I ask what you do? I obviously have no problem working OT, but not all jobs allow it and I can't imagine having $40k out of college. Not sure what my future has in store for me yet since I haven't declared my major yet. That's my summer task :P I wouldn't want an E92 until I had a daily as well, and of course a garage for the e92 to live in dreaming big again :P
I took that time off of school which honestly I wouldn't recommend unless you are really determined on getting it now like I was! School is very important and that's why I'm back in there now but as for work I work as a technician for a company that does things in entertainment ex: concerts,shows,movies. It's only temporary while I'm getting my degree but I'm going to major in computer engineering most likely or programming haven't decided yet then I'll focus on the ferraris haha I want one by the time I'm 30 so yea gota dream big! Again good luck with everything!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post
I believe this is correct. I have a friend who just purchased a effected 3-series from Carmax just last week.
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
I had an e46 M3 before my current car, and I must say that you must have driven an e46 that was way down on power. A properly maintained e46 M3 will still be slower than the e92 M3, but not by a substantial margin. That having been said, your observations are pretty much spot on.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Quote:

Someone once gave me the best advice in the world... How do I know if I can afford a car? Here is the answer,

At the current price, you are looking at a $800 per month payment... So if you wonder if you can afford it, have $600-$800 taken right out of your paycheck for 2 years and put in a savings account. If you can do this for 2 years, you ARE ready for a purchase. And guess what, you would have accumulated about $14,400-$19,600 in the process. Now you have a downpayment, you know you can afford the car, and because of your savings, you are able to buy the car and keep the payment in the $500/mo range. The best part... You can tell your "other half" that you could have spent $800/mo on a car, but because you are a responsible guy, you saved and now you are paying only $500/mo. I bet she drops down on her knees and asks you to marry her...

Obvioidly this makes a lot of assumptions about loan interest rates, car depreciation value, "other half" that may or may not be constantly questioning you "why do you need a $800/mo car", but it's worth a try! Welcome to the club of "dreamers"!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dimi View Post
I took that time off of school which honestly I wouldn't recommend unless you are really determined on getting it now like I was! School is very important and that's why I'm back in there now but as for work I work as a technician for a company that does things in entertainment ex: concerts,shows,movies. It's only temporary while I'm getting my degree but I'm going to major in computer engineering most likely or programming haven't decided yet then I'll focus on the ferraris haha I want one by the time I'm 30 so yea gota dream big! Again good luck with everything!
Oh my. Yeah, I definitely can't afford to take time off school. Good for you though, you worked for it and earned it and you're taking the right path to get a Ferrari. If you're a manual kind of guy, the F430 sticks are dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
I had an e46 M3 before my current car, and I must say that you must have driven an e46 that was way down on power. A properly maintained e46 M3 will still be slower than the e92 M3, but not by a substantial margin. That having been said, your observations are pretty much spot on.
Yeah, I know it was. It's unfortunate that that has been my only impression of the car, but I'm sure another opportunity will come up when it's time, probably at a car show or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedA View Post
...At the current price, you are looking at a $800 per month payment... So if you wonder if you can afford it, have $600-$800 taken right out of your paycheck for 2 years and put in a savings account. If you can do this for 2 years, you ARE ready for a purchase. And guess what, you would have accumulated about $14,400-$19,600 in the process. Now you have a downpayment, you know you can afford the car, and because of your savings, you are able to buy the car and keep the payment in the $500/mo range. The best part... You can tell your "other half" that you could have spent $800/mo on a car, but because you are a responsible guy, you saved and now you are paying only $500/mo. I bet she drops down on her knees and asks you to marry her...

Obvioidly this makes a lot of assumptions about loan interest rates, car depreciation value, "other half" that may or may not be constantly questioning you "why do you need a $800/mo car", but it's worth a try! Welcome to the club of "dreamers"!
I'll tell you right now, I'm very far from that purchase . I spend a lot of time at school and am going to be in school even more next year because some of my transferrable credits are no longer transferable, and therefore I have to take more classes. Nonetheless, that's very good purchasing advice. At the time, I'm not even making $800/mo . I don't want to get more personal than that, but I've recently quietly started my own business. If I aggressively promote myself and start building up clientele, there's no reason I couldn't make more than $800/mo. The E92's have already taken decent depreciation hits, and we all deserve a little something something nice .
As for my girlfriend, no she won't . We've only been dating for two weeks (have known her for 5 years and have been "talking" for 8 months), but I already guide her financially. She sees how I handle my money and how long I can make a dollar last, so she sees me as responsible . She wants to guide peoples investments and to invest her own money, but she doesn't know where to put her money. ex: she bought a car for $12k that was worth 8 (before we talked), had it for sale for 7.5, and was willing to sell it for 6.5 to the first buyer. I've just recently convinced her to get a credit card to help build up credit. She's really scared about it, so I told her to ease into it and just buy small things at the end of each month.

Edit: Sorry, but I love talking about numbers and finances :0
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #14
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

These are great cars. Lots of hard work to get into mine. Luck wasn't a factor.
      04-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #15
Tupug
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E93

I drove Uber for a year.. 9 hrs a day 365 days.. and studied at the same time for my masters.

I fell in love with the car when I rented it for my trip to San Fran last year
I almost cried while driving it because it was freaking hilarious
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #16
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
These are great cars. Lots of hard work to get into mine. Luck wasn't a factor.
And what a great way to show how hard you work with a beast machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupug View Post
I drove Uber for a year.. 9 hrs a day 365 days.. and studied at the same time for my masters.

I fell in love with the car when I rented it for my trip to San Fran last year
I almost cried while driving it because it was freaking hilarious
As funny as it may sound, that's exactly how I reacted when I got my E46. It was always told to me that BMW's were so unattainable, and to drive one as my first car is the greatest pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #17
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Eh, E9X is bigger and heavier. I didn't like that. Seats are meh too. I like E46 seats more.

You drove a shitty E46.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #18
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Not to burst your bubble, but the vert e93 M3 is just as fast as an e46 m3 coupe... That is if you could actually drive a healthy one that is not leaking coolant...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #19
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
Eh, E9X is bigger and heavier. I didn't like that. Seats are meh too. I like E46 seats more.
You drove a shitty E46.
Yes, and I do admit that it was most likely not in good condition under the hood. I just spotted one today by an independent used lot, and will probably ask to drive it tomorrow. I also LOVED the E92 M3 seats far more than the E46 M3 seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but the vert e93 M3 is just as fast as an e46 m3 coupe... That is if you could actually drive a healthy one that is not leaking coolant...
The E46 I drove was definitely closer in speed to my E46 328 than it was to the E93 convertible. I wasn't displeased with the speed of the convertible, however more wouldn't feel out of control or anything I don't believe the coolant leak (or whatever caused a smell while idling) effected the speed of the car. In my opinion. We weren't out on the road too long, but the oil temp gauge climbed to about 5 o'clock under medium pressure.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:52 PM   #20
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Good story bro!
Best way to know? Is to experience it for yourself.
If your wowed! By a simple test drive? Then your reaction from driving one in M-mode will be price less.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:20 AM   #21
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
I just purchased my 2011 e90 m3 back in October and I absolutely love it. I love it more than any other car I have ever driven. Period. But I have found that maintainence on it can get rather pricy. And more expensive than work on the non-M models would cost. I am 36 and make 150k+ so I figured since I have wanted an m3 (e46, e90) then for 15 years, now was the time to do it before marriage and kids. And I got the 4 door in preparation. But the point is, if I did not make what I make (and I know over half of the guys on this forum make more than that) I would not have bought that car. It still makes me nervous. If you blow an engine;15k-10k, throttle actuators, brakes and rotors are expensive as hell, BMW labour is 120/hr, indie shop is 90/hr for euro auto, bearing preventative replacement is not cheap, tires are expensive, so are wheels, etc.. So affording to put a down payment is great. But if your car suddenly needs 4 to 5k worth of work.. what then? Do you have the financial backing and/or resources to expeditiously, and without putting undue pressure on your familly and friends, fix it? It would be tough. I have another car I commute in. A 5sp hyundai, great gas milage and easy to drive. And then, say, 2 yrs into owning the car it starts to have problems and you just can't afford it..but what do you do? Gotta put an aftermarket warranty on it I would think. But those don't cover maintenance so you still have that. Oil changes at the dealer here are $190. If you are young and do not have solid resources, I would probably not get an e9x m3.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #22
YoitsTmac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300 View Post
Good story bro!
Best way to know? Is to experience it for yourself.
If your wowed! By a simple test drive? Then your reaction from driving one in M-mode will be price less.
By M-mode, you're referring to an F30 or F80 car, right? I had the E93 in the most aggressive settings
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
I just purchased my 2011 e90 m3 back in October and I absolutely love it. I love it more than any other car I have ever driven. Period. But I have found that maintainence on it can get rather pricy. And more expensive than work on the non-M models would cost. I am 36 and make 150k+ so I figured since I have wanted an m3 (e46, e90) then for 15 years, now was the time to do it before marriage and kids. And I got the 4 door in preparation. But the point is, if I did not make what I make (and I know over half of the guys on this forum make more than that) I would not have bought that car. It still makes me nervous.....
I completely understand the financial toll these cars are capable of. When I bought my E46, it was the top of my budget, and there were 3k of maintenance bills to follow. I still have another ~$1,200 in maintenance I should/need to do. Yes, it was my first purchase, and I wasn't even a hundredth of how smart I am now, so please don't lecture me about PPI or private owners or maintenance records. I learned the hard way. I know the M/// cars are even more expensive than non-M's, which require a lot of financial love as it is. Luckily I know my limits, but if I push myself theres no reason as to why I couldn't afford my maintenance in say 6 months (building up clients)
Appreciate 0